The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Yikes! Why oh why do they do this

fotografz

Needs a gold lens cap with a red star on it!
Bingo!

Now you are talking. Leica could then add a couple thousand $ to the price.

If the covering was called "Imperial Capitalist Pig Skin" they could have charged even more :ROTFL:

-Marc (I wouldn't be caught dead with that) Williams

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Perfect discrete street camera in some parts of California and other locations where yachts gather.
-bob

jonoslack

Perfect discrete street camera in some parts of California and other locations where yachts gather.
-bob
I was thinking it might go down well in Azerbaijan as well - when I was there in the summer there was a huge and gloriously bling yacht called 'Sedition'. I bet he'll order one of these!

Sigh.....

This is the kind of thing that gives Leica users, in general, a reputation of being status symbol holders with more money than brains.

The enlightened know better but still, I think this kind of thing really hurts the general perception of the Leica user/owner.

It's gaudy, pretentious and embarassing. I'm sure there will be buyers but I doubt any of them visit this forum.

Couldn't Leica think of a better way to produce revenue?

beamon

Re: Sigh.....

Couldn't Leica think of a better way to produce revenue?
Probably not, Jim. Leica has what they have to sell and that's it! If they can gussy it up to appeal to the 'carriage trade' with a small amount of extra production time and money and achieve an inordinate profit, what's the harm?

Those of us who run in more moderate circles have little concept of how 'they' live. Gaudy, pretentious and embarrassing are pretty subjective; my 'pretentious' being another's 'ordinary' at any given time. Heck, the car I drive today was pretentious (to me) 30 years ago, and it's only a Lincoln MKX. Those guys driving the MB 6 class are the ones with more money than brains. ;)

I'd bet that the photographers considered to have more money than brains are us! Us being those who shoot the 'garden variety' Leicas. After all, much less expensive cameras will take pictures that are thought to be easily the equal of Leicas, not?

fotografz

Re: Sigh.....

Probably not, Jim. Leica has what they have to sell and that's it! If they can gussy it up to appeal to the 'carriage trade' with a small amount of extra production time and money and achieve an inordinate profit, what's the harm?

Those of us who run in more moderate circles have little concept of how 'they' live. Gaudy, pretentious and embarrassing are pretty subjective; my 'pretentious' being another's 'ordinary' at any given time. Heck, the car I drive today was pretentious (to me) 30 years ago, and it's only a Lincoln MKX. Those guys driving the MB 6 class are the ones with more money than brains. ;)

I'd bet that the photographers considered to have more money than brains are us! Us being those who shoot the 'garden variety' Leicas. After all, much less expensive cameras will take pictures that are thought to be easily the equal of Leicas, not?
Yeah, what is interesting is that the western aesthetic sense is based on interpretations of the Greek ideal ... yet the pristine white marble Greek buildings and statues were actually painted in a manner we would consider gaudy and loud. :eek:

bensonga

Hi Gary
That's a completely spurious argument
It won't have cost much to pull this together - really not, and it'll make huge and immediate profits.
Yeah, I guess you're right about that Jono. :eek:

I think they should keep doing these things and put the proceeds towards bringing out a digital R10. Then whoever wants these things will be happy, and so will we!
If only they (Leica) would do that! If that were the case, I'd say make a diamond encrusted Leica for anyone with the $$$$ to pay for it. :thumbs:

Personally, I'm not asking for much....a re-badged D3 or 1Ds with a Leica lens mount and proper focusing screen would be more than enough for me. :)

I just don't want to take the drastic step of converting my Leica R lenses via the Leitax adapter for use on a Nikon and not be able to use them on my R8 anymore. I've got the Canon adapter, but focusing with my Canon 5D is not as good as I would like.

Gary