The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

21 lux arrived

fotografz

Nice stuff ... heaven would be both wide Luxes. ;)

21mm IS different than the 24mm. I have the 24 because I can use it reasonably well without an aux. finder when shooting weddings ... especially with a SF24D and S-Fill to do a bit of fill flash.

I swear, this stuff has gotten so good :clap: I wonder why I use anything else :D

Marc

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I originally ordered the 24 'lux myself but when it actually arrived I had the opportunity to select the 21 'lux as an alternative. With my current lens setup (28/35/50/90) I figured that the 21 would be the better fit, particularly when I thin the herd a little more soon down to 21/35/50 'lux's & 90 Elmarit-M.

I can see why folks are raving over the 50/0.95 too now if it has the same apparent characteristics as the 21/24 'lux. I suspect that the forthcoming new 35 'lux might change everything again if it performs in a similar manner.

Hmmm ...

Congratulations Graham! The more I use mine, the more I like it. I choose it over the 24 for very similar reasons as yours, the 21-28-35-50-90 spread, but throw in a 75/1.4. I must say however that despite being wowed by the output of the latest Leica offerings, it's hard to imagine the new 35/1.4 asph being significantly "better" than the old version if one has a sample without significant focus shift that is.

But back to the thread, enjoy the 21 and post more examples please. best...Peter

J

Jose_Salcedo

I can see why folks are raving over the 50/0.95 too now if it has the same apparent characteristics as the 21/24 'lux. I suspect that the forthcoming new 35 'lux might change everything again if it performs in a similar manner.
The 21/1.4 actually shares important optical design details with the 50/0.95, and both (as the 24/1.4) were designed by Peter Karbe and his team. Peter is the new head of optics design at Leica. The new lenses that will come out soon (35/1.4, 75/1.4 and a new special 50, likely) will also share crucial elements of such design philosophy: outstanding sharpness and beautiful bookeh. The 3 current Summilux lenses and the Noctilux - 50/1.4, 21/1.4, 24/1.4, 50/0.95 - may well be the best camera lenses ever.

This was taken today with the M9+21/1.4:

Last edited:
J

Jose_Salcedo

wow that's awesome shot!
Thanks Clyde, the lens is indeed special, at least with the M9. By the way, this Redwood was born out of a piece of redwood burl that I brought from Big Sur to Portugal over 20 years ago. It now is a beautiful tree over 20 meters tall.