The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Christmas list: Leica Books

soboyle

I'm new to Leica, just picked up my first body, a M8, and what perfect timing for a gift book about Leica's from my wife. I'm looking for suggestions on the best books on Leica, especially shooting techniques, tricks for fast focus, getting the most from the lenses and cameras etc. I'm not as interested in books just devoted to leica lenses (actually it's not because I'm not interested, it's because it will have me spending all my money on glass!). Thanks, and happy holidays.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
For the M8 there's always Brian Bower's Leica M Digital Photography, or his prior Leica M Photography books. Not too technical but interesting at least about the lenses and general Leica approach etc.

My personal favorite Leica book of all time is Gunter Osterloh's Leica M: Advanced Photo School although it seems to be only available at absolutely stupid prices these days. It's my Leica 'bible' as it covers pretty much everything related to Leica cameras, lenses and use, albeit now getting a little dated. If you can find it at a sensible price, snap it up.

M

mickdaniel

Leica M Digital Photography: M8/M8 by Brian Bower is a great book. You may also find photography.pro's list of best leica books useful.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Leica Lens Compendium by Erwin Puts. An essential reference work. All versions of all lenses explained. Serial numbers so you can tell one version from another. About 10 years out of date - Puts's website covers newer lenses. His website says that he's going to e-publish a new version.

Unfortunately this too is out of print and is fetching collector prices. I'll have to shrink wrap my copy.