The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Skylark day - let's have a springtime thread

doug

I'm not sure that the european robin is a thrush (is it or is it considered to be related to an old world flycatcher). I know I was confused to find that the nightingale was a type of thrush (or is it now considered to be a flycatcher?too).
Apparently the european Robin and the Nightingale are now thought to be related to old world flycathers rather than thrushes.

scott kirkpatrick

Apparently the european Robin and the Nightingale are now thought to be related to old world flycathers rather than thrushes.
I guess Wikipedia isn't the best birder's reference. I knew the two robins were different, but my quick research turned up pictures of the skylark that made it look rather like a robin, with different coloration but similar shape. Are they different sizes? And our pair of robins take turns sitting on a branch in the evening, so perhaps they are checking out tree homesites. I'll haul out my E3 with 50-200 tomorrow and see if I can catch them at work.

scott

helenhill

Today..winter wheat coming up...
Helen thats quite a crib
Thanks Mike......isn't it GRAND
Wish it were mine (but actually I'm more into MOD these days)
but i have the BEST CLIENTS in the World
This is one of my next Projects .......Its Ten Bedroom/10 Bath
Recently bought from the Luce Family (the owners of Time Magazine):)

gogopix

Subscriber
can you get just a TAD closer next time? I can barely make you out in the bird's eye!:ROTFL:
nice shot whatever it was!

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Is that what it is? Thanks! :LOL:

That shot was taken w/ Jack's old 70-200/4IS and Mike's spare 40D. The fact that the top picture was shot w/ ISO 3200 is what I'm probably most impressed with.

woodyspedden

Is that what it is? Thanks! :LOL:

That shot was taken w/ Jack's old 70-200/4IS and Mike's spare 40D. The fact that the top picture was shot w/ ISO 3200 is what I'm probably most impressed with.
Nikon seriously needs to produce a 70-400 4.0 lens to complete their zoom ki†. The 2.8 is just too big and heavy and frankly unnecessary in this world of high ISO bodies. The Canon version is a wonderful tool so I hope that Nikon listens and gives us what we really need. Don't misunderstand me, I have the 70-200 and it is a really professional tool but I leave it at home most times because of size and weight. The lens at home takes really lousy pictures so come on Nikon, give us a 4.0 version so we can really use it.

JMHO

Woody

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
It was a beautiful, warm day here in Central Florida.
This shot was taken as the sun was going down.
M8 and 50 pre-ASPH lux

helenhill

Cindy Flood; said:
M8 and 50 pre-ASPH lux
Soooooo Beautiful
The Water Reflection of Sky /Neo Classical Perfection....Divine
:) All the Best, helen

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
M8 and 50 pre-ASPH lux
Beautiful. Looks just like a painting. So how many 50's do you have now (that that you sold the Noctilux)? And which is your favorite?

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Nikon seriously needs to produce a 70-400 4.0 lens to complete their zoom ki†.
70-400?! 4.0 :bugeyes: I agree! :) J/K!

I had to use a 1.4x (just to get 280mm) Of course that was on a 1.6 crop body so my FOV is close to 450 mm.

No seriously, I completely understand you. My 70-200/2.8IS is a descent lens, but is longer, heavily and more tiring to use than the 70-200/4IS. I'm ready to sell the 2.8 version but have a few weddings so I think I'll keep it until after those, and then make up my mind. Right now, the f4 is a part of the travel kit and I love it. As shown above, I can get a FOV around 450 mm w/ a 1.4x on my crop body and that's more than acceptable for me.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Beautiful. Looks just like a painting. So how many 50's do you have now (that that you sold the Noctilux)? And which is your favorite?
Chris,
I have the CV f1.5 Nokton and the Leica pre-ASPH Summilux. I will be selling the Nokton at some point. It is a nice, smooth lens, but has a little more contrast than Leica 50's. I have owned the 50 Lux ASPH and 50 cron. The Lux ASPH is killer sharp and the cron is just ordinary. You may have read the thread about my 50 pre-ASPH lux. It was my first 50 and I sold it after I bought the 50 lux ASPH. I just managed to finally get it back after about a year. I didn't appreciate it till it was gone.:p That won't happen again.
YMMV