The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I have been loaned an X1 - First shot..

A member of another forum read my post regarding me trying to get my hands on an X1 to try it out and offered to loan me his for the weekend. Charming fellow, wouldn't let me pay for lunch either.

This is the first photo I have brought into post so far... just wanted to share it. Post consisted of Levels, dodge, burn, cyan cast from shaded lighting was adjusted, re-size and sharpening. I'll have my impressions of the X1 and photos on my website in the near future. Heading out again for my final day with the X1 today.

:thumbup: I will say this.. the Dynamic Range of the X1 and high ISO capabilities are very good. Better than my GF1 (which was expected due to the X1 sensor size and its maker). I found images across the entire range of ISO settings to be usable.

oc garza

What a start :bugeyes: Look forward to your impressions and images on the x1.

Jim, you have some wonderful images on your site... most impressive.

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jim,

I hear the Siren's call.....X1 X1 X1!

Very nice capture....where in Grapevine? I want to play with that pump.

Bob

Terry

I look forward to seeing what you think. I posted some more shots (none works of art) this AM to show some of what the camera can do.

I spent the weekend running all over the place, day and night, trying to get a wide variety of subjects and lighting. I hate it when I have to revisit places I have already been to but that is what I had to do... not a lot going on in Dallas this past weekend.

I just came back from returning the camera to its owner.. now I don't fear it being stolen or me dropping it, etc.

I'm still going through the images and will post about 40 to 50 of them very soon on my website at: http://www.boxedlight.com

I will also give the good and bad on the X1 from my perspective.... that "my perspective" is important to remember as we all have different expectations.

So that no one jumps the gun on what I will say.. my feelings are overall positive on the X1.... but I will not buy one. Details soon.

ashwinrao1

Very helpful, Jim. I am feeling similarly to you regarding the X1, but from no experience. Seems like a nice camera, nice lens, but not necessarily an addition to my shooting style. I am gonna give the Ricoh GRDIII a try...after reading many good things....

Jim,

Very nice capture....where in Grapevine? I want to play with that pump.

Bob
Bob, it's in front of Willhoites.. where all the bikers hang out... the shot is of the back of the pump.. the side facing the street is covered. Late afternoon sunlight is the best as is early morning sun.. it reflects a nice diffused light which helps to illuminate the interior of the pump head.

Jim

ustein

Contributing Editor
Very nice review and as usual excellent images. I just found the handling of the X1 too slow for my taste.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jim,

What a great review....and the pictures are up to your usual standard.

Thanks for the location information....I need to get there before the bikes pile up. Went out late Sunday after church and could not get within shooting distance due to the Chocolate festival and the wild crowds for Tommy the Train. And today rain...go figure.

By the way how about I put a GPS locator on you some weekend...about a hundred other shooting venues I need to discover. You have really pinpointed some great shots in a couple of days. Well done not that I expected anything less.

What a gift...I think it usually takes two or three days of concentrated shooting to come to a decision about a new camera or lens. Nice that you could take the tour without having to purchase the camera. I have had a lot of 'near hits' camera wise in my life. Like you I am waiting for a APS or larger small camera (like my G10 in size) that will have a couple of high quality prime and zoom lenses to cover all the bases. Oh well doubt it is that difficult to do.

Bob

PS. - When you are ready to take a shot at printing give me a call.:thumbup:

retow

Thank you, Jim, a great and balanced review and excellent pictures, as always.
Hope somebody is loaning you a Ricoh GRX with A12 module soon. A comparison of DP2, X1, and GXR A12 would be interesting. To me it looks as if quirky and a little dated DP2 still has a couple of things going for it, except high iso performance.

Diane B

Very good review Jim. I would agree on why you aren't buying it and why you would with interchangeable lenses-or something in the same vein. I like my m4/3rds quite a lot but would love a larger sensor and the whole idea of 4/3rds is the sensor size. It makes sense, I've accepted the compromise for the most part (didn't sell my 5D but did just sell quite a number of lenses I rarely use) but that's not saying I wouldn't be open to a system like the m4/3rds with a larger sensor--and keep it small and flexible. Is that possible in near future?? OTOH--there's the possibility that mfg. (Oly and Panny) can improve high ISO performance and DR and I would then be a happy camper just staying in the m4/3rds camp).

Glad you got to try it and esp. since you are shooting with m4/3rds and have shot with a FF for a good while--plus your background with Leica.

Diane

Jim, you gave a very good and accurate review of the X1. I really enjoyed your photos taken with the X1.

I have been very happy with the X1 and my only real grip is the shutter lag. Yes, the af could be faster, but I can deal with that by pre-focusing or manual focus. However, it is difficult to compensate for shutter lag. The camera's size and image quality are just what I have been wanting for a long while so I will accept the shutter lag until something better comes along (hopefully new firmware).

The X1's fixed focal length is a mixed blessing. I would have loved to have a 24-70mm equivalent zoom as a matter of convenience. However, I find the fixed focal length to be liberating in a way - it forces you to consider the framing, subject distance, and viewpoint in before even raising the camera for the photo. You learn pretty quickly what works and what doesn't.

Mark

Jim, you gave a very good and accurate review of the X1. I really enjoyed your photos taken with the X1.

I have been very happy with the X1 and my only real grip is the shutter lag. Yes, the af could be faster, but I can deal with that by pre-focusing or manual focus. However, it is difficult to compensate for shutter lag. The camera's size and image quality are just what I have been wanting for a long while so I will accept the shutter lag until something better comes along (hopefully new firmware).

The X1's fixed focal length is a mixed blessing. I would have loved to have a 24-70mm equivalent zoom as a matter of convenience. However, I find the fixed focal length to be liberating in a way - it forces you to consider the framing, subject distance, and viewpoint in before even raising the camera for the photo. You learn pretty quickly what works and what doesn't.

Mark
Shutter lag did get me a couple of times at the rodeo session but all in all, since I have been using the D-Lux 4 for a couple of years, I knew what to expect and tried to anticipate that short lapse.

Fixed focal length can be liberating and frustrating at the same time. I understand what you mean. The M8 was liberating in that same sense but I eventually knew I was missing shots or could not quite get the shot I wanted.

Again, the X1 is a very capable camera with extremely good high ISO functionality.. I am very impressed with it in that respect.

Terry

Mark -
I agree with you on shutter lag. It seems to take a long time from focus until shot is taken. There were times when I was in focus in time to get the shot but the second part of the delay got me messed up.

Mark -
I agree with you on shutter lag. It seems to take a long time from focus until shot is taken. There were times when I was in focus in time to get the shot but the second part of the delay got me messed up.
Yes, that is what happened to me during the rodeo. If there is action going on and you're trying to capture it the best thing to do is pre-focus and go to manual mode. The shutter lag can become a factor under those circumstances.

You hit the nail on the head Terry. Its that second part of the delay that messes me up most times - probably because I don't expect delay then whereas I am prepared for delay for focusing. I am very hopeful that some of the delay can be eliminated in future firmware releases.