The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M8 Best Lens for Landscapes

I have been happy with my Elmarit 28mm. Seems like a good match for landscapes on my M8. Would love the Summicron 28mm but my budget does not current allow for it.

Prob. a stupid thing, but I like the way the framelines of 28mm lens look in my M8's viewfinder. Anything wider would be hard to see. 28mm feels very natural to me. It hasn't seen that much use (the elmarit) since I got my 50mm summicron but I may switch back in a bit. I personally like only carrying one lens when I'm walking around.

http://danielvalentephotography.com/2009/10/leica-elmarit-28mm-review-for-m8/

Anders_HK

Hi

The important is not the lens itself, but the character in perspective it brings! - the seeing part :).

Jack Dykinga in his book Large Format Photography speaks of his use of different lenses from his Leica days and how now his large format lenses have comparable focal lengths - each having individual character. The preference is personal, but a study of the images in his book give good guidance, to be adapted to personal taste.

Personally I got serious into photography with Nikon zooms, but... I have found what seems my favorite focal lengths for landscape and people photography;

based on 35mm equivalents...

~17.5mm ; (I assume this would be the CV 12mm on M8), for LF 58mm
(my very wide, for placing one subject with camera in low, near focus and subject in attention, with capture of the very wide behind/surround)

~22mm ; for M8 15mm, for Aptus 65 is 28mm, for LF is 72mm
(my normal wide, lovely angle, I much prefer ~22 over 20mm)

~38-45mm; for M8 28mm, for Aptus 65 is 45mm, for LF is 150mm
(wide but to my eye comfortable so, 35mm is too wide, 50 too long)

~60-80mm; for M8 50mm, for Aptus 65 is 110mm
(for people photo and whenever not use wide, for M8 use CV 50 1.1, for Mamiya 645 use 80mm 1.9, both very shallow DOF)

~200; for Aptus 65 is 300mm (rarely used or carried)
(wildlife etc, and bokeh is nice)

Interesting is that for 617 my eye is now attracted to images with 90mm lens... and that this corresponds close to 17mm in width and 45mm in height...

Perhaps you have similar eye, or tad different preference?

Regards
Anders

Lloyd

Hi

The important is not the lens itself, but the character in perspective it brings! - the seeing part :).

Jack Dykinga in his book Large Format Photography speaks of his use of different lenses from his Leica days and how now his large format lenses have comparable focal lengths - each having individual character. The preference is personal, but a study of the images in his book give good guidance, to be adapted to personal taste.

Personally I got serious into photography with Nikon zooms, but... I have found what seems my favorite focal lengths for landscape and people photography;

based on 35mm equivalents...

~17.5mm ; (I assume this would be the CV 12mm on M8), for LF 58mm
(my very wide, for placing one subject with camera in low, near focus and subject in attention, with capture of the very wide behind/surround)

~22mm ; for M8 15mm, for Aptus 65 is 28mm, for LF is 72mm
(my normal wide, lovely angle, I much prefer ~22 over 20mm)

~38-45mm; for M8 28mm, for Aptus 65 is 45mm, for LF is 150mm
(wide but to my eye comfortable so, 35mm is too wide, 50 too long)

~60-80mm; for M8 50mm, for Aptus 65 is 110mm
(for people photo and whenever not use wide, for M8 use CV 50 1.1, for Mamiya 645 use 80mm 1.9, both very shallow DOF)

~200; for Aptus 65 is 300mm (rarely used or carried)
(wildlife etc, and bokeh is nice)

Interesting is that for 617 my eye is now attracted to images with 90mm lens... and that this corresponds close to 17mm in width and 45mm in height...

Perhaps you have similar eye, or tad different preference?

Regards
Anders
Good analysis, Anders. I agree on almost every point.

S

steve728

Lots of positive reviews on the 28mm. What are your thoughts on the 24/2.8 on a M8?

Lloyd

Lots of positive reviews on the 28mm. What are your thoughts on the 24/2.8 on a M8?
That 24/2.8 is a terrific lens. Has some very special qualities about it. I love it as a "Street" lens on the M8, but I would be good for landscape as well.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
CV 21 f4 Skopar is a very nice landscape lens on the M8. Quite sharp at f5.6 and smaller, and decent contrast.

Mike

Interesting re: CV 21mm - def. an economical choice and if it can run with the 24mm Elmarit or 25mm ZM Zeiss that would be awesome, and I see it uses 39mm Filters...

How do you code it for your M8, or do you just leave and deal with the cyan-drift?

2x2

Speaking of 24/25mm lenses, don't forget the CV 25mm f/4 P with Leica M mount (rangefinder coupled). Amazing little lens that goes for about $380 US.
Here's a sample (vertical), shot with the CV 25/f4P and M8. The second pic (horizontal) is shot with the 50/f1.4 Summilux.

Lloyd

Interesting re: CV 21mm - def. an economical choice and if it can run with the 24mm Elmarit or 25mm ZM Zeiss that would be awesome, and I see it uses 39mm Filters...

How do you code it for your M8, or do you just leave and deal with the cyan-drift?
Mine is coded as a 21 Elmarit.

Lloyd

Speaking of 24/25mm lenses, don't forget the CV 25mm f/4 P with Leica M mount (rangefinder coupled). Amazing little lens that goes for about $380 US.
Here's a sample (vertical), shot with the CV 25/f4P and M8. The second pic (horizontal) is shot with the 50/f1.4 Summilux.
Good point my friend, and beautiful images.

Double Negative

Not Available
I use a 2,8/25 Biogon ZM and it's just ridiculously sharp. At f/5.6 or so, you're in the lens' sweet spot, nearly everything is in focus due to the DoF. Set your focus just shy of infinity and you can basically P&S all day long.

Here's a recent with the 28 elmarit... Not edited, yet. Good color out of this lens. The day was very contrasty.
Where was this taken? It looks very... Familiar.

gogopix

Subscriber
A couple of samples with the M8 and 28mm lenses.

28 Cron:

CV 28/1.9:
Really great shots, and the lens certainly captures the depth and feel. The 28mm 2.0 is my "walkaround" lens, a 35mm equivalent on the M8

BTW, I had a problem with the front part coming loose. Sent to Leica and they are fixing under warranty. David at Dale Labs says this has happened with a few. Anyone else have this problem. (It immediately shows up because focus is off.)

Victor

Lloyd

Really great shots, and the lens certainly captures the depth and feel. The 28mm 2.0 is my "walkaround" lens, a 35mm equivalent on the M8

BTW, I had a problem with the front part coming loose. Sent to Leica and they are fixing under warranty. David at Dale Labs says this has happened with a few. Anyone else have this problem. (It immediately shows up because focus is off.)

Victor
Thnks Victor. Yes, I had the problem as well with my 28 Cron. I mentioned it to my local Leica rep (as my lens was out of warranty). There are three small screw holding the front portion in place, and I was missing one, and one of those remaining was loose, and kept working itself loose after being tightened. He contacted Leica service in New Jersey, and they sent me out some replacements. I just check them from time to time, and it's all good now.

BTW, thanks for the profile, I loaded it (I had the prior versions of your profiles), but I'm not seeing the "corrected" version when using C1.