The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pictures from Friday Night's South Beach Shoot

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Our M8 South Beach even was great fun. We had an amazing corner suite on the top floor of the Loews hotel with an unbelievable view. The room and balcony were so nice, we almost didn't make it out to shoot. We had views of the ocean, downtown Miami across Biscayne Bay and straight down Collins Ave.

Here are a few of my pictures from the evening.

Enjoy. Comments always welcome.

David

Some good stuff here David and Carlos. Looks like a great time. I noticed two shots of the same fountain - David's was with a wide angle and Carlos's was with probably a close to normal fov - but both have a different white balance. I guess it goes to show how different each one recalls what they saw (or someone forgot to correct the white balance).

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Some good stuff here David and Carlos. Looks like a great time. I noticed two shots of the same fountain - David's was with a wide angle and Carlos's was with probably a close to normal fov - but both have a different white balance. I guess it goes to show how different each one recalls what they saw (or someone forgot to correct the white balance).
Mark,

That's the great thing about night/artificial light shooting. You can be a little creative with color balance. In my fountain shot I went more for the cool look. And yes, it was WA...the WATE at 16mm, in fact.

You're going to have to come down here for a visit before it gets too hot so we can go shooting.

David

etrigan63

I used my trusty CV 40mm Nokton f/1.4 (FOV 52mm) for that fountain shot. David also uses CaptureOne 4 with his own custom profiles, while I used Lightroom 1.4.1.

A little deft LR adjustment and I can get David's cooler look.

BTW, the chubby guy in the Fender Guitar shirt is me.

David,
I tried installing CO4 on my Mac but the activation screen says I have too many activations for the software. I have a trouble ticket opened with PhaseOne support and hopefully they will be able to resolve it.

Last edited:

harmsr

Workshop Member
Carlos,

This also happened to me once after changing computers. Go to the Phase One website, and login. Go to "My Account" then "License Management". You will most likely see several activations listed there as Computer 1, Computer 2, etc... You are only allowed to have two unique computers active with your license. Choose your license key and hit deactivate. You can then start up Capture One on your current machine and reactivate the software.

Should solve your problem.

Best,

Ray

I really want to get down there to see you David. I just have to get some time and money. I know it will cost me big time walking in your store. Heck, I have already spent a good sum there and have never been to the store.

Looking at the fountain shots again, it makes sense you would choose a cooler white balance since you have the pool of blue water in your shot. I agree with you Carlos it is a simple adjustment to change the white balance from warm to cool. I was merely making a commentary about how each of you saw the shot slightly different. In fact, that is what I like about workshops the most - shooting along side other people and realizing the different ways of seeing the same thing when reviewing images at the end of the day. It is a great learning experience.

H

Haya

Great images! I love all the night shots they really capture Miami!

etrigan63

Looking at the fountain shots again, it makes sense you would choose a cooler white balance since you have the pool of blue water in your shot. I agree with you Carlos it is a simple adjustment to change the white balance from warm to cool. I was merely making a commentary about how each of you saw the shot slightly different. In fact, that is what I like about workshops the most - shooting along side other people and realizing the different ways of seeing the same thing when reviewing images at the end of the day. It is a great learning experience.
I quite agree. The workshops are a tremendous learning experience. As Leica was involved directly in this one, we got to try out lenses that we did not own and could make our own judgements.

For example: I was contemplating getting the 75mm Summarit, but after having used it and the 90mm Summarit, I have elected to get the latter (eventually). I also got to use the Noctilux which is an amazing piece of glass, but not without its quirks and idiosyncrasies. It also weighs about as much as my M8. Still, it's not everyday you get to play with a $6000 lens. I will stick with my CV 40mm Nokton.

I also got to compare my Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 Biogon to 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit and I have to say I prefer the way my Biogon renders.

David had this wonderful little tripod that mounts in the standard place but folds up flat on the bottom of the camera. It's what helped him get those low POV/ long exposures that look amazing (not to mention the mad photo skillz at his command - his kung fu is way better than mine). I am so getting one of those.

Terry

David had this wonderful little tripod that mounts in the standard place but folds up flat on the bottom of the camera. It's what helped him get those low POV/ long exposures that look amazing (not to mention the mad photo skillz at his command - his kung fu is way better than mine). I am so getting one of those.
Was that the little Manfrotto metal one that is flat and folds up? Tried to pick one up in Carmel but Sean at Camera West hadn't gotten them in yet.

http://www.mobilecomputermag.co.uk/manfrotto-modo-pocket-mini-tripod.html

etrigan63

That's the ticket! David says he will be getting those in soon.

MobileComputing may have panned it for use on P&S cameras but it is perfect for an M8! David had a WATE mounted on his M8 and the Modo Mini Pod took it all in stride.

Oh, and here is one more from the workshop:

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I acutally plan on leaving it permanently attached to my M8. When I got the Modo Mini as a sample from Bogen, I didn't know if I'd ever use it. After trying it at our workshop, I'm a true believer. I'm just glad I still had it in my camera bag. Carlos, thanks for jump-starting my brain...

If you want to order it, do so on our website:

http://www.dalephotoanddigital.com/_e/Table_Top_and_Travel/product/719821278146/Manfrotto_MODO_Pocket_797_Foldable_Tripod.htm

I should have them very shortly.

David