The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where in NYC for lenses?

I

ian_k

Hi, I'm visiting New York city early January and am thinking of getting a lens around 90mm for my M8 while I'm there. New or used, I don't mind. Any recommendations where to buy?

Many thanks.

T

tonyroth

cameraland for new only. 48th & lex, ask for Joel. though if you want to buy new i would do it before jan 1.

M

Mango

You can do your research before getting to New York:

Kurland Photo is at 670 Broadway, Suite 501 (two blocks south of 4th street), on the same floor as the Leica gallery. Craig is a gentleman and very knowledgeable. He used to work at Tamarkin. (Kurland is in Tamarkin's old location.)

Photovillage is on 1133 Broadway, Suite 824, a bit further up, at 26th street. Rich Pinto is a Leica legend.

B&H is on 9th Avenue, between 33rd and 34th street. They occupy the whole block, and their second floor is probably the biggest camera toy store I've ever seen.

Adorama is on 42 West 18th Street, between 5th and 6th avenue. (Note that addresses East of 5th avenue are labeled East, and West of 5th Avenue are West. Makes no sense, but good to know.)

Ken Hansen used to have a store, but now it's by appointment only.

You can do your research before getting to New York:

www.kurlandphoto.com

www.photovillage.com

www.bhphoto.com (click on Used Store)

www.adorama.com

Some of them also have eBay stores, so you can find things over there too:

http://myworld.ebay.com/kenhansenphoto

http://myworld.ebay.com/kurlandphoto

Note that B&H and Adorama are closed on Saturdays. B&H is usually packed with Europeans, it's a tourist destination for camera junkies.

There are some very sleazy stores (not the ones mentioned above), so if you stick to the above, you're in good hands.

If you find something online that you really want, you can call them and they will hold it for you until you get there.

I hope this is enough to get you going.

Best of luck!

I

ian_k

Many thanks to all - especially to Mango, that's just perfect and much appreciated!

Having checked prices new against here in UK there's practically no difference; but I'm hoping there'll at least be more choice on the second hand market. Thanks again.

A

Adam B

i've bought a number of used and new lenses at Photo Village... and will happily continue to shop there.

Stuart Richardson

The Photo Village is great and would be my first stop within NYC. If you are looking for used and more specialized shops (as opposed to Adorama and B&H), you might also look at FotoCare (geared towards pros, medium format digital, lighting etc), Lens and Repro (somehow off the beaten path of camera stores, but has a lot of good stuff at times), and Calumet (a big pro store with nice service -- open on Saturdays and easily located).