The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Yikes! Why oh why do they do this

V

Vivek

The irony is:

The serial numbers start with 1949, the year Mao Zedong’s communists seized control of the country. Priced at $199,900 yuan, the golden camera and lens come in a luxury wooden box. Honestly, we have no idea of what Marx, Engels or Mao himself would have thought of something as blatantly bourgeois as a golden camera that costs hundreds of times more than what the average Chinese worker earns in a month, but we have the sinking feeling that they might not have approved of the idea…

D&A

At least there is a more tasteful commerative M8.2 (in black) to go along with these commemerations....since us Digital users expect to be discrete at all times...never mind the "bling" Luigi cases, thumgs up and sometimes our own colorful array of camera leathers to refinish our M8/M9 camera bodies :)

jonoslack

The limited edition is for 60 units and I bet Leica knows 61 collectors (and probably more) that want (have-to-have) one!
Exactly, and if they're making $20,000 on each of them that's a lot of money to go back into R&D. Just as long as I don't have to buy one myself.

Bad Taste - sure - dreadful, but it does give us all a lot of pleasure being horrified by it!

all the best

fotoism

Don't be disappointed, people. Just give it a few weeks I'm sure the Chinese will come up with red lens caps for it, with Leica logo and all. I bet you can't even tell if it wasn't from Solms.

hunghang

Having grown up in the Asian culture, anything with gold is a status symbol regardless of its appropriateness. "Beautiful babies" are adorned with gold just because it's meant to make them "look good".

bensonga

For the amount of money they spent pulling this together, they should have brought out a digital R10....even if it was just a re-badged Nikon D3 with a Leica lens mount.

Gary

jonoslack

For the amount of money they spent pulling this together, they should have brought out a digital R10....even if it was just a re-badged Nikon D3 with a Leica lens mount.

Gary
Hi Gary
That's a completely spurious argument
It won't have cost much to pull this together - really not, and it'll make huge and immediate profits.

I think it's disgusting, horrible, nasty - but if someone wants it, and wants to pay ludicrous money for it, then why on earth should one complain.

The idea that this is spending valuable assets which could be ploughed into something else is simply wrong - it's MAKING valuable assets, not using them.

I think they should keep doing these things and put the proceeds towards bringing out a digital R10. Then whoever wants these things will be happy, and so will we!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What are you guys complaining about? I'm sure the Chinese will love it, and there's enough of them rich enough to buy the entire collection. I would be more worried if somebody placed this in my living room :eek: :

Fortunately, I believe they are sold out (at a retail price of 165,000 American Dollars), but you can still order this one :cry: :

Only eight are made, and I'm sure it's much more expensive than any Leica.