The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If you only have one lens for your M9, which would it be?

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Both Tri-Elmar lenses (16-18-21 and 28-35-50) are slow (f4).

They are handy for travel, when you want to conserve space, or walk around in good light and have flexibility with just one lens. Ultimately, the Tri-Elmar (28-35-50) is not Leica best optics, which is why it would not be my single choice.

Once you have a normal lens (my choice is the 50 Summilux ASPH), and you are ready to add some wide-angle glass, the WATE (16-18-21) is an excellent choice for the M9. It's quite a stellar performer, considering how wide it is. But again, it's slow.

One thing to consider, Tom, is how you plan to fill out your lens line-up. There are a few common strategies, depending on how many lenses you eventually plan to own.

Common line-ups (in terms of focal lengths):
2 lenses: 35 / 75
3 lenses: 28 / 50 / 90 (or 75)
4 lenses: 21 (or WATE) / 28 / 50 / 90 (or 75)

I recommend that you fill out your line-up starting from the middle, and working toward the edges. In other words, pick up a 50 before you pick up a 28 cron or WATE.

If you go with the two-lens combo of 35 / 75, then get the 35 first.

Mike

Paratom

I thought about recommending the tri 28-35-50 and my experience is very good with it. At f5.6 I can not really detect a difference in IQ compared to a Summicron in real life.
F4 there is a slight difference but its still a good lens.

However f4 would be too slow if this is the only lens.

If you went for the Tri 28-35-50 you would want to add a fast 35 or 50mm lens for low light shooting.

2x2

Common line-ups (in terms of focal lengths):
2 lenses: 35 / 75
3 lenses: 28 / 50 / 90 (or 75)
4 lenses: 21 (or WATE) / 28 / 50 / 90 (or 75)

I recommend that you fill out your line-up starting from the middle, and working toward the edges. In other words, pick up a 50 before you pick up a 28 cron or WATE.

If you go with the two-lens combo of 35 / 75, then get the 35 first.

Mike
Who are you kidding???
Once you start, you can't stop. :ROTFL:

Lloyd

In all honesty, even when I have a camera bag with a variety of lenses, I often find that I just use one most of the time. When shooting the M8, that is most often my 35 Cron ASPH, and if not, it's a 50mm. On full frame, I typically default to a 50mm. For several years, from 1968 to the mid 1970s I only owned one lens, a 50mm. That worked fine for me (or I made it work). Sometimes I wonder what the hell I'm thinking now. :lecture:

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Who are you kidding???
Once you start, you can't stop. :ROTFL:
My wife just reminded me that years ago I told her that I only needed an M6 with one lens. The other day she counted my Leica gear, 9 Leica bodies 21 Leica lenses. Yes, it is very slippery road... be careful!

Back to the original question:

For one lens, you may try 35 Summilux/Summicron ASPH or 50 Summilux ASPH depend on your preference of focal length. If you like 24-70 range and you can live with 50 mm, the 50 Summilux ASPH is the absolute best in terms of lens performance. My most used lens is the 35 Summilux ASPH.

Good luck with your choice! Actually, selecting your first lens is the most exciting part - once you have your first lens, you will wonder what to add next...

tom in mpls

My plan: since it would be quite some time before I could even locate an M9, and I've never used a rangefinder, I will look for a used M8 and 35 chron ASPH. If I love it, when I move to the M9 the 35 will still be a keeper. Thanks for the prompt, Cindy.

Paratom

My plan: since it would be quite some time before I could even locate an M9, and I've never used a rangefinder, I will look for a used M8 and 35 chron ASPH. If I love it, when I move to the M9 the 35 will still be a keeper. Thanks for the prompt, Cindy.
Very good plan IMO. I am sure you will love it. Tom

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Good plan and welcome onto the slippery slope!:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Lloyd

And after the M9, a 50 lux, then...no, just shoot me now.
And when you decide that rangefinder photography is not for you, just send me a note and we'll help you recover on your investment... I'd be happy to give you shall we say $.30 on the dollar... :D Just sayin'. ;)

C

Cancelledreality

And after the M9, a 50 lux, then...no, just shoot me now.
I would go for a 35 lux/cron on an M9.
When I had the M8 the 28 cron was most used.

In a year I started with the 28mm elmarit ASPH, then bought a used 90mm cron, then a 50 lux, and replaced the elmarit with a cron. :ROTFL:
Be prepared....:toocool:

Steve Fines

Hey Tom,

I've been shooting with an M9 since early October. The 35mm lens has ended up being the one that stays on the camera most of the time. I'm thinking about trying a 28.

On the M8 the 35 will look more like a 50, but of course you know this.

I've done two landscape focused trips since October and then the wate is the lens that is on the camera most of the time. It is slower, but on a tripod shooting landscapes who cares?

My least used lens so far is a 75 cron. I guess I just naturally gravitate towards the wider end of things.

I might have missed it in the thread, but of course one thing to do is take a FF camera and tape the 24-70 at 35mm and shoot for a day. Then tape it at 50mm (or 28mm, 24mm, etc) and see that way what prime you might choose.

I hadn't shot a rangefinder since the 80's and have to say it has really been enjoyable using the M9. I have a 300s that I use for sports, birds, etc. but if I'm headed out the door I'll always preferentially grab the M9.

tom in mpls

Hey Tom,

I've been shooting with an M9 since early October. The 35mm lens has ended up being the one that stays on the camera most of the time. I'm thinking about trying a 28.

On the M8 the 35 will look more like a 50, but of course you know this.

I've done two landscape focused trips since October and then the wate is the lens that is on the camera most of the time. It is slower, but on a tripod shooting landscapes who cares?

My least used lens so far is a 75 cron. I guess I just naturally gravitate towards the wider end of things.

I might have missed it in the thread, but of course one thing to do is take a FF camera and tape the 24-70 at 35mm and shoot for a day. Then tape it at 50mm (or 28mm, 24mm, etc) and see that way what prime you might choose.

I hadn't shot a rangefinder since the 80's and have to say it has really been enjoyable using the M9. I have a 300s that I use for sports, birds, etc. but if I'm headed out the door I'll always preferentially grab the M9.
Steve! Hi! Our paths cross again in another forum. Thanks for the input; where did you get your M9? National Camera?

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I have had mine for about 4 weeks now and I haven't removed the 35 Lux. (I also have the 24, 28, 50, 90) So the 35 may end up being the lens cap. With a FF the 35 is about perfect.....for me.

jlancasterd

I also vote for a 35mm lens on the M9. Ideally the latest Summicron f2.0, as it is fast enough for most purposes and almost all light conditions, but still small enough not to intrude into the viewfinder to any major extent. A cheaper alternative would be the 35mm f2.5 Summarit which is only marginally slower and optically extremely good (I have one and use it for 95% of my work with an M9) - but it is rather larger.

D

drxcm

I have my M9 on order, so can't really comment yet, but I only have two lenses, the 35 Cron ASPH, and the 50 lux pre-ASPH. If I could only keep one, it'd be the 35 Cron ASPH for sure.

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

I'd just use the Summitar I already have. By the time I can afford an M9, I don't think I'll be able to afford anything else. But there's also a much more positive reason: I just love the Summitar. The signature is just great, particularly for informal portraits like I love to make.

Peter.