The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Luigi half case: which back cover?

tom in mpls

I make no move without the sage advice from my legion of experts at getDPI. I'm ready to get a Luigi half case for M8 and can't decide which style: back cover comes off completely, or back cover attached on the bottom. Both have merits.

photo linked from Leicatime.com

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I've had both types and ended up strongly preferring the drop back version.

I found with the removable version that I ended up carrying the camera full time with the cover removed and then had to worry about where I'd put it. It also meant that the LCD was exposed to the ravages of the world full time.

The flap version works much better for me as it is available all the time to cover the LCD, discourages constant chimping, and it's very easy to pop on & off (I use the backs of my thumbnails to quickly release the clips while holding the case in my hands - very intuitive).

Hope that helps.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Like Brad s model above:

1. No Back /no snaps
2. Stiching around the window opening(unnecessary just looks nice)
3. Open for the ThumbsUp ...I think its the CESP-1 the newest one for larger hands.
4. Stainless Steel screw (for mounting on a tripod but also secures the case to the body)...Unnecessay I just like it this way.

I like the Rally color the best but I use two black cases for my M9s ...one is all black and the other is black with RED stitching . I specify black suede for the lining of the black cases. My M9s are black and I have a chrome silver M8u.

This is like ordering a custom made car..you need to specify everything .

The only issue I have had is some rubbing from the stitching where my thumb presses against the body. I glued a small piece of foam rubber under the thumb position....but the right answer is to get the Thumbs Up.

Don t forget to specify all custom changes in CAPITAL LETTERS or something may be left out.

Great cases...highly recommended.

Terry

I had the one like the black one on the right with the back flap. I really liked it that way. For me, it did not get in the way when down and kept the LCD and everything else protected when up. The snap off one "will" get lost (if I owned it).

tom in mpls

1. No Back /no snaps
2. Stiching around the window opening(unnecessary just looks nice)
3. Open for the ThumbsUp ...I think its the CESP-1 the newest one for larger hands.
4. Stainless Steel screw (for mounting on a tripod but also secures the case to the body)...Unnecessay I just like it this way.
Do you guys use the Luigi handgrip?

GrahamWelland

I have the Luigi hand grip version. I find that it provides excellent grip and extra stability when shooting handheld. If I used the Thumbs Up then I probably wouldn't bother as the grip & TU is a bit of an overkill.

akiralx

I have the one with the grip and clip off back - but have lost the back somewhere. I find no back at all is fine in fact, so would agree get one without it.

Stuart Richardson

Totally agree. I bought a built-in grip model with the snap off back when it came out, and I have only used the rear cover on it for about 2 minutes in the last 2 years I have had it. At the time, I had wanted it without a cover at all, and Luigi tried to convince me to get the snaps. I went along with it, but if I did it again, I would go with no rear cover at all. Not that the snaps are bad, just totally unnecessary for me.

tom in mpls

OK, I've listened to all. I already have the Thumbs Up, so I will get the Luigi with grip, cutout for Thumbs Up, no back cover, and neck strap. Giottos glass to cover the LCD. I also plan to get a small bag to carry it in when not around my neck. I'll look like "a real photographer"! I'll tell you later how many people I fool. You mean that empty slot in the bottom is for an SD card? What's an SD card? Really, though, thanks for helping me get it right the first time.

tom in mpls

A couple more questions.

If I have a strap attached, is it still easy to remove the case in order to change battery or SD card?

If one gets the case with the screw, does the screw interfere with changing the battery or SD card? Is it more inconvenient than no screw? And does the screw really work for attaching to a tripod?

GrahamWelland

No problem with the strap - the clips undo whether you have a strap connected or not and then you slide the case off to get to the base plate.

With respect to the screw version, I believe you need to unscrew this from the baseplate to get the case off so you'll need to have a coin with you.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I order them from Luigi with no cover at all, and no snaps, but with a cutout for the ThumbsUp.
Based on Brad's advise, I did the same thing. I'm very happy with this configuration on my M9. It feels secure/protected, while also being very quick to use (no snaps to mess with).

Mike

woodyspedden

OK, I've listened to all. I already have the Thumbs Up, so I will get the Luigi with grip, cutout for Thumbs Up, no back cover, and neck strap. Giottos glass to cover the LCD. I also plan to get a small bag to carry it in when not around my neck. I'll look like "a real photographer"! I'll tell you later how many people I fool. You mean that empty slot in the bottom is for an SD card? What's an SD card? Really, though, thanks for helping me get it right the first time.
Tom

One thing you may want to consider is the sapphire LCD glass upgrade from Leica. For sure there will be no damage to the LCD using this upgrade. So it won't matter that you may not have a flap at all.

Woody

S

simonpg

I'm considering a Luigi half case for my M8, obviously for comfort reasons many suggest as well as some body protection. But I wonder how precisely fit etc..

I wondered why my right hand tires so much when street shooting the M8 compared to my M7 (despite size and weight differences).

After playing with my M& I realised that the genuine Leica half case fitted has 2 MAJOR comfort benefits:
1. hanging on to and grasping a full leather 1/2 case is far more comfortable than the camera body;
2. having the brilliantly (subtle) located front and back "bumps" in the case for my fingers at the front and thumb at the rear, gives me much more comfortable grip of the canmera than if the case was flat.

SO MY QUESTIONS ARE, are Luigi 1/2 cases as precisely fitted to the camera as the genuine German made Leica cases for the M7, M6 and MP - tight and exact? Is the standard Luigi 1/2 case's "bump" on the front (I am NOT referring to the "grip" style 1/2 case) of the case/camera as ergonomically comfortable as the ever-ready case by Leica for M7, MP and M6?

I really do not want to add a 1/2 case thst id not preciely fitted and I don't like 1/2 cases that have much "free-play - I prefer a precision fit?

Thanks for your help.