The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Good deal.. I think?

I recently came across a good deal on an M8.2 and a 35 Cron. I believe the lens is new and the body is a demo. I'm waiting to find out as the Leica person was off today. It was $5500.

What are the things to look for and questions to ask here? What all should be included? Battery, charger and filters?

Also, I really had my heart set on getting a 28 cron, but would a 35 work for street and some landscapes as well?

Took me all of about 15 minutes to really get rolling on the thing in the store.

Can I say I hate you guys for introducing me to this? :D

jaapv

Subscriber Member
The 35 Summicron is a very versatile lens on the M8 - and will stand you in good stead when you follow the siren song of the M9 :D

S

steve728

New to the forums here. I have this same question actually. With a 35 cron and M8, which would be a better companion: 24mm or a 50mm? BTW, it seems like both would also be great with a M9 as well. Thanks for any advice!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Tough to recommend the 24 or 50 for you without knowing what you typically shoot and what you are looking for..

I know that for me 50mm was an uncomfortable focal length on the M8 as it was neither ideal for portraits or long enough as a short telephoto for travel - however, other people find it works for them. Personally I needed something longer like the 75 'cron.

The 24 is a better compliment if you shoot wide than the typically recommended 28 'cron which I found was too close to the 35 'cron in that combo. You might even want to consider the 21 Elmarit instead if you want the wide/normal combo.