The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If you only have one lens for your M9, which would it be?

50 lux asph here as well, but I'll add another reason for a 50 over a 35 for "1 lens", that being the framelines on the 0.68X M9 viewfinder. The 50 frame lines are very easy to see "around" even with glasses, and makes the most out of the distinctive RF experience of seeing in and out of the frame. The 35 lines, especially with glasses, are certainly workable, but I don't get that easy distinction of what's in or out of the frame. best...Peter

JWW

I'll vote 35mm preasph summicron v4 by actual usage percentage. But of course I do appreciate the 50mm lux asph, it's a great lens.

Lloyd

I'll vote 35mm preasph summicron v4 by actual usage percentage. But of course I do appreciate the 50mm lux asph, it's a great lens.
Good call. Can't go wrong with that 35 Cron Version 4 is a great lens, small, light, renders wonderfully... one of my all-time favorites!

(I just happen to have one for sale (6-bit coded by Leica), if anyone's interested.)

gero

Eventhough I have only used the smaller sensor of the m8 for the last 4 years, I think the 28 sumicron but would eventually have to buy a 35 then a 50 and then a 21.

tom in mpls

Story updated!

Ah, it's been a long but fast journey. My M8 has come and gone, and I have my M9. I started with the 35 cron on the M8, and loved it, so when I went to the M9 I knew I would want 50mm. So the 35 has gone, too. It is a lovely , lovely lens. But my one lens is the 50 lux ASPH. My other one lens is the Zeiss 28/2.8. And, my other other one lens is the 90 Elmarit. Lastly, my other other other one lens is the Zeiss 21/2.8. You all may have noted I've bought and sold, ahem, a few times in the last 2 months. So...

My one lens for the M9 is: 21, 28, 50, 90!

I won't say I wasn't warned.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Tom,

That Zeiss 28 will become a 28/2 Summicron, the 21 an Elmarit or a WATE ... just when you think that the Leica madness has finished it'll start up all over again. :ROTFL:

tom in mpls

I understand, but I'm not so sure. The 50 will be my go to lens, and the others used infrequently. In fact, I've already tried the WATE; great lens but for my limited needs at those focal lengths, I can't see the extra $3k. But 28mm...could happen.