The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help-Lens coder kit does not work

Scargos2

I purchased the d-coder kit and have tried a lot to get the camera to recognize
the lens. I have the recognize lens IR on . Using a Sharpie pen to mark the lines or dots on the lens using the decoder. I have it with the right side up.
I tried 3 different lens and not one will work. 50mm, 35mm 90mm
Have anyone else have this problem.
Thank
Rick

cap'n bill

Have you checked the coder template against the camera mount?. If the detent slot and code reader diodes don't line up it can't work. this was the situation with one template I downloaded.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I had the slight offset problem with the one I got originally (blue). I found I had to offset it slightly for an accurate registration. You can only really check with a coded lens.

Something else to watch out for is that the mounts bring up the correct framelines because they are used alongside the code. This was a problem for some of the ZM lines (21 certainly).

Scargos2

I tried over and over. will not work.
Checked by records and I purchased for you Bradhusik.
How did you find the decoder to work?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
:thumbs: For the Bo Coder too. I liked mine so much, I saved up and bought a second. No registration issues whatsoever.

Thanks again Bo! :salute:

tom in mpls

I have the Bo Coder, for $5, it is excellent! I highly recommend it
A note from Bo:

"M9 UPDATE: Just got my M9, clearly something have changed, my coded lenses which works just fine with the M8 mostly did not work with the M9... until I socked on a bunch more ink. they must have changed the sensor to require more contrast, as a single layer of sharpie don't seem to do the trick anymore. this will be a easy fix on the new grooved lenses, I'm heading out in town for black model airplane enamel.. on my 15mm I have a coding strip and this worked, but the same strip on the CV 35 1.4 did not work, probably because it was a bit more worn, I updated it with a fresh one and now that lens also works.

Conclusion... soak on more ink, paint or whatever you are using for black. The M9 have a more picky sensor, I'm almost wondering if they did this new calibration to bug people doing sharpie codes."

Scargos2

Coded My 90,35 with a little work to figure it out, but My 50 I worked on it for three days to get to work. What a pain in the ----

Alnitak

I can confirm what Bo wrote; the M9 is much more finicky than the M8 with manual coding. It's been a bear to get them to work as I would like on the M9 when they worked fine on the M8.

Jeff

tom in mpls

90 Elmarit coded with Match coder; the process took perhaps a minute and my M9 recognized the lens. This is a slick system as the plastic template snaps firmly into place on the lens mount making accurate placement of the marks a breeze.