The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DR Summicron close focus problem

A

alanwf

I just tried on the goggles for the first time in quite a while, and the little stopper block (that you use to move into the close focus range when you pull the focus ring forward) stays right at the longest distance (of the close focus range) when it is released, rather than focussing to its 20 inches. The cam in the back also does not pull forward, which I seem to remember it doing—basically, the focussing just locks in the one position.

Is this common as a problem, is there an easy fix, and a common cause?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Shac

Alan - Do you have the problem when the goggles (eyes) are attached? If so take them off, then pull out the focus ring and put it onto the other side - next, try depressing the ball bearing on the flat with your finger and also try turning the focus ring. If you can turn the focus ring in its close-focus range, then in all probability the goggles (eyes) are not the correct ones for this lens (i.e. they are not depressing the ball-bearing as they should). See Stephen Gandy's description http://www.cameraquest.com/m50dr.htm
Hope this helps
David

A

alanwf

Shac—you were absolutely correct; which leaves me wondering how it ever worked! (I think it must be a good 10 years since I bought it, and can't imagine that when I was more actively shooting film I didn't try the goggles on—just boggles my mind.)

And your body assumption was correct; it's on a DS M3.

Thanks again for the speedy assistance.