The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The M9 as a Landscape camera

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I guess these are probably cityscapes ... but, Per happened to bring up Röros so I felt obligated to offer a few Röros shots with the M8 (along with a bonus Tronheim shot for good measure). ;)

By the way Don, your M9 shots are looking good.

Kurt

otumay

Trondheim? What a coincidence! I was playing Empire Deluxe and just managed to conquer Trondheim;)
Best,
Osman

leif e

Beat Trondheim??:eek: Not possible. My home town. No way.:lecture:

Edit: Nice shots, Kurt! And Per; you could of course take the trip from Röros!:D

Stuart Richardson

Beautiful shots everyone! What a cool little town too -- it looks like something out of the 19th century (though it being Norway, I am sure that if you step inside one of those houses, it will be completely up to date). By the way Per, it looks like you have the same light we do at this time of year -- blue, blue, blue. It is not quite so strong right now, but back in January it was like photographing cyanotypes straight from the camera.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I really like your shots, Don, but I do find the copyright notice a bit distracting. I can understand the reason and the dilemma, but maybe if you posted them in a resolution that would make them less usable?

Don Libby

I really like your shots, Don, but I do find the copyright notice a bit distracting. I can understand the reason and the dilemma, but maybe if you posted them in a resolution that would make them less usable?
That's okay, I don't like it either. I'm working a newer hopefully small and more tasteful one. I really don't want to lower the resolution any further as I feel it takes away from the image more than the copyright does.

Don

Beautiful shots everyone! What a cool little town too -- it looks like something out of the 19th century (though it being Norway, I am sure that if you step inside one of those houses, it will be completely up to date). By the way Per, it looks like you have the same light we do at this time of year -- blue, blue, blue. It is not quite so strong right now, but back in January it was like photographing cyanotypes straight from the camera.
Röros is a World Heritage IIRC, and Kurt´s images are great! I hope to go there again this summer...

The light that day was indeed blue (shot with auto WB and not "corrected" in LR). It was the most beautiful light for the whole week, and very unlike anything we get in Stockholm... I´ve never been to Iceland, but if the light is like that, I´d certainly like to go some day!

Stuart Richardson

It is like that in the deep winter. Here is an example from last year -- just very blue. I think it comes from the fact that the sun is often very low or completely below the horizon, so the rays of light have to travel through much more atmosphere. Or perhaps it is that the blue sky is the primary source of illumination, rather than the sun itself. I am not sure exactly how it works, but I know that when I correct for it in lightroom, the kelvin temperature has been as far as 50,000K to get a neutral image! This is just a regular slide film shot:

And this from the M9:
Partially Corrected WB

Daylight WB:

C

Chris_R

Great shots Don. I really like the one with the wolf/coyote in it.

Cheers
Chris

Alnitak

Don, I like your images, but I have to say that they all look just a tad underexposed to me. Are you processing on a calibrated monitor?

Jeff

Don Libby

Kurt & Chris - Thanks guys I like that shot as well. I think it's a wolf as it appears to be larger than the coyotes that roam in out rear yard. I'm glad I had the 50mm on but wish I had the 90 instead. I did have the 90 with me however I didn't think he wait for me to change lens. I think we were within 100 yards of each other.

Jeff - I'm processing them on my laptop which I calibrated before going on the trip. They look fine here but I'll give them another look once I get home next week.

Don

eleanorbrown

Don how does your M9 and Leica glass compare to your P45+ images in terms of resolution (not size), dynamic range, color, smoothness of tones, etc. Just wondering! eleanor

Kurt & Chris - Thanks guys I like that shot as well. I think it's a wolf as it appears to be larger than the coyotes that roam in out rear yard. I'm glad I had the 50mm on but wish I had the 90 instead. I did have the 90 with me however I didn't think he wait for me to change lens. I think we were within 100 yards of each other.

Jeff - I'm processing them on my laptop which I calibrated before going on the trip. They look fine here but I'll give them another look once I get home next week.

Don

jonoslack

Hi There
Lovely shots everyone - grand stuff. We had another dreary wet weekend - I went out walking with the camera, but didn't take any shots (just got very wet and dropped my EP-1 into 2 feet of muddy water :(

Don - your new watermark is much better . . . .I gave up on one when I realised how easy it was to clone out if you really want to steal someone's pictures.

all the best