The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need a Macro lens for a M8

Scargos2

Most lens have a 3 meter range. Need some thing closer.
What is available that can be used on a Lecia M8 ?

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Almost all Leica lenses have a minimum focus distance of 1m (3ft). Some lenses, like 50 Summilux ASPH and 75 APO-Summicron have min focus distances of 0.7m. The only true macro lens is the Macro-Elmar-M 90mm with the Macro Adapter-M. The 90mm itself is just a 90 that will focus to 0.7m, but with the adapter, it will give a 1:3 reproduction ratio. In fact, with the adapter attached, the lens will only work in the close focus range and will not be able to focused to infinity.

Hope this helps.

David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Hi David,

So does the adapter act like an extension tube?

Thx. Gary
Yes, as well as providing "glasses" for the rangefinder to allow closer focusing.

The M rangefinder is only able to achieve focus at 0.7m without correction. This is why the Wide Angle Tri Elmar (WATE) has a section of the focusing scale in gray numbers - these distances are within the lens' capability, but are not rangefinder-coupled.

David

Greg Lockrey

Yes, as well as providing "glasses" for the rangefinder to allow closer focusing.

The M rangefinder is only able to achieve focus at 0.7m without correction. This is why the Wide Angle Tri Elmar (WATE) has a section of the focusing scale in gray numbers - these distances are within the lens' capability, but are not rangefinder-coupled.

David
What if you used a Visioflex and extention bellows with it?

jonoslack

Bart (Knorp) is the expert here - he's taken many splendid macro shots with his visoflex.

I use the 75 'cron for 'close up' - it focuses down to 0.7 metre, and so, after the 90 macro, provides the best native magnification of 1:7 - not perfect, but the lens has other uses, so it's a decent compromise.

Bart Bart Bart Bart

Where are you when we need you!?

Knorp

Hi Rick,

The visoflex will really get you pretty close to your subjects, but it's a balancing act between getting close, getting magnification and not disturbing or effecting your subject. To learn more about the visoflex-system you may take a look at "Leica Instructions for use of Reproduction Devices including Visoflexes and Bellows etc". I bought a reproduction from the Collector Book Store (www.collectorbookstore.com) for $10 and found it very helpful. Especially for understanding the funny names :rolleyes:

You may try this link first, it explains on-line about everything to know about the visoflex: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/leica/leitz_visoflex_iii/leitz_visoflex_iii.htm and certainly a lot more than I know.

Please keep in mind that a dSLR is probably more convenient to work with but I think the visoflex-system will still do nicely with excellent results. I've included two shots of my rigs and their results. The first is the classic macro solution with visoflex-3, bellows-2, extention tube and the tele-elmar 4.0/135mm (head-only). With that contraption I shot the dragonfly. The second is again a visoflex-3 but this time with R-2-M mount adaptor and an apo-macro-elmarit 2.8/100mm. This and a 2x-apo-extender was used for the froglet that was just over 3 cm long and a little over 1 mtr distance.

Hope this gives you an idea of what is possible and a good starting point.
Kind regards.

Last edited:
D

drxcm

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with Macro on an M. The 90 Macro-Elmarit lens is a great optic for sure, but for that price I'd be buying an SLR and a dedicated macro lens.

jonoslack

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with Macro on an M. The 90 Macro-Elmarit lens is a great optic for sure, but for that price I'd be buying an SLR and a dedicated macro lens.
But at least some of the stuff Bart is using can be picked up very reasonably . . and look at his results!

Paratom

I agree I wouldnt buy that lens just for Macro use.
However it can be also a very nice and light travel lens and if you see it as a combination of that and Macro lens it might make sens.
However I discovered that I prefer the Bokeh of other 75/90mm lenses over that of the 90 Macro and therefore dont use it as much as I had intended when I got it.

If you hike there is still a certain "charme" to have a very light Macro combo.

Another thought: Small sensor cameras also make a lot of sense for macro with their large DOF and swivel Displays. Of course not the tonality like a M9

Closeups and macro will be what I still keep my G1 + Leica-to-mFT adapters for. Weighs less than a Viso, can take anything the Viso can, and that swivelling screen....

Best of two worlds, horses for courses, or whatever....

Scargos2

Think I will test a 75mm Summarit, It focuses at .09. A friend has one for me to try.
Will report back, after trial.
Thanks for all the info.
Rick Rickard