The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The M9 as a Landscape camera

markowich

Of course you knew that 99.43% of the population have more than the average number of legs?

Well, I love my WATE - but I've never shot that block of flats!

I haven't got the iPad yet . . . tracking currently has it languishing in customs at Stansted, but it is due to reach us in darkest Suffolk tomorrow. Personally I'm much more envious of having to be in Beijing on Sunday!

all the best
those office blocks on the KAUST campus down in saudi arabia really represent the elk test of lens distorsion. i shall take the WATE down there next time and then we can compare.
anyway, i feel that leica really screwed up on the 18mm SE. too many design compromises...but what for? it is not even a high speed lens, on the contrary it is VERY slow. and then that kind of distorsion? i am inclined to call it the leica wave---))) for 2400.- euros?????
peter

markowich

M9, 35mm Lux, iso 160. The Cape of Good Hope, 2 weeks ago.
peter
i just got my 100x80cm lambda print of that landscape shot. uprezing was done in CS4, some sharpening and mild contrast curves. keep in mind this is a very high information content shot, lots of foliage and other details around.
the print looks very good, AFAIAC it easily beats medium format film, probably it is on the level of 4x5 film. D3x does a slightly better though with the best nikon lenses. but then again the weight-to-IQ ratio of the M system is unbeatable...
all in all, i consider 100cm wide prints more or less the limit of the M9 for high information content images, certainly abstracts can be printed much larger.
anyway we also had some H4D II 50 and some P65+ alpa+rodenstock lenses lambda prints done at a width of 160cm.....stunning. after seeing them i had hard a hard time looking at my M9 print....so what you pay is what you get---)))
peter

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It works reasonably well as a landscape camera as long as you hold it horizontally.
Otherwise, it is a portrait camera.
-bob

Alnitak

Landscape photography is one of the things the M9 excels at IMO. I like having something like that I can take nearly anywhere, with great quality glass that is sharp to the corners. From a recent trip to see the spring wildflowers in CA:

Jeff

J

Jeff Day

I decided to do a road trip and take in the Seattle stop for the Leica Road Show. It was a lot of fun hearing all about the M9 from the pros (Justin and Chris (Weeks)), and to get to try the Nocti 50/0.95. Their focus was more on street photography rather than landscape, so I didn't get too many tips on landscape, which I was hoping for being a beginner at photography.

Road trips are good for the soul, though, and maybe even better than chicken soup. After leaving Seattle, I stopped in La Conner for a little R&R, had breakfast at the Calico Cupboard (certainly one of the great places to have breakfast), then went out to take in the natural beauty and snap a couple landscape photos.

After seeing all those gorgeous photos you all posted, I feel a little intimidated as a beginner posting something, but here goes with a shot from an M9 plus 90/2.8 Elmarit!

m_driscoll

Here's one from last weekend.

Billy: Very nice. The blue makes it seem cold and foreboding. Are you up in Alberta?

I guess you could call it a streetscape, but to me, its all about the surrounding landscape. :)
Jeff: I was joking. To me, It is about the landscape and it's relationship to the road and yellow lines.

I decided to do a road trip and take in the Seattle stop for the Leica Road Show. It was a lot of fun hearing all about the M9 from the pros (Justin and Chris (Weeks)), and to get to try the Nocti 50/0.95. Their focus was more on street photography rather than landscape, so I didn't get too many tips on landscape, which I was hoping for being a beginner at photography.

Road trips are good for the soul, though, and maybe even better than chicken soup. After leaving Seattle, I stopped in La Conner for a little R&R, had breakfast at the Calico Cupboard (certainly one of the great places to have breakfast), then went out to take in the natural beauty and snap a couple landscape photos.

After seeing all those gorgeous photos you all posted, I feel a little intimidated as a beginner posting something, but here goes with a shot from an M9 plus 90/2.8 Elmarit!

Jeff: Good photo. The composition, DOF/OOF, and IQ are great. Post some more.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Don Libby

I thought I'd visit here and add a couple local shots from yesterday. Both images shot with the Cron 50mm f/9.5 processed in CS4.

Don

m_driscoll

Yes Jeff ,here is the original pic.
andreleon: Both are beautiful. i like the desaturated PP of the first.

I thought I'd visit here and add a couple local shots from yesterday. Both images shot with the Cron 50mm f/9.5 processed in CS4.

Don
Don: The framing in the first works well and I like the way this one leads the eye up the hill. Composition and PP are terrific.

M9 50mm Lux
Tim: Outstanding photo of moving water. The composition great.

Here's one with the M9 50/2 Summicron

Jeff: Beautiful photo! That must be Roozen-Gaarde? We went up a couple of weeks ago and figured out that we'd missed it all by several weeks. Everything was topped and the bulbs harvested.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com