The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Frame count on M9

aboudd

How does one determine the frame count on the M9. I shot an image this morning and saw some dirt in the sky. It looks like typical sensor dust, but as I have only taken about 20 shots with the camera, I was surprised. The dealer I bought the camera from told me it was fresh. I want to determine the frame count to make sure.

aboudd

Sensor cleaning on M9

The M9 manual does not give any specific instructions on cleaning the sensor, other than sending it to Leica to have it cleaned at a cost. Interesting isn't it. It says one can clean it oneself, but that is it. What is the best way to clean the M9 sensor?

How does one determine the frame count on the M9. I shot an image this morning and saw some dirt in the sky. It looks like typical sensor dust, but as I have only taken about 20 shots with the camera, I was surprised. The dealer I bought the camera from told me it was fresh. I want to determine the frame count to make sure.
To determine the frame count you have to look into the exif wit an appropriate SW.
If you have CS, just open Bridge and in the camera data exif section you will find the "Image Unique ID":is an exadecimal figure that you have to convert into decimal (http://www.easycalculation.com/hex-converter.php).
You may use CornerFIx to read the same data or if you are a Mac user open the last photo with "preview", then tools/show inspector/more info/exif.
The Image Unique ID is there, you have just to convert from hexacimal to decimal.
Many other exif viewers can do the same.
Dust may enter into the camera in any moment, even the first time you change a lens.
Cheers,
Ario
Ario

Re: Sensor cleaning on M9

The M9 manual does not give any specific instructions on cleaning the sensor, other than sending it to Leica to have it cleaned at a cost. Interesting isn't it. It says one can clean it oneself, but that is it. What is the best way to clean the M9 sensor?
You may start reading here about the available methods and tools to clean the sensor.
Then everybody has its own preferences based on experience and confidence.
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html
Cheers,
Ario

jonoslack

Hi There Aboudd
I've bought 5 digital leica's over the last few years, and every single one of them had a dirty sensor out of the box.
It may be a little oil from the new shutter, or just dust. You should expect it to get dirty for the first few hundred shots, cleaning it is a pain, but not too traumatic.
I use the 'visible dust' products for cleaning - they seem to work well.

Don't imagine that it's a used camera - they're always worst when they're new!
all the best
Congratulations and ENJOY!