The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is "micro-contrast"?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Work has kept me tied to my computer for a couple straight weeks so I haven't had a lot of opportunity for shooting with my new 75 Lux. However, I do carry it around the yard when taking the dog out for her relief. I take endless pictures of her and the view from my back porch (which I won't bore you with) and continue to see amazing things in the files. I'd like to understand what I'm seeing a little better.

One of the most impressive things about the M8 files is the amount of detail and apparent depth of information that stands up extremely well to aggressive processing (curve adjustments, sharpening, etc.). I have heard the term "micro-contrast" used but I'm not sure exactly what it means or what attribute of the lens or camera is responsible for it. Is it the glass itself? The coatings? The arrangement of the elements? Lack of a thicker AA filter on the sensor? All of the above?

There's an entire universe of information about lenses that I haven't grasped as yet. I may never fully comprehend the intricacies of lens design. But I am curious about this aspect.

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Tim

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Excellent! Thanks CMB.

That does a fine job of explaining the concepts of macro and micro contrast. What's missing is the underlying reason, from a manufacturing standpoint, that the Leica glass seems to perform so well.

This is old stuff for many of you I'm sure, thanks for your patience.

robsteve

Subscriber
I think the better quality from Leica lenses comes from not only better manufacturing, but they also start with better designs. Mr Puts refers to the two working hand in hand. In other words, to have better lens designs needs tighter tolerances in manufacturing to achieve the image quality the better designs are capable of.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks robsteve. I'm thinking I should know a little more about Herr Puts. His name gets mentioned a lot.

robsteve

Subscriber
Mr Puts web site is at the link below. He also has a book that is quite detailed about leica lenses and lens design called "he Leica Lens Compendium" It was printed by Hove books, but is also available as a download at the site below.

http://www.imx.nl/photo/