The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24 mm Lux

gero

Very nice Woody.

Why doesent anybody talk about the viewfinder that Leica made for this and the 21?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I used the latest Leica brightline finder for the 24mm with my Elmarit and found it to be excellent in terms of brightness and relative distortion. The viewfinder size is nice in so far it isn't huge and so that's helpful if you need to put the camera in & out of a bag regularly with the finder attached.

One thing I didn't really like (other than the price) was the combined 24/32mm markings for full frame/1.33x crop. I found that distracting and with hindsight might have actually purchased the 18mm finder so that I had 18/24 markings and a bigger field of view to crop within. I also had the previous generation 24mm Leica finder (plastic vs metal) and that was actually excellent, although not as bright and somewhat more distorting than the current version. These can be found for $250 or so used and might be all you need. I didn't try the D-Lux viewfinder but that's also a more affordable alternative too.

When I moved from 24mm to the 21 'lux I decided not to purchase the Leica finder but instead went with the Zeiss 21mm VF. This has a very similar character to the Leica finder in that it is incredibly bright and very usable. You don't get that feeling of peering into a dark tube that some of the smaller finders give you. Whilst the Zeiss is superb optically, it is a bit bigger than the Leica finder so this might be a consideration. In terms of performance/$$ I think it's a much better deal.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Cafe Beignet on Rue Royal.

Woody, is that second shot Café Du Monde?

Excellent shots. This lens is looking really sweet.

I just recently got the 24mm f/1.4L Mark II myself (having wanted it forever) along with other L primes... And I'm sorely tempted to do the same. Don't get me wrong, I love my Canon gear. But it's so bulky and heavy and honestly, the bodies lately just don't do it for me anymore. I still have my 1D Mark IIn that I can't be bothered to upgrade. The only camera that might keep me in the ring is the 1Ds Mark IV (which is due out Any Time Now(TM) supposedly).

Paratom

Very nice Woody.

Why doesent anybody talk about the viewfinder that Leica made for this and the 21?
dont talk about it because it has the double price than the Leica D-Lux4 viewfinder but-as far as I know-the same optics.
I think the main difference is a little mor metal in the housing, however the D-Lux viewfinder is build solid as well.
So I dont really see the point to buy 200€ extra.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
+1! on this. I'm now using the D-lux finder and my framing accuracy has improved dramatically over using the 25mm CZ finder. The view is less appealing than the CZ, which is very wide, but the D-Lux finders more tunnel like view facilitates (for me) more accurate framing.

dont talk about it because it has the double price than the Leica D-Lux4 viewfinder but-as far as I know-the same optics.
I think the main difference is a little mor metal in the housing, however the D-Lux viewfinder is build solid as well.
So I dont really see the point to buy 200€ extra.