The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 - Format a SDHC Card

John Black

I bought a new Sandisk 8 GB SDHC Ultra card from B&H for a whopping $29. I put it in the M9, selected format, chose the "YES" option (instead of "Overwrite") and the card formatted in under a minute. It eems fine. I've read here about people using 32 Fat formatting. I have Mac's (running 10.6.2 if that matters) and within Apple Disk Utility Tool there is not that exact option, so

1) Does any of this added formatting matter?

2) If so, will the MS DOS Fat option work (I think that's 16, not 32)

Thanks.

Don Libby

Hi John, I've been using a Sandisk Ultra II 16GB card with no problems. This is a card I had been using in a Canon right after getting the M9 I reformatted using the "Yes" function and it took lest than 60 seconds. I did however make the mistake of "Overwrite" once and it was so slow I could watch paint dry or hair grow.

I'm on a PC however only use the in-camera format function.

Don

D&A

Just curious...after formating or while using a card with the M9....has anyone seen the message (occasionally) that reads something like "wait, retrieving data or info"..or something like that when first turning on the camera? I ask as I've seen this with a few brands of cards with the
M9, especially cards of 4gb and larger. It may be the architecture of certain cards whereby the readout of data from card to camera may be a bit slow and so the camera has to retrieve the info from whats on the card when first turned on...just a guess. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

John Black

So "overwrite" is the long format process... oooh... I thought "overwrite" was the short format process and simply removed the file headers/trailers and then the next saved file(s) just overwrite over the old files. I guess that is actually the "Yes" option which I've been using. No wonder formatting has been so quick. I never tried the overwrite option.

Dave - I have not seen that message. Thus far I have used a Sandisk 2 GB Extreme III and now the Sandisk 8 GB Ultra.

Don Libby

Just curious...after formating or while using a card with the M9....has anyone seen the message (occasionally) that reads something like "wait, retrieving data or info"..or something like that when first turning on the camera? I ask as I've seen this with a few brands of cards with the
M9, especially cards of 4gb and larger. It may be the architecture of certain cards whereby the readout of data from card to camera may be a bit slow and so the camera has to retrieve the info from whats on the card when first turned on...just a guess. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

No problems so far with the 16GB card

Don Libby

So "overwrite" is the long format process... oooh... I thought "overwrite" was the short format process and simply removed the file headers/trailers and then the next saved file(s) just overwrite over the old files. I guess that is actually the "Yes" option which I've been using. No wonder formatting has been so quick. I never tried the overwrite option.
John - only use the overwrite when you have the time to read a book :D

jaapv

Subscriber Member

Dave (D&A)
Only if you hit the play button a bit too soon for the camera. It should be a lot better once we get the new firmware, hopefully in a couple of weeks or thereabouts.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
It sounds like the "Format" is just re-writing the FIT (Which I don't consider a true format) while the "Reformat" is a true format and overwrites the actual data (a good thing in my view).

D&A

Hi All,

Regarding my original post "above" ..I think my description of what I've seen with the M9, may have been mis-understood. With certain cards and certain brands of class 6 SDHc cards...4GB and larger....I've seen where a message comes on the LCD screen to "wait, data is being read" (or something like that) just as soon as the M9 is turned on. The card can have images on it already or not. I'm surprised no one else has seen this message when turning on the camera with certain cards. It's the second M9 I've seen this with, but no other...except in the situation Jaap described. I understand a firmware upgrade may increase how fast the camera reads data off the card...but I'm surprised no one has seen this (as described). Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

charlesphoto

Hi All,

Regarding my original post "above" ..I think my description of what I've seen with the M9, may have been mis-understood. With certain cards and certain brands of class 6 SDHc cards...4GB and larger....I've seen where a message comes on the LCD screen to "wait, data is being read" (or something like that) just as soon as the M9 is turned on. The card can have images on it already or not. I'm surprised no one else has seen this message when turning on the camera with certain cards. It's the second M9 I've seen this with, but no other...except in the situation Jaap described. I understand a firmware upgrade may increase how fast the camera reads data off the card...but I'm surprised no one has seen this (as described). Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
I get this all the time with mine. I think it's normal.

D&A

Hi Charles....I assumed it was normal too when it's seen exactly under the conditions I described. Yet it appears some (maybe depending what brand and kind of SDHC card they use)..that never seem to get this messge (except when trying to zoom too quickly after getting the shot.

In the cases I've come accross this message, its most often when the camera is first turned on...especially when the card already has quite a few images on it. Still hard to believe most everyone else doesn't get this message. I still think it has more to do with how the cards achitecture is designed, rather than size or speed of the card. Just my guess.

Dave (D&A)