The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Luigi half case: which back cover?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I'm considering a Luigi half case for my M8, obviously for comfort reasons many suggest as well as some body protection. But I wonder how precisely fit etc..

I wondered why my right hand tires so much when street shooting the M8 compared to my M7 (despite size and weight differences).

After playing with my M& I realised that the genuine Leica half case fitted has 2 MAJOR comfort benefits:
1. hanging on to and grasping a full leather 1/2 case is far more comfortable than the camera body;
2. having the brilliantly (subtle) located front and back "bumps" in the case for my fingers at the front and thumb at the rear, gives me much more comfortable grip of the canmera than if the case was flat.

SO MY QUESTIONS ARE, are Luigi 1/2 cases as precisely fitted to the camera as the genuine German made Leica cases for the M7, M6 and MP - tight and exact? Is the standard Luigi 1/2 case's "bump" on the front (I am NOT referring to the "grip" style 1/2 case) of the case/camera as ergonomically comfortable as the ever-ready case by Leica for M7, MP and M6?

I really do not want to add a 1/2 case thst id not preciely fitted and I don't like 1/2 cases that have much "free-play - I prefer a precision fit?

Thanks for your help.
Simon

The Luigi case has an excellent fit .."like a glove" . The snaps on the edges go over the strap lugs and pull the case up against the body. The built in grip (highly recommended unless you have small hands ) positions your right hand perfectly on the body and balances well. The Thumbs Up improves this and for me keeps me from squeezing the case against the body. Their are several models of the Thumbs Up ..average hands need the shorter CSEP 1 and they have versions without the hot shoe or with two hot shoes depending on your use of finders etc.

The SS screw is without a doubt a real pain to change batteries or SD cards. You have to take off the case and the metal bottom. I think it adds structure by tightening the case against the bottom ...but you can get frustrated when you need a quick battery change. The SS screw also allows for attaching a tripod directly without removing the case. I use this with a table tripod (infrequently).

You can get an optional baseplate (from Luigi) that allows for both battery and card change without taking off the baseplate . Then you need a cutout in the case bottom for access. This isn t weather sealed and for my use just too easy to pick up moisture . Both the screw and the custom base plate have pro s and con s just like the rear cover discussion.

Stuart Richardson

Roger is right -- they fit very snugly. I have had 6 of them for different cameras and at different times, and they have all fit securely. I would also add that if your case does not fit correctly, Luigi would likely be horrified and do everything he could to fix things for you. He really goes the extra mile in customer service. I would recommend against the stainless steel screw though -- as Roger said, it just adds time for you to change the battery or card. The case alone adds enough time to be occasionally annoying, so making it even harder to get off would not be what I would recommend.

In general, the build quality and fitting is better than the genuine Leica cases. If you want a top of the line 1/2 case, they are the way to go.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Has anyone had experience in getting one of the Rally cases wet? I have two black Luigi cases that have been everywhere rain or shine . If they get wet I just wipe down the camera and take off the case. It dries overnight with no ill affects. I have a Rally case which I use on a Silver M8U..this is a beautiful combination (same as the Cindy Flood version on Luigi s website). If I use this case on my M9 it has to be ready for anything and I am wondering if the Rally would discolor badly if it got wet.

charlesphoto

Just got a black Zhou case for my M9 and have to say I'm really impressed. For $68 it's about the cheapest accessory ever made for an M. :)

D&A

Roger,

I have Luigi's rally color cases but haven't gotten it wet per se, so I'm not sure of answer. Generally though lighter color leathers like "rally" can darken considerably when wet, although it usually bounces back to orignal color once throughly dried. I used to have a leather jacket almost that same color (years ago)..and thats what would happen. There are many water repellant waxes and liquids on the market for leather, and I've often wondered if this might be a good idea.

Although I'm certain you know, I though though I'd mention a small correction to your post above regarding Thumps up. You mentioned the shoes sitting on top of the thumps up were "hot shoes", but unfortunately they are not...(simply cold shoes). I've often wondered with the hex screw tightening the thumbs up, why it couldn't be desiged where the bottom of the screw touches the hot shot contact on the cameras's hot shoe, thereby enabling a flash to be used simultaniously with the thums up (in AA or manual mode of course). If the M8/M9 had a PC contact, then a cold shoe on the thumbs up would be fine.

Dave (D&A)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger,

I have Luigi's rally color cases but haven't gotten it wet per se, so I'm not sure of answer. Generally though lighter color leathers like "rally" can darken considerably when wet, although it usually bounces back to orignal color once throughly dried. I used to have a leather jacket almost that same color (years ago)..and thats what would happen. There are many water repellant waxes and liquids on the market for leather, and I've often wondered if this might be a good idea.

Although I'm certain you know, I though though I'd mention a small correction to your post above regarding Thumps up. You mentioned the shoes sitting on top of the thumps up were "hot shoes", but unfortunately they are not...(simply cold shoes). I've often wondered with the hex screw tightening the thumbs up, why it couldn't be desiged where the bottom of the screw touches the hot shot contact on the cameras's hot shoe, thereby enabling a flash to be used simultaniously with the thums up (in AA or manual mode of course). If the M8/M9 had a PC contact, then a cold shoe on the thumbs up would be fine.

Dave (D&A)
Dave You are right about them being cold shoes. I almost never use flash with the M s even though someday I will find a small fill flash set up. The newest Thumbs Up option is "no shoe" and it has a cleaner look and less to catch on things ..but of course no accessory finder . No question the luigi cases are best and can be customized exactly the way you want them ..but they are darn expensive especially when "pretty" doesn t help .

S

simonpg

Many thanks everyone for your detailed responses and time.

I did notice Charles' post about receiving his Zhou case for his M9. I'd never heard of them before. I looked at his store on eBay and as best we can tell from a photo they look very good.

I've had much experience in buying Chinese goods that were designed and specified to be high quality to fine tolerances and they are typically excellent. If yiou want "cheap and cheerful" they can do that too.

So, Charles, while you say the case is good value for money; how good is it overall putting money aside? What are the good points and bad points?

I also wonder how good the calf-leather really is as well as the interior lining?

Before I shoot off and order a Luigi, it's handy to know how well the Zhou case ranks.
Cheers.

Jerry_R

As I saw, Zhou has only copy of one basic case, hasn't he? It means, you can't use it with Thumbs Up, Leica grip, tripod screw, etc.

Really no-one thought of full case? I see its benefit, against carrying camera in a photo bag. Don't you?

Best Regards,
Jerry_R

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
As I saw, Zhou has only copy of one basic case, hasn't he? It means, you can't use it with Thumbs Up, Leica grip, tripod screw, etc.

Really no-one thought of full case? I see its benefit, against carrying camera in a photo bag. Don't you?

Best Regards,
Jerry_R
The Zhou cases are not at the standard of Luigi s hand made cases. Luigi s leather is some of the best available and he offers an amazing level of customization. The Rally cases are particularly attractive as you can better see the leather quality.

With that said ..if you want a lower profile standard black case ...it becomes harder to justify the luigi case . Once I tried the Thumbs Up ..its a must for me ...so i need the cutout or a case that open in the back.

I send Zhou a question about the Thumbs Up and it seems he just received his own Thumbs Up . He now understands the need for the cutout and plans to make cases available with the cutout starting in early March. He will not match the Luigi but I am not sure I want to advertise my M9 s ..so a plain black or maybe red thread with black . And for $68 its not much of a gamble.

S

simonpg

Thanks again.

Yes I see how Luigi offers a wide range of cases that are clearly high quality.

I suppose as "glenerrolrd" put it, I am looking for a "lower profile" case along the lines of the genuine Leica M7/M6 1/2 case - just to add some comfort and grip like mine does on my M7. This is what seems to appeal to me about the Thou case.

Charles seems very impressed by his Zhou case so the finish and fit must be to a good standard. So, I'll probably give that a go.

tom in mpls

Now what to do??

My half case arrived today! I ordered over a month ago. Leather is beautiful (Rally), snug fit, workmanship is terrific. It even smells great.

But I have a problem. I made a special order for no back flap. I have the email from Luigi where he confirmed all details, including no back flap. Unfortunately, he made it with the back flap attached to the bottom like the black case below:
So now, do I live with it? It doesn't seem bad, really. I may learn to love it. Or do I contact Luigi?

Ricnak

Same here...

Tom.

My case arrived about 2 weeks ago. I asked for a built in grip with a rear hanging door. I got the standard case - a bump, rather than the built in grip and a detachable rear door.

I understand that things are quite hectic for the poor chap. I gave him email and he is happy to send another case as per my order. He only asked that I send the case that I received on to another customer rather than back to Italy. No drama really.

I am not in a hurry. I am still waiting for my M9 to arrive........

tom in mpls

No grip and a loose back. I definitely would have insisted on getting that replaced. Mine has all the other right things: thumbs up cutout, built in grip, right stitching and right leather. Hmmm.

tom in mpls

I picked up my new case from Luigi today, and saw that US customs had opened the package. In their infinite wisdom and care, it appears that they used a box cutter to open the inner bubble wrap. Judge the results for yourself:

S

simonpg

Just got a black Zhou case for my M9 and have to say I'm really impressed. For $68 it's about the cheapest accessory ever made for an M. :)
Well I decided to try the Zhou 1/2 case because its form etc seemed most like my Leica 1/2 case on my M7.

It is EXCELLENT!

Zhou is a DELIGHT to deal with and was never bothered by constant questions from me. He promised top grade calf leather and delivered. It's beautifully soft (but strong) calf that is like Nappa.

Excellent fit - nice and snug with no movement but not too hard to remove when I need to get to the base plate. The hand stitching is masterful.

The design of the back cut out area is about 95% accurate but does not cause any problem with using the buttons, screen, wheel etc..

It does prevent the fitting of a ThumbsUp (like some Luigi cases do). BUT, for me this case makes a ThumbsUp totally unnecessarily. The "bump" at the front is perfectly located adding ideal purchase as on the Leica M7 case.

It uses the usual stud clasp for the sides around the strap connections. The right side/back clasp has a bouble clasp, which allows my right thumb to grip the case perfectly.

For US$68.00 it is a no brainer IMHO. Shipping cost of $18 to Melbourne down under is so reasonable. China post is amazingly efficient They got it from Shenzhen to Melbourne in 2 days!! It arrived 2 days after I paid!

It should not be considered "the best of a mediocre lot". It really is an excellent quality product made with precision at very reasonable price.

Having spent lot of time in The Poeple's Republic of China over the past 15 years or so, I never feared a cheepie - if you ask for quality they deliver it very well at a low cost; if you ask for "cheap and cheerful", they will make it for next to nothing!.

Zhou offers a great alternative - and no, I have no relationship with him, except that now I am a happy customer.

Stuart Richardson

Tom -- that is awful! Have you contacted the post office about it? Is there any chance they would reimburse you? Knowing the post, I would be surprised if they did, but I hope they will for your sake.

tom in mpls

Tom -- that is awful! Have you contacted the post office about it? Is there any chance they would reimburse you? Knowing the post, I would be surprised if they did, but I hope they will for your sake.
I probably lost any chance with them as I threw the shipping bag out before I noticed the damage.

D&A

Hi Tom,

First sorry to see and hear of the damage...I know that's a big disappointment. As you probably know, when something is shipped, assuming insurance is put on the parcel.....and if it's lost/damaged in transit (regarless if lost/damaged here in the States or while in transit through any number of countries)...the individual who shipped the item is the one who files an insurance claim on behalf of the receipient. I know your case may be a bit weaker in not having the outer shipping bag...but if the outer bag didn't show a cut and the damaged simply occured when a cutter was taken to the inner contents when opened and inspected, I'm not sure it matters (having outer packaging). Point being it was damaged while in transit. If Luigi put insurance on the parcel, then as the shipper, he could file a claim with the Italian postal system, even though the damage occured on these shores...at least I beleive that is how it works. If the claim is successful, Luigi gets reimbured (may take a few months)...and if so, a new case can be ordered as a replacement with the insurance claim being paid. Again that is how it generally works from what I understand.

Conversely, if I mail a parcel say to Italy and it gets lost or even damaged while in Italian customs, I believe I am the one who files and insurance claim of loss/damage and once I get reimbursed, I pass along the money to the buyer. Maybe inquire with Luigi if he put insurance on the parcel, and take it from there. Of course the damaged case would have to be sent back to Luigi for his postal system to see and determine damage. Lastly if by some change it is the responsibilty of the US Postal syetem to assume responsibilty for damage....then all you would need is the shipping info that was thrown out with the parcel (custom# and if it had insurance etc.)...and I'm sure a claim could be filed. I would first still go with whomever filed insurance on the parcel.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: