The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24 mm Lux

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
My new 24mm Lux arrived on Monday. I got a chance to sample this lens on the Salton Sea workshop and fell in love with it. According to Guy it has mojo; according to Jack it rocks; according to me it has charisma - we're all saying the same thing. In this and the following posts I'm attaching a dozen or so images from yesterday in Boston and today (St. Patrick's day) in NY. I cycled back and forth between shooting hyperfocused at f11 - major comfort zone for me, and shooitng at f1.4 and ISO 80 - 1/4000 just barely handles sunny daylight. I did some perspective correction in PS and some (which I will identify) are stitches.

Here we go:

Brick wall -

It handles flare-provoking situations well:

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
More -

The lens renders colors slightly cool, but they are beautiful.

Here's a wide open. Not great art but it illustrates what is possible - it has real magic wide open.

Another postcard:

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
More

Back to wide open:

More street. This is one of the images that had its perspective corrected in PS. The lens has a bit of barrel distortion; it corrects perfectly with the lens correction filter in PS.

Two panel stitch with PTGui.

My favorite from the Boston shots - another brick wall:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
More -

The Guggenheim after the parade. I've been struggling with how to shoot this for some time - these are getting there. This is a three panel stitch using a spherical projection.

Two more Guggenheims - these are at f1.4

Finally, a telephone:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Welcome to the club :) Everything you say - and more :cool:
The initiation fee is a bit steep. I sold my TE, which is handy but doesn't have a lot of special character, and my 3.8 24mm, which went a long way toward covering the cost.

Note that the lens does show purple fringing at high contrast transitions. I haven't had a chance to explore the effect of f-stop on this - I've been have too much fun shooting to bother messing around with testing. I made up a pretty straightforward preset in LR to handle it by desaturating purple.

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Damn you, Woody, why did you have to go out and take some amazing shots that make this lens so lustworthy. It has been on my list for some time, and will remain so for a while longer.

I have a 24 elmarit coming my way, and I suspect it too may have some mojo! but that 24 lux is in a league of its own!:bugeyes:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Woody I use the CZ 25 finder with my 24/1.4. Its a trade off ...for closer distances its accurate enough and at distance I use it as a guide. I ve experimented with the 21CZ but when you need it closer its too wide. So I guess have a little extra beats cutting into the frame.

Paratom

Wood, great images, and I am also a great fan of that lens.
I use it with the Leica D-Lux viewfinder which works just fine for me.
Keep posting more images.
Tom

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Woody C1 CA control will correct the purple fringing wide open. I only saw it wide open but i also did not have a lot of time with the lens to see how far down it shows up. Congrats BTW this lens has it.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody C1 CA control will correct the purple fringing wide open. I only saw it wide open but i also did not have a lot of time with the lens to see how far down it shows up. Congrats BTW this lens has it.
Thanks Guy. This gives me another reason to use C1. I'll experiment with it later today and report back.

Beautiful stuff Woody! These wide luxes are just sensational lenses! As Guy says, C1 handles the purple fringing easily. Just check the purple fringing box in the lens correction page (only the "pro" version has this) and it's done. With my 21 lux which has the same issue, if I'm shooting in high contrast light, I just paste the correction into the entire set of images, without even checking to see if they all need it, I've seen no IQ cost to this. Enjoy the fine new tool and keep posting! best...Peter

D&A

Hi All,

Just trying to get a handle on one particular characteristic of either the 24 or 21mm Lux's. I've noticed in quite a few images posted with one of these lenses, that when shooting wide open and at fairly close range, in order to emphasize depth of field, that the OOF areas and bokeh appears jittery (nervous) at times. I haven't had a chance to actually shoot or work with files from these two lenses, so my comments only reflect posted images here and elsewhere. I also realize it's difficult to compare smooth bokeh's and OOF rendition of 35, 50 and 90mm fast lenses with ultra fast wide angles and that the OOF subject (background) plays a important role. It's that on quite a few occasions, I've noticed this jittery (nervous) bokeh in images taken with these two wide angle Lux's and wondering if this is just characteristics of these two lenses when shot under conditions as described.

Other than that, lots of lovely images Woody..keep them coming. I have often considered either the 24 or 21 Lux's...difficult choice between the two.

Dave (D&A)