The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9: Black vs. Grey finish

aboudd

As I spend this holiday season waiting for the dealer to call me about arrival of the M9, sitting here with 4 lenses and no camera, I have read some disparaging things about the M9 Grey finish. Some have intimated that the finish is not as durable as the black, and that is is dull looking (I always liked silver chrome better). As I cannot find any of either in stock anywhere at the moment, I would like a definitive answer from actual owners before I make my choice - which I am assured will be in January.

Thanks in advance for the help!

N

nightfire

Whether one finish is more durable than the other, only time will tell. I think the camera has not been out long enough for a definite judgment on aging effects.

I have the Grey M9 (and had a chrome M6 before that). The grey finish is not as shiny and certainly lacks a bit of the "chrome sex appeal" of my former M6, but that's not to say that grey is ugly. It looks good in its own way, and goes well with my chrome lenses.

I never cared about any of the black M's, because they look like run of the mill Japanese cameras to me.

So my vote clearly goes to the grey finish. As for the M9 backlog, just have patience - the wait is worth it!

aboudd

Thanks for the info. All of my lenses are black, not that it is a big deal. I may decide to go for the bi-color after all. It is distinctive, although I hardly think the M9 looks like a typical Japanese camera.

D

drxcm

I had the same choice yesterday and went for black. The grey does look VERY nice, but I think the black will wear better with time.

Steve Fines

I have the grey and find it to be a veritable chick magnet. Maybe a tad less shine than the M6, but far from 'dull'. :)

Finish looks perfect after a few months in my backpack and fanny pack. Maybe too early to tell but I cannot say looking at the camera now that I could imagine the finish being an issue.

aboudd

Thanks guys, I am convinced. The only issue is that I passed on two grey M9s while I researched this. Coal in MY stocking this week.

I want to wish all of you a Merry Christmas, a belated Happy Hanukkah and a Happy New Year!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Finding the best Luigi strap/case color for any given M9/lens combo will likely take even more months of intense deliberation and missed deals :rolleyes:
Oh yes!! I wouldn't actually choose my particular case/camera combo but it's grown on me. I already had this one so I kept it. I might consider the black/dark red thread but it starts becoming bling pretty quickly.

Good luck picking case colours with Luigi. The choice is almost overwhelming although there is a solution (if only there was an M8/9 version): :p

jklotz

please tell me nobody has actually bought that "rainbow" one. If I see them out, they may loose their camera privileges...

I have a steel grey because that was came available. I have several black and chrome bodies, I must say I really like the look of the steel grey very much, it's perhaps my favorite, which surprised me. Here's to pleasant surprises! best...Peter

aboudd

Now that I missed out on two bodies I have decided to be color blind. Whatever the dealer gets, I'm taking.