The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Luigi's M-Mate 2 replacement base plate for M8/M9

tom in mpls

It's awfully expensive for what it is, but I do like the idea of easier access to battery compartment. Anyone here use it? I'm worried that it might be too flimsy and break, especially the hinges on the doors, or that it will not do a good job of keeping dust out.

Link to eBay listing.

bradhusick

I have one that I bought directly from Luigi at his apartment in Rome. Mine's black. It's very well made and fits perfectly. I showed it to Tim Isaac (maker of the Thumbs-Up) and he was very impressed too. The door hinges are sturdy - just don't bend the doors back beyond their design. It lives on my M9.

monza

I designed the original M-Mate which Luigi acquired a couple of years ago, but I haven't seen his derivative design yet. Manufacturing costs are quiet high in Italy but I haven't been able to convince him to build it elsewhere. I wouldn't worry about dust, unless you are shooting in a dust storm in the Sahara, in which case the unsealed M8/M9 isn't really a good choice anyway. :)

tom in mpls

Yes, he will carefully cut and stitch holes for both doors, but I think that makes the case look, um, not so good. I think this is a case where esthetics trumps function.

oc garza

Back to the bottom plate itself, it works very well. It does exactly what is is suppose to do. I have had mine for about four weeks and it works with both the M8/M9. It is a bit sharper on the front edge than the Leica bottom plates but nothing objectionable.

Being able to switch batteries and cards without taking the damn bottom plate off speeds things up and eliminates having to handle the bottom plate.

D

disambiguated

Being able to switch batteries and cards without taking the damn bottom plate off speeds things up and eliminates having to handle the bottom plate.
The problem for me is that I use/depend upon the Leica grip (my Luigi case is customized to accommodate it); if Luigi made an M-Mate 3 w/grip, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, and send my half-case back so that I can pay him to punch a couple of holes in it.

;>

S

supremewyss

after several email with luigi, i have a chance to buy a M-mate 2 with 2 modified cases(improved) with free shipping and 10EURO discount(which is nothing LOL)

just wonder if u will be interested in trying this new design of "Croco-like embossed" black case with 2 "improved" doors which is made by stackz of leather and u can simply open and close when u needa change your SD care and battery. when the door is closed, it looks just like a perfect half case as normal.

i have order 2 mate2 + 2 cases. u can pick any of them if u like.
pricing is same as the web with free shipping (if under 30USD) =D however 4% charge of Paypal is needed as i paid luigi as well.

PHOTO will be posted when i recieve my shipment from luigi

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
We do have a FS section , please use that if you have items that you are trying to sell. Forum threads are not a place to be selling items. Thanks

Also according to the rules do not use the PM system either for such activity unless you are directly asked for product info. Please read the rules, we do abide by them.

Jerry_R

I also have it. I like it, only sometimes it is not easy to operate with bigger hands, but anyway I am managing using it, and for sure is easier than taking oryginal plate off and on each time.

Hacker

It can be difficult to take the SD card out at times. The leather is very thick and you need long finger nails.