The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another good job by DAG

beamon

It's always nice to have competent work done at the right price and on time!

Had one of my three M lenses 6-bit coded by Leica in N.J. months ago when I bought my M8.2. Their work was fine but it took considerably longer than they indicated it would.

My other two M lenses were just coded by DAG at nearly half the price & appear to me to be equally well done and right on the 3 week time that Don quoted. (shipping added a 4th week for both directions)

Only the 3rd time, over many years, that I've had Don do work for me, but he continues to turn out excellent work at good prices and on time!

Now, c'mon, Leica...announce the M9.2 with a few easily done upgrades including the sapphire LCD glass and I'll ink someone's waiting list. :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
For perspective of the Leica NJ coding timeframes, I sent in two lenses Dec 7th and was recently informed that they'll be done the end of Feb! :thumbdown:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger

I would be interested in seeing the machining of the 6 bit you had DAG perform. I remember when we first got into the 6 bit coding I had a few zeiss zm lenses done through DAG. The finishing was t as clean as the work done thru NJ. (It worked perfectly). Since you have current versions from both sources...can you tell them apart?

Also could you share the current charges as its been a while . NJ used to be I believe $150 ? I have few lenses that should go in .

I should note I am a big fan of DAG s and he has solved several really tough problems I could not get fixed in Solms.

dannh

I'd be curious to see a picture of the machining as well. Does NJ actually machine the existing part, or replace the part with a coded version?

beamon

Roger

I would be interested in seeing the machining of the 6 bit you had DAG perform. I remember when we first got into the 6 bit coding I had a few zeiss zm lenses done through DAG. The finishing was t as clean as the work done thru NJ. (It worked perfectly). Since you have current versions from both sources...can you tell them apart?

Also could you share the current charges as its been a while . NJ used to be I believe $150 ? I have few lenses that should go in .

I should note I am a big fan of DAG s and he has solved several really tough problems I could not get fixed in Solms.
I compared the one done by Leica N.J. with what Don just did and couldn't see any difference that jumped out at me. Both jobs were without machining marks and the black and white paint seemed equally well applied and uniform.

Leica N.J. charged $175.00 plus return shipping. That was back around mid year 2009. Don charged $90.00 ea. plus return shipping.

I'd be curious to see a picture of the machining as well. Does NJ actually machine the existing part, or replace the part with a coded version?
I can't easily provide a picture nowadays as my 100/2.8 APO Macro R is without a body. Waiting for Leica to make good on their promise to R users. :rolleyes:

Don''t know what Leica does wrt machining the depressions.

dannh

Thanks Roger. Have a few lenses that I'd like CLA'd, and might as well have them coded at the same time.

Any chance you can pass on his email address or phone number? PM is fine. Or maybe he's too busy already, as mentioned above!

beamon

Any chance you can pass on his email address or phone number? PM is fine. Or maybe he's too busy already, as mentioned above!
Check your PM Dan. Let's keep good people busy. We need them. Their experience can't be acquired in a short time.

Godfrey

heya roger,

good to hear that Don is continuing to work his magic.

gosh, i haven't spoken with him since the beginning of the century. he's always been booked up almost 24/7!

beamon

heya roger,

good to hear that Don is continuing to work his magic.

gosh, i haven't spoken with him since the beginning of the century. he's always been booked up almost 24/7!
I guess he stays busy, Godfrey, but I guess that the inexorable move to digital has cut it down some.

Do you still read the LEG and/or the LUG? The LEG still has a number of posts per day and I'm told that the LUG is still going strong, though I haven't subscribed for years.

Godfrey

Do you still read the LEG and/or the LUG? The LEG still has a number of posts per day and I'm told that the LUG is still going strong, though I haven't subscribed for years.
No, I jumped off the LUG about a decade ago and was only on the LEG for a short time. I sold my Leicas in Spring 2002. By mid-2004, I was out of the film camera world other than for nostalgia...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
:thumbs: for Don too btw - he adjusted my first Noctilux to perfection - that'll be the one that came brand new from Leica and seemingly calibrated by Mr Magoo. :thumbdown:

Leica replace the mount with a new coded part. No machining - at least not in NJ as far as I know.

Reynolds

Workshop Member
If I can add my two cents...

I sent my M9 to Dave Elwell in NJ and he very quickly calibrated the rangefinder. I found Dave very helpful and great to deal with. But, I was still having focus problems. I was becoming very confused and frustrated as to what was happening and what part of the photographic equation was at fault...including me!

With Mike Hatam's encouragement, I send my M9 and three lenses to DAG. Don inspected/adjusted them to perfection. They arrived in his shop on Monday, 1/18, and were back in my hands by 9:30a on Friday, 1/22. His email communication was fabulous with rates and schedule. He was just great to deal with. I really could not have asked for more.

Great service and expert work. Don't hesitate to go with DAG!

T

tonyroth

I recently used Don myself for several lenses and was very pleased. One should note that for their $150 (or $1750 Leica automatically fully checks lens callibration and makes any necessary adjustments, including tearing down the entire lens if necessary to ensure that it is returned with focus within tolerance. Don does NOT adjust focus callibration for his $90, though he will check to see if it does need recallibration for that price. If so, we will callibrate for an additional $60. Whether he can do a full lens tear down (if necessary), I cannot say.

In terms of the quality of his 6 bit coding, it is every bit as cleanly produced as the Leica work. The shape of the 6 engraved areas is a bit different, moral oval shaped and less rectangular, but functions exactly the same.

beamon

I recently used Don myself for several lenses and was very pleased. One should note that for their $150 (or $1750 Leica automatically fully checks lens callibration and makes any necessary adjustments, including tearing down the entire lens if necessary to ensure that it is returned with focus within tolerance. Don does NOT adjust focus callibration for his $90, though he will check to see if it does need recallibration for that price. If so, we will callibrate for an additional $60. Whether he can do a full lens tear down (if necessary), I cannot say.

In terms of the quality of his 6 bit coding, it is every bit as cleanly produced as the Leica work. The shape of the 6 engraved areas is a bit different, moral oval shaped and less rectangular, but functions exactly the same.
Interesting. The two the Don just did for me had engraved "pits" that were so similar to Leica's shape that w/o micromeasuring them they looked identical.

Also, Leica charged me $175 for coding around the middle of last year.

Edit: My bad. Just looked very closely and sure enough, the DAG "pits" are ever so slightly more oval than the Leica "pits". The area of the pits is very slightly larger in the Leica ones also. Good eye, Tony! :)

Last edited:

Reynolds

Workshop Member
Let me add to my glowing comments about Don's good work, the fact that he examined two of my lenses and found them to be in good order...thus, no charge. With four items in hand, he found two to adjust...wonderful care and integrity...I really appreciate that!!