The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Digital Rangefinder rumor

oc garza

This is probably nothing but on today's theonlinephotographer:

"The next major photo show in the U.S. is PMA 2010 (PMA is the Photo Marketing Association), February 23–25 at the Anaheim Convention Center, near Los Angeles. I keep hearing conflicting rumors about what the rumors are going to be, so I can't confirm whether any rumors you might have heard are actual rumors or not. Actually one rumor I've heard that won't seem to go away is that Nikon is preparing a digital M-mount rangefinder, with three manual-focus M-mount DX lenses including a 35mm-e ƒ/2. But it's a rumor."

sonomichele

Of course it's true. The rumor that is. I can unconditionally confirm that the rumor is in fact a real rumor. However I can't divulge my sources.

proenca

A Nikon Rangefinder ? Sporting a D3s sensor ? With Leica M mount ? Now that would be the day... I salivate. But it wont happen.

D&A

Actually lets assume the rumor is true and putting aside whether it has conventional or EVF etc...what I find of possible interest is the mear mention of it having DX lenses. Reason being if Nikon wants to get into the digital rangefinder game (aside from 4/3rds)...they would, I believe want to go after Nikon brand shooters to enter this near arena (new for them)..and a APS sized sensor would mean a lower dollar investment for all potential customers to do so, therefore a larger potential market. Also for Nikon, cost wise, it would be far less expensive to design a APS M mount rangefinder, as opposed to full frame, not to mention not having to design a sensor and lens line to deal with edge performance at full frame. Retail costs to the consumer for DX, would also be less expensive and Nikon is well versed in designing DX lenses, which are also easier to design faster lenses less costly lenses due to the crop factor. My point is, when the rumor mentioned DX lenses, it added just the slightest degree of credibility.

Dave (D&A)

V

Vivek

A new Nikon mount (not M) and a mirrorless cam with APS-C sensor would be my speculation.

The specs that would make me buy one are:

1. Metering and function with non Nikon lenses

2. Back illuminated sensor.

oc garza

I should have prefaced this thread with the fact that Mike - who runs theonlinephotographer - has a great sense of humor. And sonomichele you are right, it is prefectly true that this is a rumor, and in fact, that this rumor has been around for years :ROTFL:

s.agar

A Nikon Rangefinder ? Sporting a D3s sensor ? With Leica M mount ? Now that would be the day... I salivate. But it wont happen.
No way, not even in my dreams. The moment DX is mentioned, D3s is out, as well as M mount.. What remains is a Nikon camera, which we already have (or not, as in my case)

oc garza

Bust my britches... The other rumor on theonlinephotographer turned out to be true :eek:

"Another rumor is that Olympus is coming out with its pro-level Micro 4/3 camera, and it will be smaller than the E-P1/2. Or, maybe not; because you can't trust rumors."

Oops. Heavywinds is right, the new Oly is leaked! I am pleasantly surprised--it's a Pen (E-P1L): m4/3 EVIL, built-in flash, stabilized, accessory port (for EVF, microphones) and cheaper.

http://gizmodo.com/5462364/olympus-...des-inbuilt-flash-and-200-cheaper-price-point

Well, one out of two rumors ain't bad :D