The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X1

Godfrey

I'm content with the gear I have, but I like the idea and love the design of the Leica X1. So I'm going to track this conversation and listen to what people think once they actually use the little beast to do photography.

If it can become transparent in use and not get in the way, it would be an interesting, even lighter weight camera option for a certain range of my work.

Terry

It is not too small.
In addition, the buttons on the left side are natural to me because my thumb rests along there so WB and ISO are very well located. There is nothing you really need the menus for (other than inital set up).

roanjoh

I had the Sigma DP1 once which gave absolutely stunning image quality, however, the slowness of the camera (mostly AF) really turned off. It also had an awful awful pop-up flash performance. In the end, the whole set-up was too limiting for me and it didn't give me that natural extension when taking photos. As much as I liked the weight and image quality, it was soon voted off the island after 3 months of use. I hope the Leica X1 will not run in this same route.

T

terryc

To my knowledge we have no one on a waiting list for the X1, and we've had them on order since 9/9. I wonder how many they will ship us.
It would seem North America (Canada and USA) are last on the ship to list for Leica. I am curious as to why most of the rest of the known world has got them but not NA dealers. Such is life these days, perhaps something to do with the sagging Euro or the US dollar!

Can you let us know when you get them - I just maybe a candidate (if you are willing to ship to Vancouver Canada)...

Best to all. Terry

monza

Yes, I ship everywhere. :)

Our rep was chastised by the US Leica brass for making a statement that X1s would not be available til February. As it is, it looks like perhaps they won't be 'really' actually available in North America til March.

monza

Leica USA is currently backordered over 4500 M9s. The question is, will they be able to allocate production resources to X1 and S2? They can only build a few M9s a day (~100) to fill worldwide demand...

I look forward to your review Terry. I have already committed to getting the X1 based on my short time handling it at PhotoPlus and seeing the 20"x30" prints of photos that Christian took in Seattle. I just hope the camera's slowness doesn't drive me nuts - I am not the most patient person. The X1's small size, high ISO performance, and image quality are a set of qualities I have been wanting in a camera for a long time.

jpmac55

To my knowledge we have no one on a waiting list for the X1, and we've had them on order since 9/9. I wonder how many they will ship us.
Hey Monza, will your shop offer a wait list for the X1? I certainly wouldn't mind being first on it. :D

Terry

Not too much from today....busy at work. Just getting myself acquainted, it will probably be more like the weekend when I can start posting real stuff and give real life feedback.

Eva - ISO 125 (auto ISO) f2.8 1/30

After work I was losing the light - fast. Stopped at the marina. Obviously very mixed lighting and nothing artistic trying to get a feel for how the camera renders.

ISO 100 f2.8 1/3 camera resting on a rail.

Wanted to see this at f8.0 ISO 800 1/2 second

Also wanted to see what happened if I intentially threw it out of focus f3.2

Facing the other direction without mixed light.
ISO 800 f8.0 2.5 seconds

Last edited:

roanjoh

Terry - absolutely gorgeous shots!!! That is plenty sharp even at 2.8 (I'm assuming that is wide open). Color look vibrant and ISO 800 looks clean. They might have a winner here in terms of image quality. Now waiting to hear from you regarding handling and speed.

Thanks!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Damn why did i let leica send it to you instead of me to do the review. LOL

Damn they look great, nice work. You just might have to let me play we with it at Salton Sea. Just for a minute i promise. LOL

Terry will also be providing Leica with some images as well so do look for them coming. And look for her review right here on GetDPI.

T

terryc

Hi folks,

I got an X1 today - battery is charging as I write this. The packaging is truly amazing. So Leica did manage to get them out before March after all.

Can hardly wait to take it out for a spin.

Best to all. Terry C.

T

terryc

Hi Terry,

Thank you for posting those GREAT images. Have fun! I know I am going to.

Cheers, Terry C.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thank you for posting those GREAT images. Have fun! I know I am going to.

Cheers, Terry C.
Congrats Terry - is yours from a US or Canadian dealer?
Please post your images here as well.

The files look great on my computer. Wasn't wild about a couple of skin tones on LR3 but Aperture also added support today so I will try the same file there as well. Some of it is probably WB setting.

With the ISO being good so high I do have an auto ISO suggestion for Leica. Currently, the fastest shutter allowed (where the camera will boost up ISO) is 1/30. I would like it to go higher. In some shooting situations, I don't mind going high into the ISO range but want to make sure I stop the subject movement. A 1/60 or 1/125 option would be really useful. Also, Auto ISO in manual mode would be useful. Right now it seems to default to ISO 800 and shows you how over/under exposed you will be. Let me know if you figure out anything different with Auto ISO in manual mode (neither dial set to A).

The metering seems very good.

Be curious to see your thoughts between the jpegs/raws. I have everything at standard and am liking the jpeg colors so far. I don't usually even shoot jpegs but Leica obvioulsly wants us to.

The focus is definitely slower than the uber speedy G1/GH1/GF1. What I need to work out some more is shutter lag. There seems to be a bit more than comfortable. Sean Reid has written about setting up the camera to minimize. I need to go back and reread his review.

It is very nicely made!

T

terryc

Hi Terry,

I got it from a Canadian dealer in Vancouver Canada. It just maybe the only X1 among the area Leica dealers the way I hear it.

I couldn't resist and put the battery in. I have noticed that shooting DNG+JPG brings up the DATA TRANSFER box while it writes and you have to wait until it finishes - a firmware upgrade might be to allow DNG only files - that said I like what I am seeing from the Super Fine JPGS.

It is feels like a like Leica and reminds of the early pre-rangefinder Leica's of years gone by.

From a speed perspective the AF is no match for the GF1 but it is NOT all the far off the Pen. More important the manual focus set-up is very usable as (hyper focal) I would be interested in your view of the manual focus and usability in hyper focal mode.

Cheers. Terry.