The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone shooting M9 & 24 'lux?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I've been rationalizing my M9 outfit down to a more manageable travel outfit and have settled on 35 'lux, 50 'lux and 90 Elmarit-M. Now I just need to decide on the wide angle option. I like the idea and convenience of having 'lux's across the board and I've found an opportunity to get a 24 'lux at an almost 'reasonable' price, but before I act on it I'm curious as to other's experience with this lens on the M9.

I've been using the 24 Elmarit-M to date with the M9, and I'm happy with the focal length and distribution of lengths with my other lenses. Are there any things to watch out for with the 'lux though? Any red edge issues? Softness/corner issues which don't show up with the M8? I'm not bothered by the physical size of the lens particularly but I am curious about the 'feel' of the lens for focusing. Is the lack of a focus tab significant compared to other non-tabbed lenses such as the Noctilux etc?

Hacker

The Elmarit seems to come up best when LFI did a test with 7 lenses. I've seen people saying that the Lux is sharp at the edges, but this is relative. When you do an A-B comparison, you can tell the difference. The Elmarit and Elmar is sharper at the edges. I've not seen any red issues, but I believe it occurs only under some circumstances. My three 24mm ASPH lenses with the M9:

I've been rationalizing my M9 outfit down to a more manageable travel outfit and have settled on 35 'lux, 50 'lux and 90 Elmarit-M. Now I just need to decide on the wide angle option. I like the idea and convenience of having 'lux's across the board and I've found an opportunity to get a 24 'lux at an almost 'reasonable' price, but before I act on it I'm curious as to other's experience with this lens on the M9.

I've been using the 24 Elmarit-M to date with the M9, and I'm happy with the focal length and distribution of lengths with my other lenses. Are there any things to watch out for with the 'lux though? Any red edge issues? Softness/corner issues which don't show up with the M8? I'm not bothered by the physical size of the lens particularly but I am curious about the 'feel' of the lens for focusing. Is the lack of a focus tab significant compared to other non-tabbed lenses such as the Noctilux etc?
Hi Graham- Having gone through just this decision tree recently, here's my take. I also have the 24 elmarit and it's simply a great lens, as you know, as well as the 35, 50, and 90 versions you have. In deciding on what lens would be my widest, I did consider selling my elamarit and going with the lux but rejected it because I like the elmarit, and that I also have a 28 cron which I feel is similar enough to a 24/1.4. Also, the brilliance and edge sharpness of the elamrit is a look I want available to me. I also considered a WATE which seems to love the M9, but I do a lot of very low light work and F4 won't work well for me. So, I went for the 21 lux. It fills a gap, allows very low light work, and has proven, so far, to be a great lens, as I know the 24 lux is. Great to have so many wonderful choices, good luck with yours! best...Peter

Last edited:
By the way, where do I go to get LFI magazine, and in particular the review of the wide lenses? I just can't seem to find it! best....Peter

GrahamWelland

Peter & Hacker, thank you for the very helpful insights. Hacker: I thought I was a lens slut but you humble me with 3 x 24's (my current madness is 50 'cron, lux & Nocti - soon very soon to be just 'lux).

I have also been considering the various 21 offerings (& WATE) too ... Choices, choices!! :rolleyes:

Graham- We really have a lot in common. I too have those 3 50s, the cron being "rigid" the nocti the last pre-asph. I won't be cutting back to one cause I use them all and cause I was lucky enough to get all of them at a fraction of current prices before the M8 was out. In fact the the 21 lux is the only lens I've really splurged on.

Last edited:

dseelig

I have the 24 lux and love it on the m9 . Only thing that bothers me is that leica does not have a uv filter for it out yet. I have shot the 25 zeiss and great lens but if you need 1.4 this is a great lens.

TimWright

I have the 24 lux and love it on the m9 . Only thing that bothers me is that leica does not have a uv filter for it out yet. I have shot the 25 zeiss and great lens but if you need 1.4 this is a great lens.
Don't know why you say that as I have a Leica series 7 UV filter on mine and have had it since I got my M9 back is september.

m_driscoll

Graham: It's a great lens. I just traded in a 21 and 24 Elmarit for a 24 Lux. I would have liked to have them all! Nothing bad to say about the 24 Lux. It focuses easy (solid) and I'm comfortable shooting without a viewfinder (don't particularly like viewfinders). No Series 7 Leica UV when I bought it; so, I'm using a UV/IR. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenbfolio.com

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I shoot with the 24 Lux and absolutely love it on the M9. The size, while bigger than most M lenses, balances well on the camera. I love having creative DOF control on a wide-angle lens, as well as low light ability.

David

Alnitak

Peter & Hacker, thank you for the very helpful insights. Hacker: I thought I was a lens slut but you humble me with 3 x 24's (my current madness is 50 'cron, lux & Nocti - soon very soon to be just 'lux).

I have also been considering the various 21 offerings (& WATE) too ... Choices, choices!! :rolleyes:
Hehe! Funny term: "lens slut." I have the same weakness. In fact, PM me when you are ready to sell that 50 'cron as I have been thinking of picking up that lens to join my 50 'lux and 50 Noctilux.

I have the WATE and 21 Elmarit ASPH, and if my wife wouldn't divorce me as a result, I would be buying the 21 'lux now. :ROTFL:

Jeff

GrahamWelland

My new 24 'lux is on order and now I'm just waiting for it to arrive. The Noctilux and some other stuff sold within a day on consignment at PopFlash - Huge recommendation for those folks btw! My 'cron came back from coding at Leica today and I'd already sold it to my buddy back in the UK (fellow Leica slut who snagged my 24 Elmarit-M too).

So now, it's just a waiting game ... :sleep006:

Paratom

I so exchanged my 24 Elmarit with a 24Lux and really like it a lot.
At f1.4 with shallow DOF its a totally different look.
Also 2 steps of speed allows to shoot images which are not possible with an 2.8 lens.
Its a little bit on the heavy side but handles nice.

Hacker

By the way, where do I go to get LFI magazine, and in particular the review of the wide lenses? I just can't seem to find it! best....Peter
LFI July 5/2009 ran a test of the 7 wide angle lenses: "Wide Angle: Overview. The M Focal Lengths 16 to 24mm". It was tested with the M8 and M7.

Hope this helps.

Hacker

Graham: It's a great lens. I just traded in a 21 and 24 Elmarit for a 24 Lux. I would have liked to have them all! Nothing bad to say about the 24 Lux. It focuses easy (solid) and I'm comfortable shooting without a viewfinder (don't particularly like viewfinders). No Series 7 Leica UV when I bought it; so, I'm using a UV/IR. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenbfolio.com
I prefer the B+W filters with MRC and am using them for the 24 Lux (Series VII) and Nikkor 2.5cm (Series VI), but cannot seem to get hold of a Series VIII for the 21 Lux.