The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What you guys think of upgrading my M8 to a M8.u ?

proenca

Hi there,

Although I would like to buy a M8.2 or even a M9, the current aquisition of a WATE makes that impossible otherwise the wife :deadhorse: ... :p

Now seriously, I was thinking :

A good, mint M8.2 goes around for 2.500 pounds / 3000 euros / 4000 usd , or something around that region.

For one third of this, if still running, I can get my M8 upgraded to a M8.2 - shutter and framelines. I dont care about the sapphire glass.

Which seems perfect to me while I get money together for that M9 and then have two bodies : M8.u and M9.

I have just sent an email to Leica asking if the upgrade program is still running and what is the average turnaround for this as of today.

What you guys think ? Good idea ? Stupid ?

jonoslack

Hi there,

Although I would like to buy a M8.2 or even a M9, the current aquisition of a WATE makes that impossible otherwise the wife :deadhorse: ... :p

Now seriously, I was thinking :

A good, mint M8.2 goes around for 2.500 pounds / 3000 euros / 4000 usd , or something around that region.

For one third of this, if still running, I can get my M8 upgraded to a M8.2 - shutter and framelines. I dont care about the sapphire glass.

Which seems perfect to me while I get money together for that M9 and then have two bodies : M8.u and M9.

I have just sent an email to Leica asking if the upgrade program is still running and what is the average turnaround for this as of today.

What you guys think ? Good idea ? Stupid ?
Hi There
Well, having upgraded 2 M8s . . and then selling them both when I got an M9, I think that the upgrade procedure was probably the only bad bit of the deal.

If you are thinking of getting an M9 and using your M8 as a backup, then there is an argument to say that the M8 will be a better backup than the M8u (i.e. you'll have the higher shutter speed for bright light).

Why not put the money away in a pot and save it for your M9?

Incidentally, I didn't manage to chip in on the WATE thread, but it sounds like you got a great deal, and it really is a lovely lens, fiddly on the M8 (but still wonderful) - on the M9 it's set free!

all the best

proenca

Jono,

thanks for having the time to reply - good answer.

Nonetheless, Leica slashed the prices on the upgrades and since I will eventually upgrade to a M9 but not right now, the upgrade starts to make a bit of sense.

Specially when I enquired the price and for 900€ they do the upgrade AND with shipping included ( UPS ) to Portugal - turn around time of 10-12 days.

Seems a good deal to me and while I could put that money away for the M9, the M9 availability is still scarce and well, the total money for the M9 is still 5000€ or so - having bought a WATE now and the big holiday trip comming up , I think the M9 is postpone until last quarter 2010, which would be good since until there the supply issue will be resolved - I hope.

Interim, seems a good option to update my M8 to a M8.2 - 8000/th speed is nice but to be honest, I rarely use it - can live much better with the brighter frame lines and with a more silent shutter.

Cheers

Ron (Netherlands)

although I have the M8.2, I would think that uprading costs + the investment in the M8, costs as much, so no difference actually. Perhaps an M8.2 keeps its value a little longer but if I look at upgraded LTM Leica's in the fifties: they have nowadays as much value as the original ones, so all is quite relative.