The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Do IR cut filters affect image on M9?

tom in mpls

...I feel like I'm being told by some who choose not to use them that I'm really not a true and serious photographer should I consider putting on a clear filter. I react to it as a sort of "purist" snobbery.
I was feeling a bit testy yesterday after our Vikings literally dropped the ball.

On the other hand (and quite inconsistently) I don't use lens hoods...
Turn in your membership card, Jono. Actually, though, I am very pleased to hear that. I do so love the compact nature of the M system, and am relieved to have permission to go hoodless (is that a form of going naked?)

jonoslack

I was feeling a bit testy yesterday after our Vikings literally dropped the ball.
No worries - I didn't take it personally, because generally speaking I really don't feel that I do it (the purist snobbery bit).

Turn in your membership card, Jono. Actually, though, I am very pleased to hear that. I do so love the compact nature of the M system, and am relieved to have permission to go hoodless (is that a form of going naked?)
Absolutely - back to basics! (I've recently rediscovered how completely brilliant the leica carrying strap is)

all the best

oc garza

SNIP ...
I think that Tim has it - these things are down to personal preference, but, like you I really deeply resent the idea that you can't be a 'real' photographer if you don't do it 'properly'. In fact, I suffer from this all the time from 'real' landscape photographers who don't believe that you can take 'proper' landscape photographs without MF and a tripod. We all have to make compromises - otherwise everybody would be using 10x8 cameras!

all the best
Tom,
My wife conducts the Victoria Civic Chorus and because she sleeps with me, gave birth to our twins, doesn't give a hoot how much I spend on camera gear, and is the perfect wife, I photograph her concerts for her. (I know I know, did she get the short stick on this deal or what :ROTFL:) Anyway her concerts are either in a church or auditorium with mixed sources of light and the chorus singers are all dressed in black! With the M8 (and I assume with the M9 too,) I have to use IR cut filters at these concerts because tweaking each keeper takes far too much time (and frankly, my correction profiles "ain't that good".) So I have either a Leica or B&W cut filter for each lens. My point is there are reasons to keep those cut filters handy if you are shooting under conditions that will produce lots of magenta cast.

In my morning walks with my dog I try to stay away from filters because - as has been pointed out earlier - filters will cause light reflections. BUT, those light reflections are much easier to correct so if I forget to take the filter off, no big deal.

jonoslack

Tom,
My wife conducts the Victoria Civic Chorus and because she sleeps with me, gave birth to our twins, doesn't give a hoot how much I spend on camera gear, and is the perfect wife, I photograph her concerts for her. (I know I know, did she get the short stick on this deal or what :ROTFL:)
:ROTFL:
My wife is just the same as yours . . . except that it was 3 separate boys and I ride a horse with her instead of photographing concerts.
Anyway her concerts are either in a church or auditorium with mixed sources of light and the chorus singers are all dressed in black! With the M8 (and I assume with the M9 too,)
Don't assume that you have to with the M9 as well - it isn't a good assumption.
I have to use IR cut filters at these concerts because tweaking each keeper takes far too much time (and frankly, my correction profiles "ain't that good".) So I have either a Leica or B&W cut filter for each lens. My point is there are reasons to keep those cut filters handy if you are shooting under conditions that will produce lots of magenta cast.
The M9 really is a different beast in this respect - you CAN SOMETIMES see some magenta - especially in bags and suchlike, but in 3 weddings I never saw it once, and the only time I've seen it 'in anger' it took a small magenta desaturation to remove it. With the M8 filters were vital - even outside (if you didn't want nasty yellow greens).

In my morning walks with my dog I try to stay away from filters because - as has been pointed out earlier - filters will cause light reflections. BUT, those light reflections are much easier to correct so if I forget to take the filter off, no big deal.
Cyan corners are certainly not easier to correct (Sean Reid found them wider than 50mm on the M9), nor is the rather odd colour balance that I saw using filters on the M9.

all the best

jonoslack

Jono, don't tell me you follow American football.
No, I'm sorry to disappoint you - I don't even follow English Football! Simply that there are lots of things I could be accused of which would make me very unhappy (the ones I'm guilty of) . . . . but purist snob isn't really one of them!

oc garza

:ROTFL:
...snip...
Don't assume that you have to with the M9 as well - it isn't a good assumption.

The M9 really is a different beast in this respect - you CAN SOMETIMES see some magenta - especially in bags and suchlike, but in 3 weddings I never saw it once, and the only time I've seen it 'in anger' it took a small magenta desaturation to remove it. With the M8 filters were vital - even outside (if you didn't want nasty yellow greens).

Cyan corners are certainly not easier to correct (Sean Reid found them wider than 50mm on the M9), nor is the rather odd colour balance that I saw using filters on the M9.

all the best
Whoa..., this is good news to me... I hope. As you said, the cut filters stayed on my M8 lenses all the time, they had to. Will have to do some testing before my wife's spring chorus concert as the range of clothing used on stage varies from the highly reflective to the fine wool from your part of the world.

I have a few lenses I've been switching back and forth between the M8 and M9 and really hadn't noticed any cyan corners, but I do not have them on the longer lenses I use for her concerts. I don't see any significant cyan corners on Jklotz's photo of the bag posted earlier in this thread. But it's always those "SOMETIMES" that worry me with this magenta business with 80 singers dressed in every shade of black imagineable on stage.

Thanks for the heads up, will re-read the Reid review too.

henningw

I have a few lenses I've been switching back and forth between the M8 and M9 and really hadn't noticed any cyan corners, but I do not have them on the longer lenses I use for her concerts. I don't see any significant cyan corners on Jklotz's photo of the bag posted earlier in this thread. But it's always those "SOMETIMES" that worry me with this magenta business with 80 singers dressed in every shade of black imagineable on stage.

Thanks for the heads up, will re-read the Reid review too.
It's the shorter lenses you have to worry about. Feel free to leave IR cut filters on longer lenses. 50mm lenses might just have noticeably cyan corners with IR cut filters, 35mm will have definitely cyan corners but might still be OK, depending on your sensitivity and subject matters (large evenly lit neutral surfaces show up cyan corners easiest). 28mm lenses and shorter are definitely problematic. The off-colour blacks are a lot easier to deal with, even if you have a lot of pictures than trying to deal with cyan corners, a lot of pictures or not.

The bag was clearly shot with a longer than 35mm focal length, or at least cropped tighter.

Henning

gogopix

Subscriber
In addition to the negativesof the Cut filter mentioned by Jono, there is a simple profile fix for the VERY few 'magenta leaks"
The base profile was by jamie roberts? I think on LUF
I tweaked for a little better color.
Here's the result on the image above
hope this helps
victor

oc garza

Victor,

I will seek out that profile. If there is a way to avoid IR cut filters on the M9 I would prefer that. My own profiles did not work out that well because of the different magenta casts produced by different light temperatures on different clothing worn by chorus members. Seems like the wool fabric had little cast to it but the new, lighter synthetic materials are prone to it.

jonoslack

It's the shorter lenses you have to worry about. Feel free to leave IR cut filters on longer lenses.
I disagree with this quite radically - you won't get funny corners, but (IMHO of course) you WILL get less good colour in natural light.

all the best