The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

21 lux arrived

Terry

Peter,
Enjoy it! I used the 24 lux for a little while and fell in love with it. So, I can see why you can't put it down.

D&A

Double Negative Wrote >>> "The bar looks like Finnegan's. I'm usually at Katie M's a couple of streets over, heh. No food though."<<<

Hey, I could have guessed that (Finnegan's)...it's written right on the napkin (in the pic)...LOL . Do I win both a cupie doll too and a weeks time with the 21mm Lux? (don't I wish). Actually I may have been at that bar not all that long ago...since I used to spend a fair amount of time in or near Huntington...and in the past had been to the Basic Sciences tower (if thats the official name) there. Strange architecture to say the least.

Dave (D&A)

tom in mpls

Hey, I could have guessed that (Finnegan's)...it's written right on the napkin (in the pic)...LOL . Do I win both a cupie doll too and a weeks time with the 21mm Lux?
Dave, I studied that picture trying to figure out the name, but it is partially obstructed on one napkin and way out of focus on the other; I couldn't figure it out. No kewpie doll for me.

D&A

Tom...maybe it was my starting at that glass of Guinness that gave me the incentive of visualizing what was written on that napkin :)

Double Negative...really love that shot! It truly captures the warmth, ambiance and character of Finnagen's facade on a blustery cold wintry night...during holiday season.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

I took a look at the shots. I love the evocative mood of nightime shots, especially of vinatge buildings at holiday time covered in tinsel, decorations and of course has to have the obligatory snow..and with an ongoing Nor'easter, that isn't always easy, but lend to the mood.

I'm going to take a wild educated guess here, but anyone want to bet that none of those shots were taken with Double Neagtive's M8? :)

Oh, by the way, in regards to the comment I made to Tom in my post above....I meant to type >>> maybe it was my "Staring" at the glass of Guinness...not "Starting" at the glass....atohough both words fit in appropriately for the situation.

Dave (D&A)

Double Negative

Not Available
I took a look at the shots. I love the evocative mood of nightime shots, especially of vinatge buildings at holiday time covered in tinsel, decorations and of course has to have the obligatory snow..and with an ongoing Nor'easter, that isn't always easy, but lend to the mood.

I'm going to take a wild educated guess here, but anyone want to bet that none of those shots were taken with Double Neagtive's M8? :)
Thanks again, Dave! The snow was great timing for sure; and what a storm it was. I love nor'easters. :p

As for the camera, yeah - I won't be taking that bet. Heh. I was shooting my first digital camera - a Canon D30, back then. I don't even think I was shooting RAW at the time and my digital workflow has changed in just about every single way since! I'm surprised how well the white balance held up as the images are all as-shot.

D&A

You welcome Double Negative...I too am a fan of Nor'easters...but only if I don't have to drive in them :)

Funny at web size, I wonder if those particular images were posted and people assumed they were from a M8 or M9....bet there would be lots of comments how great the dynamic range was or the subtle presentation of colors. Funny, even in those years, if attention was paid to exposure and proper post processing (which apparently you most certainly did)....almost any decent digital camera in the right hands could make great web sized images (and more). I know some that still use the original Nikon D1, for such a purpose. Heck I still have some 16x20" images that will hold their own against many current cameras. Still no taking away the capabilities of the Leica M8's and M9's!

As for white balance, the M9, under certain lighting conditions, still lags behind some of the cameras shot in the era you took your shots :). One has to admire that!

Dave (D&A)

s.agar

Beautiful photos. Beautiful lens.

I had 1/2 hour to sneak outside and try it out. If you are considering this lens, but want a reason not to buy it.... stop reading now. It's first impression is that it is a truly great lens. Much smaller and easier to handle than I thought. Holds a wide dynamic range, beautiful tones and color, exquisite detail, fascinating ability to isolate subject at 21mm. Also, I got a Zeiss 21 mm finder thinkingI'd compare it to my CV 21 and send it back....no way, it's the nicest finder by far I've ever looked through. So her's a few to peak at. best....Peter

This one is a crop to show 1.4 isolation

These are stopped to 5.6 I believe, full frame.

Full sized here
http://www.pbase.com/halperin/image/121479883
http://www.pbase.com/halperin/image/121479843
http://www.pbase.com/halperin/image/121479905

Here's another example. I think this lens gets the most out of the M9 sensor. It renders detail so beautifully, and of course just provides a lot of information because it's so wide. It seems to have just the right amount of contrast, I'm finding skies are held without clipping to white more than other wider lenses. I know this is a matter of exposure decisions, but the "dynamic range" of this lens is great IMO. It holds highlights, and detail in shadows is also not clipped and very recoverable. Here's an image that I cropped a tiny amount from the left side for composition. I did a gentle curves adjust and saved it without sharpening full pixel size, but compressed to quality 10 JPG. Looking at details throughout the image, and the corner renditions on the right side (true full frame) knocks me out!
here's a link to the full sized image
http://www.pbase.com/image/121680859/original

Your welcome Hacker, I'm loving it. Jack- I have a few favorites and I sure wouldn't want to create any bad feelings amongst my friends so I'll respectfully decline to answer that one! best.....Peter

WoW!! that is one sharp lens!! Does it obstruct part of the viewfinder with the hood on?
Sorry for misinformation when I said the hood does not show up in the external VF. In fact it does intrude a bit in the lower margin of the Zeiss 21 finder, but is not a problem in use at all. best...Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Finally got a chance to try out my new 21 Summilux tonight, a little later than I'd normally shoot (no colour in the sky at this time) but I was impressed with the following M9 ISO 160, 1/20s @ f/2 handheld.

I'm really looking forward to using this lens more!

100% crop off centre.

Last edited: