The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The M9 as a Landscape camera

jonoslack

Now Don's encouraged me there'll be no end of trouble!

I like the teetering distortion on this because of the juxtaposition with the criss cross sky.

Don Libby

Hi Jono - Once again you did it with the recent image. I love the combination of the sky and cathedral. I also think it just "works" with the distortion of the building. You taught me something here my friend as I would have attempted to make the building appear straight using all sorts of movements on my WRS.

There's a sense of something here that I feel really makes for a good image whether it's a landscape image or not. I like to call it soul.

Thank you for sharing.

Don

jonoslack

Hi Jono - Once again you did it with the recent image. I love the combination of the sky and cathedral. I also think it just "works" with the distortion of the building. You taught me something here my friend as I would have attempted to make the building appear straight using all sorts of movements on my WRS.

There's a sense of something here that I feel really makes for a good image whether it's a landscape image or not. I like to call it soul.

Thank you for sharing.

Don
HI Don
Thank you!
Well, it's back to the lackadaisical I'm afraid . . .I don't have the movements , and so I can't do it. My trouble however, is that 'soul' seems to be all I have!
I always do the old thing - you know, take a shot, then stop and think and take THE shot . . . . but it's always the first one that works (before I start thinking).
It's the reason I don't use a tripod, and why I haven't stepped into the MF world, too much thought always seems to spoil it!

all the best

Don Libby

HI Don
Thank you!
Well, it's back to the lackadaisical I'm afraid . . .I don't have the movements , and so I can't do it. My trouble however, is that 'soul' seems to be all I have!
I always do the old thing - you know, take a shot, then stop and think and take THE shot . . . . but it's always the first one that works (before I start thinking).
It's the reason I don't use a tripod, and why I haven't stepped into the MF world, too much thought always seems to spoil it!

all the best
Never be afraid to follow you heart! I think at times we over think what we want to capture/convey and loose sight of what's in front of us. Call it what you want however I see a lot of soul in your lackadaisical landscape images. :p I'll sometimes take numerous shots and find that the best are either the first or the last.

Sometimes the act of the numerous shots are just me returning to the "good old days" of film.

Cheers

Don

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'll sometimes take numerous shots and find that the best are either the first or the last.
I can completely relate to this. The annoying thing is when you review the shots and the realization hits you that not only was the last shot the best, but the scene before you obviously was still getting better although it didn't seem like it at the time. (That camera vision vs human vision of light thing is a bugger some times!)

jonoslack

Fabulous Arne
I especially like the first two . . . and I hope your M9 appears really soon, not because the pictures will be better, but because you'll really enjoy it!

P.S. did you chop down all the trees for the last shot :)

Arne Hvaring

Thank you all for the comments and kind words, much appreciated!
Jono, I was on the fence for a long while re the M9, but the enthusiasm and great results I've seen posted here and elsewhere tipped the scale. For me it will serve mainly as a high-quality travel camera, but with the inceased resolution, it will no doubt see landscape/nature usage for larger prints as well.

leif e

Arne! Lovely pictures - can I ask where exactly where those beautiful mountains are? Could they be somewhere in northern Sweden?

That last ice picture is moving!

leif e

Arne Hvaring

Hei Leif!
Glad you enjoyed the images. The mountains are actually Norwegian, close to Lom. The lake is called Tyssevannet as far as I remember. Great place.

leif e

I should blush (I even considered Scotland for a while). That roundness had me confused.
Now I know I have a couple of areas to study still (actualy a lot). (Lom is just about the driest place in Norway btw).

leif e

Don Libby

Dave Gallagher of Capture Integration just emailed me saying a M9 along with a 35 and 50mm lenses will be heading my way early next week. Oh boy, just in time for my trip to Carmel then Yosemite the following week. I also just now ordered a Thumbs-up.

I was going to just sit back and not say anything till I posted my first images however I just couldn’t resist the urge.

Get ready Jono I hope to be posting landscape images of my own very soon! :salute:

Don