The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A couple M8 questions

soboyle

I've had my M8 for a couple weeks now, and I have a couple questions about user interface.
Is there a way to get the histogram to pop up after taking a photo, without having to push the info button, to quickly review exposure?

Do I have to tell the camera that I have a uv/ir filter on the lens? I see there is a choice under lens detection to include uv/ir. The problem I'm having is that my zeiss 28 2.8 lens is not being detected using self coding. Should I leave lens detection on anyway for ir/uv?

Any suggested tricks for getting self coding to work? I used the code listed on this site. I'm looking at the exif data and no lens listed.
http://whimster-photography.com/leica_m_lens_codes/index.html for the Elmarit 28 f/2.8

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I've had my M8 for a couple weeks now, and I have a couple questions about user interface.
Is there a way to get the histogram to pop up after taking a photo, without having to push the info button, to quickly review exposure?

Do I have to tell the camera that I have a uv/ir filter on the lens? I see there is a choice under lens detection to include uv/ir. The problem I'm having is that my zeiss 28 2.8 lens is not being detected using self coding. Should I leave lens detection on anyway for ir/uv?

Any suggested tricks for getting self coding to work? I used the code listed on this site. I'm looking at the exif data and no lens listed.
http://whimster-photography.com/leica_m_lens_codes/index.html for the Elmarit 28 f/2.8
Always leave lens-coding set to "On/UV-IR" if you have an UV filter on your lens. It is indeed advisable to code the 28 Zeiss. It may be that you have the wrong lens mount that prevents you from coding it correctly. I would send it to John Milich to have the milling done properly if I were you.

You can set the menu to autoreview on and histogram on.

Chris C

......Is there a way to get the histogram to pop up after taking a photo, without having to push the info button......
Shaun - Press MENU ....... scroll down to AUTO REVIEW ....... set the HISTOGRAM to ON, and set the duration to what your preference is [mine is HOLD]. You will have the image and it's histogram appear after each shot, there's no option of histogram only, hope this is clear.

............... Chris

J

jlp

First, you need to determine if you have the current version and correct mounting flange. If your Biogon 28mm brings up 50/75 frame line then you need to get another mount flange. If your Biogon brings up 28/90 frame line then you are good to go and it will be recognized properly. . . read on . . .

That is the correct code -- 011100 -- looking down on the lens mount. Position is critical and I found the easiest method is to remove the lens and using a piece of masking tape, place it outside the mount flange and with the help of a penlight, mark the position of the 6 sensors on the tape. Now mount the lens. Stick a piece of masking tape on the lens side adjacent to the tape on the body. Transfer the sensor position marks to the lens tape, remove the lens, and using a Sharpie, mark the lens flange with the 6-bit code. Attach the lens, snap a pic, look at the review with INFO and if properly coded, 28mm will be indicated in upper right of LCD. If not, you marked incorrectly (position or width) or the sharpie is too reflective. Once coded correctly it's easy to refresh the code as necessary.

Hope that helps.

Jack

Last edited: