The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

From all you RF vets...

jonoslack

Yep, I'd love an M9 and a Noct, but I'm being realistic and don't want to add a divorce bill to the purchase list :thumbup:

I've read a mess of posts, done a ton of searching, but why not :deadhorse: ?
Well, having started my RF journey just before the M8 appeared, I know what I'd do in your position:

1. get an M8u if you can - the quiter shutter/glass/vulcanite are worth something, and of course, it's likely to be a newer camera.

2. use the leica summarit lenses - if you need a 28 then get the 28 asph elmarit. (but I'd start with the delightful and tiny 35 f2.5 summarit)

3. get the IR filters for whichever lenses you decide on and make sure that they're coded

these lenses were designed with all the knowledge of modern lens design to produce small, excellent lenses, and that's what they are. If you buy another manufacturer you'll have to deal with coding issues etc.

If you think you want a rangefinder, then you'd better do it - it may be that it doesn't suit what you want, but that's okay . . on the other hand it can be a complete revelation (it was for me).

all the best

P.S Woody - my feeling is that using IR filters with the M9 is very nearly as bad as using the M8 without them (FWIW) :)