The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica X1 Images to download

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Leica brought us out a X1 along with the S2 and we really did not get a chance to really give this little cam a workout since we are still very busy testing the S2 system out. So on our trip to Bisbee our good friend Don Libby and resident landscape shooter wanted to play around a little with the X1. So Don was kind enough to go shoot a little for us. Please only post images here on GetDPI. These are Don's shots and this is one guy you don't want to mess with . 6'9" and still growing. LOL

See what I mean.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Here is a link to some DNG's and jpegs to view. We obviously need to get this back in our hands to give it the proper review it deserves.

Here are the files http://idisk.mac.com/guymancuso-Public?view=web

otumay

Thanks a lot, Guy. I have downloaded some DNG files. Unfortunately my C1 v4.8.3 does not have the profile for X1. Do I go for CS4?
Best,
Osman

Don Libby

I feel I need to say something about the images. We pulled into the parking lot and Guy needed to pack the DF body and his old P30+ for shipping back to Dave. Jack and I started to go into the area where the buildings sit when Guy hands me this funny looking camera and tells me to go forth and have fun. That was my introduction to the Lecia X1. I didn't know it had a built in flash till after I got home and did a fast search on the camera.

I wish I had more time to get better acquainted with this little gem before I started taking the images. If it sounds like I like the X1 then you're correct. Crappy subject matter and no I'm not speaking about Jack or Guy! The overall color, tone and sharpness is very good. The images where Guy is working with the S2 was taken in deep shadow yet they look good.

Could I have done better - yes! Would I like another try? Oh hell yes! This is a hint for Dave :D)

As I said, felt I should add some commentary to the X1 images.

Don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Don . I did find 2 ISO 1600 jpegs on the card . I did WB these a little better than shot. Look pretty good. Christian did upload new firmware that morning. I will ask to get this back and give it some time. The s2 took all our time up that we had to test

Don Libby

In reading several other threads it appears that folks want to see what the X1 can do. I'll stop right here and say the images I took are crap when you compare them to those of Jono's. No excuse other than Guy hands me the camera and tells me go have fun with it. To tell the truth I hadn't even noticed Leica coming out with this little gem till I had it in my hands. I've since done more research and am very pleased with what I've found. The images were all taken during the worse time of the day with an equally crappy sky.

Okay enough excuses here's a couple of the images that were taken. I've opened them in CS4 and have done very little work with them. Open them up and see for yourselves what this camera can do. Oh and coming from a none Leica user - I think I want this camera!

Don, the X1 photos you took do a great job of showing some strengths of the camera. It holds shadow detail very well, has good colors, sharp, and allows some dof control.

I hope to get one of these myself.

Mark

stevem8

Thanks Don . I did find 2 ISO 1600 jpegs on the card . I did WB these a little better than shot. Look pretty good. Christian did upload new firmware that morning. I will ask to get this back and give it some time. The s2 took all our time up that we had to test
Good old Photomark! I miss going there and used to almost every week.

jonoslack

In reading several other threads it appears that folks want to see what the X1 can do. I'll stop right here and say the images I took are crap when you compare them to those of Jono's. No excuse other than Guy hands me the camera and tells me go have fun with it.
Hi Don
Nice of you to say so . . . . especially you being 6'9, and me being only 4'3!

You seem to have done a grand job. The camera is a splendid thing in good light and set on one kind of auto or another. it's also a delicious thing and fun to use.

I'm trying to think of something useful to say about it.

I always used the grip on my M8, but wasn't planning on getting the grip for the X1. I want to keep it as small as possible. I may change my mind about that once I get the camera and use it a bit.

Leica brought us out a X1 along with the S2 and we really did not get a chance to really give this little cam a workout since we are still very busy testing the S2 system out. So on our trip to Bisbee our good friend Don Libby and resident landscape shooter wanted to play around a little with the X1. So Don was kind enough to go shoot a little for us. Please only post images here on GetDPI. These are Don's shots and this is one guy you don't want to mess with . 6'9" and still growing. LOL

See what I mean.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Here is a link to some DNG's and jpegs to view. We obviously need to get this back in our hands to give it the proper review it deserves.

Here are the files http://idisk.mac.com/guymancuso-Public?view=web
Guy,

This was really great of you guys to do for the community. Thank you. For one, I'm excited for this camera. Even though you had tough shooting conditions, the files clearly show the potential for a great image making camera.

Here are a couple jpeg versions of the DNGs. One was processed in B/W with some faux grain and the other is a straight color processing that attempts to bring down the brightness and punch the colors a bit.

Best,
Chad

bradhusick

I always used the grip on my M8, but wasn't planning on getting the grip for the X1. I want to keep it as small as possible. I may change my mind about that once I get the camera and use it a bit.
Mark,
I got to handle the X1 at the LHSA meeting in Seattle and surprisingly, I found the camera a little too short from top to bottom for my hands. Putting on the grip added just enough height to make it more stable. I have fairly large hands (my max span or my outstretched hand from pinky to thumb is 9 inches, the width of my palm at the base of my fingers is 3.75 inches). I will be using the grip.

-Brad