The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Skylark day - let's have a springtime thread

jonoslack

HI Everyone
it's the 31st March, but today I heard skylarks. Here are some shots from a warm and sunny walk:

All taken with an M8 and the WATE

Let's see what's going on around your way (I'm guessing the cherry blossom will be out in Washington DC).

Maggie O

Things are still pretty brown and cold around here, but we've got some blue skies (not today though; spring showers here)

CV 28/3.5 Color-Skopar on the M8 @ ISO 160.

jonoslack

Things are still pretty brown and cold around here, but we've got some blue skies (not today though; spring showers here).
Nice shot Maggie - our trees shouldn't be out until the start of May, and it's still a bit brown.

These two were taken last week:

scott kirkpatrick

Hmm, spring depends on where you stand. In Jerusalem, we see the first flowers in January:

with the most exotic wildflowers, a variety of very localized irises, peaking in March:

In Boston, now, we got a dusting of snow last weekend, but I have seen robins (no skylarks) hopping around the back yard already. Will provide a picture when I meet the next one.

scott

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
You guys are killing me. I stepped off my back porch about 45 minutes ago and took this. Bah, humbug!

jonoslack

In Boston, now, we got a dusting of snow last weekend, but I have seen robins (no skylarks) hopping around the back yard already. Will provide a picture when I meet the next one.

scott
HI Scott - I think your Robins are quite different from ours? I guess it's the same for skylarks.
So, where are you now? Boston or Jerusalem? (I thought we had trouble, one house in Suffolk and another in Cornwall!

jonoslack

You guys are killing me. I stepped off my back porch about 45 minutes ago and took this. Bah, humbug!
Oh! but what a view! I just wish I had views like that off my back porch! . . . . . actually, it would be a good start to have a back porch.

Maggie O

Maggie! you've changed you're avatar, one minute you're a cross cat, the next you're a swanky bidet . . . . what ARE we to think!
:clap::clap:
Standards are down all over?

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Tim, I feel your pain! Northern Nebraska got ten inches of snow today! "Down south" here, we got a bunch of cold rain.

Terry

Blechhh... describes NY today. Grey and rainy all day. Jono I waited to comment until I got home to a big monitor. Love the shots with the flower shot making me smile knowing we do have something to look forward to over here.

scott kirkpatrick

HI Scott - I think your Robins are quite different from ours? I guess it's the same for skylarks.
A little Wikipedia time tells me that the skylark is strictly a European bird, while the American Robin is a thrush. Both nest on the ground, and they don't look all that different, but the male skylark in the right time of the year is given to hovering a few feet off the ground, while singing for minutes at a time. Never saw a robin do that. They mostly hop along the ground, and occasionally pull up a worm. But they do migrate and now they are back.

So, where are you now? Boston or Jerusalem? (I thought we had trouble, one house in Suffolk and another in Cornwall!
Boston for the year, back to Jerusalem in the Fall. Our commute takes us about 20 hours and at least one lost suitcase. You can tell we're not in Jerusalem by just heading out the front door here and down the block:

scott

S

Sean_Reid

I thought I had posted this already but, for now, my Spring looks like this. One more week and Spring will look a lot more like snow.

doug

... American Robin ... nest on the ground

The American Robin nests in trees. The Skylark was introduced in the Vancouver BC area, where a stable population has become established on Vancouver Island and the San Juan Islands.

Here's my contribution to the springtime photos, a Western Bluebird (also a thrush) from sunday morning (DMR, not M8, sorry!):

gogopix

Subscriber
sometimes a lens gets you TOO close:toocool:

dmr 800mm modular

(I guess even clicking doesnt get the REAL size, but this is over 8x10 at 100% LOL

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
That's funny!

Anyway, speaking of real blue jays, this is the best shot I could manage-real shy Guy! (sic!)

Last edited:

jonoslack

I thought I had posted this already but, for now, my Spring looks like this. One more week and Spring will look a lot more like snow.
Lovely Sean (why is that guy going swimming wearing a tablecloth?).
I hope you get a little skiing in with that snow!

jonoslack

The American Robin nests in trees. The Skylark was introduced in the Vancouver BC area, where a stable population has become established on Vancouver Island and the San Juan Islands.

Here's my contribution to the springtime photos, a Western Bluebird (also a thrush) from sunday morning (DMR, not M8, sorry!):

Hi Doug
Thank you for chipping in, it gives me an opportunity to say how much I enjoyed the Leica magazine stuff!
I don't think there was really a confusion between robins and skylarks, just between european and american robins.
I didn't know that skylarks had been introduced into Vancouver though. I love them, I still have vivid memories of lying on lush green grass next to grey granite walls listening to them as a (probably intoxicated) teenager.
I'm not sure that the european robin is a thrush (is it or is it considered to be related to an old world flycatcher). I know I was confused to find that the nightingale was a type of thrush (or is it now considered to be a flycatcher?too).