The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Images from the Carmel Workshop

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What to you see what we shot after the workshop today. I took the remaining attendees (5) that are staying the night to the CA coast and they nailed it.

Terry

reviewing the shots now. Wow! Unfortunately, I don't have a wireless connection right now to post.

Terry

Well it looks like Guy just posted similar shots in the MF forum here are a few of my versions. I'll let you decide what came from the M8 vs. D300.

I so wish we still had the printers here and hooked up. Honestly, printing large has always been intimidating and after the workshop I feel so much more confident in correctly preparing the files that I will now invest in a good printer and high quality paper.

View attachment 2988

View attachment 2989

View attachment 2990

View attachment 2991

View attachment 2992

jonoslack

I so wish we still had the printers here and hooked up. Honestly, printing large has always been intimidating and after the workshop I feel so much more confident in correctly preparing the files that I will now invest in a good printer and high quality paper.

Lovely shots Terry - glad you had a great time, and Guy, if you're reading this, that beach with the waterfall . . .. I want to be there!

Terry, as for large prints . . . . They're great, would you like some of the large pile I have here! Once you've filled the walls, they kind of accumulate!

What sort of printer are you aiming for?

Terry

Jono
LOL - that was part II of why I had resisted a printer was wall space. I guess my walls will be adjusted seasonally! I will get the Epson 3800 which we used in class and the prints were gorgeous. A side benefit being that Jack who is wonderful at printing has given the attendees good profiles for a printer/paper combo that I like.

robsteve

Subscriber
that IR is hideous

Exactly, that was the point I was trying to make about Bobs spin on my IR image:) I converted to get a WB like he had and then went to town on saturation.

I have not done much with IR and learned at this workshop that a lot of the IRs posted are blends of the IR filtered and a normal color versions of the image. My next attempts at IR will be using this blending of the IR image with a colour image.

Robert

Last edited:

LJL

One from yesterday.

To my humble view, THIS is why some things should be SHOT BIG and PRINTED BIG! This is that same cove with the waterfall, but a much tighter view, which brings out so much texture and color. I like the repeating arcs of the waterline and the wet shore, plus the details in the rocks. My only item of discord in a way is that this "prime cut" section of this cove/shore does not really have an "anchor" on the upper right corner, so my eye tends to wander out of the image a bit more. Same for the bottom left. Just my thoughts.

However, take THIS kind of detail, color, texture, saturation, etc., and place this into the bigger context of the same shot Terry has just above, or the shot that Guy has posted from the Mamiya ZD, and you get that killer image. Only way to really appreciate that is to shoot/frame larger and to print really big to keep this "prime cut" as part of the final image. Then ones eye can gaze endlessly at nuances, but be kept from wandering out of the frame.

Really not meaning this as anything other than a viewer thought/art critic perspective. I love this shot. I love the other, wider shots too. Only way to get the best of both is in a BIG print, but handled with the careful eye for detail that this shot has. This is great stuff.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just got home. Hmmm

I want to go back to that beach. I think that is the new GetDPI.com Happy Place.

Many thoughts run through my head looking at that beach. Sure hope there is a heaven like that.