The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

90 Summarit vs. 90 Elmarit (lastest) photos

harmsr

Workshop Member
Here are some comparison shots taken in the same spot as Guy's other Summarit shots. Pardon the subject, It is Guy and I was afraid that his image might break the lenses - However they did survive. :)

These are from the 90 Summarit and my 90 Elmarit latest version. Both lenses are coded and had Leica UV/IR filters. The UV/IR option was turned on and they were processed out at as small web jpegs in ACR with no adjustments.

The lenses are basically the same diameter in use and use the same 46 mm filter. The Summarit is about a 1/4" shorter than the Elmarit. The Elmarit comes with the built in extending hood that is very nice. The Summarit requires an extra externally screwed on hood.

Here is the first shot from the Summarit at 2.5. I'll do a separate post for each of the comparable apertures.

Last edited:

harmsr

Workshop Member
It may not be really evident for the quality in these web postings but look at Guy's eyes, hair, and the sewing on his right sleeve.

On the full size images when review on screen or printed on my Epson 3800 at 8x10 the differences are really evident.

The two lenses are similar in contrast and OOF rendering. The big difference is in the fine detail and textures. The Elmarit really won hands down in respect to fine details and textures rendered.

If anyone is interested, I can do some 100% crops that might show up better here.

Best,

Ray

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Man is that one ugly model, need to get some real models there fella. This guy needs to much work. LOL

altough with all those wrinkles pretty good for testing. ROTFLMAO

carstenw

I see some advantages for each lens in different places, but I can't see an overall advantage for the Elmarit here. It seems that they are not quite focused at the same place in each shot, making it hard to compare. Do you have any crops from f/2.8 and f/5.6?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Ray,
I would like to see a 100% crop that more clearly shows the difference that you are seeing. It is hard to see with compressed jpgs.

harmsr

Workshop Member
The summarit is a good value for the quality of lens that you get and a great way to start getting into a Leica M system. However, since I already own the Elmarit for a travel lens I will not be looking to trade for a Summarit. This is something that I had actually considered before shooting both side by side. The Summarit is a 1/2 stop faster which interested me, but I would be giving up IQ. I'll stay with the Elmarit.

Best,

Ray

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ray:

Just so we can see possible focus point differences, can you post similar crops from the top of Guy's vest and t-shirt around his neck area? This area is not so flat to the camera and should show us the actual DoF/PoF for each capture.

Thanks!

carstenw

The Summarit is consistently focused a tad further back. You see it both in the clothes (obvious) and in the hair on the side of the head vs. hair on the back of the neck. Given that the two lenses focus at slightly different depths, do you still think the Elmarit has a strong edge, or was it based on a quick comparison of the hair on the side of the head and the cloth near the shoulder?

harmsr

Workshop Member
Hi Carsten,

I agree with you on the focus points, although they were both focused on the same point when on the camera. Maybe the Summarit was just slightly back-focussing.

It is difficult to see the differences in these reduced quality jpegs on the web even at 100%, but yes I do believe that the Elmarit is really better. (This is based on looking at the RAW files on my monitor and prints from the 3800.)

Taking into account the slightly different focus, the Elmarit still provides more fine detail and texture at the point of best focus for both lenses.

Maybe Guy will also chime in with his opinion, when he gets back from Flagstaff. He also had the opportunity to see the full size DNGs on his monitor.

Best,

Ray

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ray:

Thanks for posting those second crops! It does show the Summarit was focused slightly behind the Elmarit. Even so, I would agree with your assesment just looking at these web jpegs: there seems to be a bit more detail at the focus plane with the Elmar. Frankly though, the Summarit looks quite good and pretty close to the Elmarit... I'll take your word on prints and raws, but for somebody looking for a new lens, it appears the Summarit at half a stop faster certainly seems it warrants some consideration...

How do they compare size-wise?

harmsr

Workshop Member
Hi Jack,

I agree with you, if I did not already have the Elmarit the Summarit is an attractive value for a travel lens.

Relative to size, they are basically the same diameter and both are 46mm filter size. The Summarit is about a 1/4" shorter than the Elmarit. The disadvantage of the Summarit is that it requires a screw on exterior hood as a separate piece, while the Elmarit has the integral slide out hood.

Best,

Ray