The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 and the Zeiss 85/2 Sonnar

C

canon5dshooter

Has anyone paired these two gems up? If so could you share some snaps?

horosu

There is also a comparison with the current Leica offerings at ReidReviews. Absolutely stunning lens!

C

canon5dshooter

Wow, thanks everyone! I have a few things to check out!

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Sorry to hijack the thread, but that photo above caught my attention...

Hacker - what is that camera strap? How does it compare to other straps, and do you recommend it? I'm looking for a better strap on my M9, and that one looks interesting.

monza

Mike, that is the Artisan & Artist silk strap. Pricey but very nice. I use one on my G1...very light, works as a neck strap or wrist strap as it's easily coiled.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
As long as the thread is hijacked, I'll also add that I use the same strap. It's my favorite of the straps I've used. It's a great combination of functionality and comfort.

Kurt

back alley

is the a&a strap on the short side? i have often thought of one but i have a large gut and like to hang a camera over my head and cross the chest/belly.

Hacker

Sorry to hijack the thread, but that photo above caught my attention...

Hacker - what is that camera strap? How does it compare to other straps, and do you recommend it? I'm looking for a better strap on my M9, and that one looks interesting.
Mike, I have experimented with all the premium leather straps and this is the most comfortable of all. Like what the rest said, this is a match made in heaven. For the length, I believe you can customize the length (I've seen customized versions for Hasselblad cameras and one-off wrist straps.). You have to talk to you dealer though.

And since this thread is hijacked, I highly recommend the leather case from Luxecase.com, having tried all the Japanese, Italian, China and US made ones. :ROTFL:

Eoin

Picture of the match:

That's looking very nice Hacker. I see your were recently put an for sale advert up for this lens. Care to share why you chose to let this beauty pass through your hands?. What took it's place?, and do you have any images you'd care to share that were taken with this lens?.

I've never used Zeiss glass until recently with the Sony ZA. The ZM 85 sonnar was always a curiosity I never explored with my M8 but, If I were to ever pick up an M9 it would be top of my must try list.

Looking forward to reading your comments on this lens. ;)

Hacker

Hi Eoin,

I do have a number of lenses in this focal length, 75 Lux, 75 Cron, Nikkor 8.5cm, 90 AA, Fujinon 10cm, Contax 90mm G mount modified for M-mount, etc. The Sonnar is a very very sharp and a high contrast lens, and like the Rollei 80mm, I have enough sharp lenses and am willing to let this lens go because it is huge with the hood.

Stephen

That's looking very nice Hacker. I see your were recently put an for sale advert up for this lens. Care to share why you chose to let this beauty pass through your hands?. What took it's place?, and do you have any images you'd care to share that were taken with this lens?.

I've never used Zeiss glass until recently with the Sony ZA. The ZM 85 sonnar was always a curiosity I never explored with my M8 but, If I were to ever pick up an M9 it would be top of my must try list.

Looking forward to reading your comments on this lens. ;)

G

Geortech

Hi everyone.
Just two pictures for someone interested in the similarity between
Sonnar 85/2 and Summicron 90/2 Apo, 100% crop,wide open, on my old M8.
One on the left is with Summicron. Regards George