The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

image storage and travel

mwalker

Subscriber Member
What are you guys doing for image storage on travel shoots to remote areas?

I'm thinking at least 2000 shots or so (2 1/2 weeks);

Laptop if allowed
2 external hard drives
15 - 2 gb SD chips (Raw only)

Do I need all of the chips?
Have you had problems in security with brick like hard drives in your case?

I'll be taking the M8....Guy please move if in the wrong place..

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Mike,
I use the following system.
1) Bring enough sd cards for the trip. 2000 will fit on 11 or 12 cards, 15 is not too many at the current pricing, it is the cheapest insurance.
2) Next I copy every day from sd card to laptop
3) which is then backed up to an external drive using time machine. (backup to external drive if you are a windoze user)
You will need about 20+gig of free space on your laptop drive, so forget about the air.
I would bring the sd cards and reduce the external drives by one.

rationale is that if the laptop dies then I have the sd cards as a viable storage medium which is compact and very rugged. Unless you double up on the laptop, it is a common single point of failure.
Oh, and I forgot to day, bring two bodies of the same type.
-bob

hdrmd

MW: I think you need a laptop with an external drive like the LaCie Rugged.( 120 or 250G sizes available). Then when you edit each night you burn a disk and copy to the hard drive. I would think you would need enough cards for at least 3 days shooting, in case you couldn't download each day. It becomes an entirely different situation if you can't take the laptop. DR

Terry

Another consideration would be the new Hyperdrive Colorspace 0 as a back-up device. This way it can be stand alone back-up and you don't need a computer to back up. You can look on-line at hyperdrive.com and it looks like B&H just got the new ones in.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Another consideration would be the new Hyperdrive Colorspace 0 as a back-up device. This way it can be stand alone back-up and you don't need a computer to back up. You can look on-line at hyperdrive.com and it looks like B&H just got the new ones in.
That might work, but I would bring the extra sd cards unless you brought two of the Hyperdrives.
-bob

robsteve

Subscriber
Mike:

I use a similar system, taking enough SD for the whole trip, using a laptop and small 2.5" Firelite external drives.

If you use Lightroom or PhotoMechanic, these programs have the option to copy the files to both the laptop and external drive at the same time.

I then make sure the external drives are in my suitcase in case my laptop or camera bag gets lost or stolen. With this method, you have the images in three places, on the laptop, the external drive and the SD cards.

Robert

bcf

I travel with 2 Nexto Ultra (see http://nextodi.co.uk/prod_nex.html), each with a 80 Gb drive.

No screen to view the pics, but small, rugged, and extremely fast copy of the card onto the disc. Every evening, I copy my cards on each of the drives, and I never carry the drives in the same piece of luggage (or my wife carries one).

At home, for the transfer onto the computer, the Nexto has a Firewire port.

Only problem: the Nexto only takes CF cards, so you would need an adapter.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Thanks...I need to buy some more SD chips and I have a LaCie 160GB rugged drive. Good tip about keeping them in different luggage. I don't know yet if I will be able to take a laptop. I don't have a second M8 body, I have several batteries. Its been good to me so far...knock on wood...What about the charger is that a weak link? My back up cameras will have to be my GRDII and my Digilux 2. I'll be traveling to Southern Russia.