The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

i'll be damned...

irakly

today i found my old russian 2/85 and decided to test it against the second version 2/90 summicron. no, try to figure out which one is which. in this age of tanking dollar isn't it comforting to now what sixty bucks can still buy? :)
both pictures shot at f/2 and cropped to a square keeping vertical aspect intact. M8, iso640

D

DougDolde

I'm gonna guess the first one is the Russian lens. The skin looks much smoother in the second shot.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would have to agree. I have 3 Russian lenses here and frankly there all garbage but they were cheap but focusing them is a bear

Peter Klein

The point is that the image quality is very close. Amazingly close, considering the price difference. I assume that the Russian lens is a Jupiter-9--a Zeiss Sonnar copy. Irakly, if you've got one that focuses accurately on a Leica, you're a lucky guy. They are wonderful lenses if they focus properly, but many don't. I tried a couple, but gave up.

I'm going to take a chance and guess that the Summicron is the first and the Jupiter-9 is the second. I'm doing this strictly on the basis of the background, which is a little harsher in the second shot. But the two backgrounds are not the same, so I could be wrong.

I recently found a humble Jupiter-8 (50/2) that focuses properly on my M8. I use it occasionally when I want a Sonnar look.

--Peter

irakly

guy, most likely you have the newer ones. i mean, from 1980-s. lenses from 1950-1960 are much much better. that is when they still had german parts and tools.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Funny I have 3 Russian lenses here and they are really low cost like 15 dollars each but i actually have one that does focus a Jupiter 8 50mm f2, they others are like focusing a rock the size of a house. I bolted it on the M8 once at it was pretty interesting . i may need to play with it more

Peter Klein

Interesting. The two Jupiter 9's I tried were both late 1950s lenses. Neither focused properly. I have a Jupiter 8 from 1962 that focuses on my Zorki 4, but not on a Leica.

My other J-8 focuses beautifully on my M8. I think it was made for export--the front ring is in Latin alphabet, not Cyrillic, and the serial number does not reveal the year it was made. A friend who knows such things says it's late 50s or early 60s. It's one of the more "primitive" ones where the entire lens rotates as you focus. Who cares?--it works.

I like to use the old lenses sometimes--they are like time machines. The "look" goes further back in time the wider you open up the lens.

--Peter

irakly

jupiter-3 is the most interesting. i have it somewhere, just gotta look for it. mine was early production, hand-picked, and it is indistinguishable from 1.5/50 sonnar, which is essentially the same lens.

Peter Klein

Here's what I mean about the "time machine" effect. This is on color neg film, Jupiter-8 50/2, probably at f/2.8, on a Zorki 4. I only shot two rolls of film in the camera, after which I decided I wouldn't be using it much. But I liked the lens, so I looked for one that would work with my Leicas.

Irakly, you should try a Leitz Summitar wide-open some time. It does some very beautiful pastel things with color, and has very dreamy out-of-focus effects. Almost the photographic equivalent of the music of Debussy.

--Peter

Last edited:

helenhill

Peter
What a Sweeeet shot....Lovely

can you post some shots w/your summitar /PLEASE
Many Thanx.... if you see this Post
Cheers-H :)

Peter Klein

Helen: I just saw your question. This might be a Summitar shot, but I'm not 100% sure.
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/oldpics/newengfall3.htm

I sold my Summitar in 1983, so I would have to find and scan an old slide to post a "people" shot that has the effect I was talking about. I don't know where it is... :D

Here is a 1:1 crop of the top right third of the above shot, maybe this will tell you what you want to know. It's a scan of a Kodachrome 64 slide. It was taken in southern New Hampshire, probably on my old IIIf (also sold years ago), with the Summitar at f/4-ish. Deep shade, ISO 64, so the shutter probably was fairly slow, too. "Into the Woods..."

--Peter

Last edited:

4season

For some reason, #2 looks noisier, though that does't really detract from the photo. I prefer the tonality of #2 also.