The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ok, just bought a *new* M8, but...

F

Fov

The salesman said it has the leica "Passport" warranty, where you can basically drop it, etc, and they'll send you a new one. Now, after getting home, it appears they no longer have that warranty???

The camera is a Demo, with "probablye under 100 actuations." It was $3500, but now that it doesn't look like I have a "Passport" warranty, I'm not terribly excited. It does have the box, everything, plus what looks like a standard warranty. Also, it turns out the camera has just under 2,000 actuations.

Should I bring it back and shop elsewhere?? What would you do?

Last edited:
F

Fov

It does appear to have 2 year leica warrant/registration papers. This was from an authorized retailer, their last "demo" model.

I'm assuming I'd get the 2 free UV filters by sending in the warranty.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
If you are in the USA , there was no passport warranties on the M8 . The paperwork in the box is meaningless except to explain the standard warranty. Its your dealer invoice and the Leica USA policy that will dictate your coverage. If he box or cards are stamped demo other warranty terms maybe in place. Demo models are frequently cameras repaired by Leica and resold to dealers at a discount. I bought one when M8 s were scarce and its been an excellent camera . It came with a one year warranty.

You should call Leica NJ for clarification on your coverage. If you are not happy ..don t wait take it back asap. Make your decision on what they tell you.

F

Fov

Thanks Roger,

That is scary that they are authorized dealers and they don't know their own warranty's! (Either that, or they're trying to pull one over on their customers, sigh)

I just looked, I don't see "Demo" stamped anywhere. There is a 2 year "warranty application" card in there. It looks like it must have been their display model.

Still, I'm sort of swallowing hard at the $3500 "without" the neat warranty. That was sort of the deal-maker for me.

I see other used M8's for sale (tamarkin?) with 1 year warranty for $2500, and a "new" M8 for I think $3300.

Terry

If it was their "latest" demo are you sure it isn't an M8.2 ? These would command a higher price as they have upgraded options over an original M8. What color Leica symbol (dot) does it have. Can you show a picture of it?

F

Fov

If it was their "latest" demo are you sure it isn't an M8.2 ? These would command a higher price as they have upgraded options over an original M8. What color Leica symbol (dot) does it have. Can you show a picture of it?
Hi Terry,

It is the black model, with the red dot, it is an M8, definitely not an 8.2.
(box states M8) It does have box/CD, warranty card, etc. BTW, this was
from the leica dealer in SF.

Terry

I would probably return it and buy a used one cheaper...if the used one develops a problem and you have to pay to fix it you may still be ahead of the game.

tom in mpls

Used ones are going for $2500 or less. I could see paying a bit more for a demo with limited clicks on it. You can get a used 8.2 for under $3500.

D

drxcm

I would definitely return it, too expensive for an M8... I would get an 8.2 if you can for that price

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Just a bit of clarification on Leica warranties:

If the camera that you got includes the 2-year warranty (white card), then you got a camera with a new warranty. If the dealer was using it as a demo and it was never sold to an end user, then you are the original purchaser and do qualify for the new warranty.

Leica warranties are not transferable (except on the S system). So, even if a camera was only owned by someone for a month and they registered it, that camera would no longer have a warranty for a second owner. It doesn't sound like this is the case here.

Besides the 2-year warranty, Leica does offer a 1-year used warranty (blue card) on Certified Pre-Owned M8s. This means that the dealer purchased a demo/refurb/open box from Leica directly. This is the only way to get a warranty on a used product (except for M8 upgrades, which convey a 1-year warranty extension to the present owner).

M8, M8.2 and M9 bodies never carried a Passport warranty. Only a new Leica USA lens has a 3-year Passport. This warranty covers any and all defects and/or accidental damage, including water damage (but excludes fire, loss, or theft). Grey market lenses do not have this warranty as it is only offered by Leica USA, not Leica Camera AG. The M8 warranty, by comparison does not cover accidental damage.

I hope this clarifies any warranty confusion. If you are in doubt as to the status of the camera, you can call Leica USA directly at 201-995-0051 with the S/N. Or, if you prefer, I'd be happy to check for you - just PM me the S/N.

David

F

Fov

Thank you David for the warranty info. So it looks like "standard 2 year warranty", which is good, but this appears to be at approximately $1000 premium over maybe a demo/refurb with 1-year warranty, or used.
(probably not worth it)

I'm about 95% sure it's going back tomorrow. Hopefully they won't try to get me with a restocking fee. I still think it's very lame that they played up the "Passport" warranty & low # of clicks.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, what is the duty cycle on the M8 shutter? I've heard some numbers like 100,000 but does anyone know for certain?

I personally probably wouldn't be concerned by the click count per se - it might be beneficial in a perverse way because it proves that it HASN'T failed ...

For that extra $1000 you could buy an ex-demo with 12mths warranty and still upgrade it in 12mths and get an additional 12mths warranty then too.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The logic behind a restocking fee covers when you change your mind..not when the dealer misquotes the warranty . If your discussion stays focused on the lack of a passport warranty ....you are on solid ground to return it with no penalty.

F

Fov

The logic behind a restocking fee covers when you change your mind..not when the dealer misquotes the warranty . If your discussion stays focused on the lack of a passport warranty ....you are on solid ground to return it with no penalty.
That will definitely be what I bring up.

I think $3k (or less) would have been a more appropriate price considering the # of actuations and the standard 2 year warranty (and considering what people seem to be getting used ones for with 1-year warranty).

Now, to pick a lens!

F

Fov

Whew, was able to return it w/o problem this morning. Great store, no attitude!

Now to find the right M8/M8.2!!