The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ROM lens conversion

robsteve

Subscriber
I have been in Toronto for the past few days and took the opportunity to have Kindermann install ROM contacts on two of my lenses. They installed the ROM contacts on my 180mm APO Summicron and a 400mm APO-Telyt.

With the 400mm in three cam, the f2.8 Aperure misreads on the R8 and R9, showing f3.4 instead of 2.8 unless you have the lens fitted with ROM. With this lens, there was an added bonus of fitting ROM. With the ROM conversion, one of the cams that controls the aperture click stops is replaced. I now have a half stop between f2.8 and F4. In its original state the 400mm F2.8 did not have a half stop between f2.8 and f4. There were times when there was just enough light to close down half a stop, but the lens would not allow it. I now have that option.

Once again Kindermann has impressed me with their great service. I dropped off the two lenses yesterday and they were finished by the end of day.

Robert

Rob,
What did they charge for the conversion on the 400? Given that Leica NJ takes forever for this type of work... I'm thinking of sending mine in for the conversion.
Thanks,
Lawrence

robsteve

Subscriber
Rob,
What did they charge for the conversion on the 400? Given that Leica NJ takes forever for this type of work... I'm thinking of sending mine in for the conversion.
Thanks,
Lawrence
It was a flat rate of $299. The invoice had $220 for parts and $69 for labour. It looks like it is about what NJ was quoting, but in Canadian when the Canadian was not quite so strong.