The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I am just about ready to sell all my Leica gear

durrIII

I just cannot focus anymore! I am hoping it is the equipment instead of me, but I won't bet on it. Luckily i got a 2 year warranty with the M8. My M6 ttl just sits in my bag waiting. The 50 Lux is impossible to focus and the 35 Cron is not much better. I will decide soon.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If this is indeed true you can salvage a couple of lenses with the live focus on m43....I can focus my 50 Nokton 1.1 perfectly with the 9x magnification zoom out to normal and recompose about as fast as I could with the Leica.

Very decent file size with gorgeous color and WB near perfect on my E-P1...beats my old M8.

Just a thought.

Bob

bensonga

Hi Durr,

+1 to Bob's recommendation. You can pick up a used G1 here pretty often (usually for less than $400). Add a m43 to Leica M adapter and you're all set.

I really like using my manual focus Nikkor AIS and Leica R lenses on my G1.

Gary

That can be very frustrating. You may want to consider sending your M8 and lenses to DAG for calibration before you toss in the towel. I can be quite liberating to get your kit back functioning as you expect.

Paratom

I recommend to check if you lenses or camera need adjustment. I had many Leica lenses which would not focus correctly (even new ones) and after sending them in (best thing togewther with your camera) the problem got solved.
I know it needs patience but I would really make sure that it is not a calibration problem before giving up.

Reynolds

Workshop Member
I really second (or, third) the idea of sending your gear to Don Goldberg (DAG)...I send my M9, WATE, 50 Lux and 90 Chron to him with terrible focusing issues. They came back perfectly tuned. What a difference!! I have a bad astigmatism in my right eye leaving only the left for photography. Now, if I can just stop shaking the camera...all set!!

Reynolds

Workshop Member
I have to use it all, +1 diopter, 1.4 magnifier...everything I can get on there to see to focus. Thanks to Don, it's better now!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I would bet you have both problems . Normally if its the equipment you will get a consistent front or back focus comment....but if you can t see then you have to start there.

A diopter should be first. Keep in mind that a diopter corrects for your vision at 2M not at reading glass distance. I use a 1.5 for my computer screen and a 1.0 for the M s . The std finder is a -0.5 so I am really using +0.5 . I went to Photo Village in NYC and we got it on the first try. I got the same results by using the reading glasses at the pharmacy and looking at a target 2M out.

Next try a magnifier ..the 1.25X is a good all around starting point . Put a newspaper at minimum focusing distance ..can you read the text ?

Once you can see you can use books on a shelf, bottles etc and test your focus. Its better if the target is at eye level. I used small shampoo bottles from the hotel. Lined up in a row ..focus on the middle one. Repeat several times ..if they are all similar its the camera/lens ..if not its the eyes.

GMB

I was very frustrated with my focusing, in particular close distance wide open- Too little keepers-

Having read this thread, I went to the optometrist today and tested vision at 2m (the rangefinder gives the view at that distant. I needed +0.5. Next I went to my Leica dealer who had a +1.0 diopter which he gave me for testing. Tried it out this afternoon together with 1.25 magnifier that I already owned and so far I am very, very, very happy. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

I should add that I am what we would call a blind fish. I am miop (-9.5 on one eye and -6 on the other) with a pretty strong astigmatism, which I correct with contacts, and I am useless without my reading glasses. But I love the manual focus of the M and would hate to have to switch to autofocus.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes folks with strong astigmatism can focus better with the camera held vertically than they can when it is held horizontally.
That was the case with me, but I found that too annoying to do.
But I STILL want an M9 darn!
-bob