The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

using M9 or M8 together with DSLR

Paratom

I just wondered how many of you guys carry mixed equipment.
I mean instead of either carrying the M9 gear with several lenses OR the Canon/Nikon/Sony gear with several lenses to carry lets say a DSLR with a 70-200 zoom AND a M9 with a 35mm lens on the other shoulder instead of carrying 2 Nikons or carrying the DSLR together with several lenses?

How much overlap do you have in your gear?

On one side using "mixed" equipment could mean the risk to have images which do not look 100% consistent. The other thing is workflow - is it hard for the mind to use 2 different cameras at the same time...

On the other side the idea to use a DSLR with a zoom/tele and a M9 with 1 or 2 primes for the wide angle-normal range seems interesting to me.
I plan to do try it more often.

Don Libby

Good question(s).

My “normal” landscape kit until I got the M9 had consisted of a technical camera and IR camera. I use four lenses with my medium format technical camera ranging from 24 to 120mm and a single 24-105 lens with the IR.

I’m shooting with a 3-lens Leica kit now, 35, 50, and 90mm.

I stopped by Mono Lake in CA last month and walked around there for several hours and carried both the IR and M-9 using both. I found that the M9 kit is complements the focal range I have with the IR so there where several images that overlapped which turned out good.

While in Yosemite I normally used both my medium format and M9 and found the 90mm very close to my Schneider 120 (the 90 is just a tad closer).

I’m not sure I’d routinely carry dual equipment rather I see carrying the camera that fits the situation. On long hikes I’d carry the lightest while if it were a short walk, more than likely the medium format kit. The IR gets carried if the conditions favor IR over other traditional color.

It really isn’t a major problem with workflow as I routinely processes multiple camera formats from a trip that Sandy and I take; the tip here is to concentrate on one camera at a time till you’re done. This past trip I was by myself and used 3 separate cameras during that time sometimes multiple cameras in one day; I used my same workflow by working on one system at a time.

Sorry for the long rambling response

Don

D&A

Yes, Good Question(s)! I'm sure you'll get a lot of diverse responses. For myself personally, if shooting simply for myself, I've done the mixed system route (M digital as well as DSLR and accompanied lenses for each system)....sometimes with a slant towards wide angel end for M and telephoto use of DSLR. It was alright, but unless I needed something longer than a 135mm and a DSLR body had to come along, personally I shy away from situations like this.
When I'm shooting professionally, unless I have a 2nd, 3rd shooter, and one of them is dedicated to a particualr system, I much prefer to keep it to one kind of system only. I felt the workflow while shooting wasn't as comfortable as I like.

In regards to matching images from the different systems on a given shoot, there again it depedned what kind of shoot it was and whether it was critical that the images match or whether the look, color rendition etc. complemented each other. In weddings, there can be a mix of "formal" (with DSLR for example) and "PJ" style (with M digital)...but in some other situations, then again I prefer if the immages came from a matched system.

There is no one right answer..it's what works for a particular indiviudal and their given situation and of course preferences. Just my own particular thoughts.

Dave (D&A)

PSon

Tom,
It all depending on the applications I will use that day. However, I can also cut down the amount of lens or system depending how much time I will be shooting. Here is my formulas for all out shooting in a long day with some lenses overlapping different systems/formats:

I) Landscape/Wildlife - When I shoot landscape, I will likely to shoot wildlife and macro as well.
1. Leica M9 - Summilux 75 + longer lens (to be obtained)
2. Leica DMR - 2.8/35-70 + 2.8/70-180 + Hasselblad SA 350 + Apo 1.4x TC
3. Canon 5D Mark II - TS-E 17mm + TS-E 24mm Mark II + 2.8/70-200 + Hasselblad SA 350 + Apo 1.4x TC + Contax S-Planar 4/100
4. Sinar Hy6 - 55 PCS + 4/90 + 2/110 + 2.8/180
5. Sinar m - 4/40 AF + SA 350 + Apo 1.4x
6. Alpa TC - x lenses to be named later

II) Architecture - When I shoot architecture, I will likely to do street shooting well.
1. Leica M9 - 2/28 + 1.4/50
2. Canon 5D Mark II - TS-E 17mm + TS-E 24mm Mark II
3. Alpa XY - 55 PCS + x lenses to be named later

III) Event - Normally people and the environment surrounding and condition of the event
1. Leica M9 - 2/28 + Noctilux
2. Leica DMR - Leica 2.8/35-70 + Leica 2/180
3. Canon 5D Mark II - 2.8/24-70 + 2.8/70-200 + 1.2/85
3. Leaf AFi 7 - 2.8/50 AFD + 2/110

IV) Model
1. Leica DMR - 2.8/35-70 + 2.0/180
2. Canon 5D mark II - 1.2/85
3. Leaf AFi 7 - 2.8/50 + 2.0/110

Son

LJL

As the others have so aptly mentioned, a lot does depend upon the nature of the shoot. If it is personal, then take along whatever you feel is going to provide the kinds of images for the type of shooting you want to do. If it is more of a professional shoot, then take and use what will get you results you need, and that may also provide the most consistency, both in look and workflow.

For example, if I am out shooting for pleasure, I many times prefer only one camera an few lenses for the subject (street, wildlife, cityscape, etc.). If I am doing something like a portrait shoot, on the other hand, I may take both the M8 and a few lenses, plus my DSLR gear and appropriate lenses, using both to capture different aspects or looks from the shoot. The handling can become a bit confused at times, but the more you do it, the better and faster the adjustment to the camera handling differences becomes. Shooting the M8 + Noctilux for very specific moods or effects is worth the slowing down and being deliberate, while within that same shoot, the DSLR, with fast AF and a fast zoom would be the preferred choice for other types of shots. Almost every time I have used both systems, the client has selected images from each, not really knowing which was which, but because they liked the particular look or composition or something. It most likely would be far easier to just shoot with one system, and the images would look more consistent, but that may not be the overall objective, in some cases.

On other engagements, one system may be preferred over the other. I almost never even bother taking the M8 to any sports shooting things, as I know I will almost never pull it from the bag. And similarly, at some lower key events, I do not bother with the big, bulky, obtrusive DSLR to try to capture more relaxed or intimate moments. Other times, it has paid to have both along....the DSLR will provide more predictably consistent results, while there are times when the M8 + 75 Cron allows me to capture moments nearly silently.

So, using two (or more) systems just requires some planning, both for the gear, as well as for the mindset for shooting. The second part about consistency of look and workflow is a separate, but equally important topic, but should not discourage one from using different tools.

LJ

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm not a pro so my approach might be somewhat different. What I do tend to find is that I shoot better when I stick to one system or the other - carrying both seldom results in as much shooting or inspiration in my experience.

When I want a small travel outfit I'll take along my M9 and either just the 35 'lux, or M9 & 21, 35, 50 & 90.

When I want maximum flexibility and I'm taking my SUV, I'll stick with my Nikon outfit which has everything from 14mm -> 600mm. I have 3 basic setups for this and they range from D3s & 28/1.4 only, D3s/D3x & 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 & 105 macro or 200/4 macro, or the full kahuna including 200-400 & 600 lenses which is a full SUV load.

When I have both systems, one or the other tends to get used exclusively that day.

Last edited:

gero

I just came back from a weekend hike & camping. I took the R9 with the 15-2.8 and the 80-1.4 plus the M5&M8 with the 15cv, 21-2.8zeis, 35-1.4 & noctilux.

I shot 90% of the time with the R9&15 (that is just a killer combination) but both the other cameras where very usefull at times and complement that very wide 15R. I am thinking that the cv12 would have been good to have.

Paratom

thanks so far for the responses.
I guess it is a question of personal style.
However it is also a question of money.
Lets say you have some nice primes for the Leica M in the wide to normal range, and a DSLR for tele. Do you still feel you need comparable lenses in the wideangle -normal range for the DSLR.

The other thing is that switching lenses all the time drives me crazy.
Thats why I want to try to carry the DSLR with the telezoom 70-200 plus the M9 with 1 or 2 lenses like the 35/2.5 or 24 and 50mm.

fotografz

I pretty much mix and match systems based on creative ideas I want to try, or specific things I need to accomplish. The driver is usually lens based.

I have done this for so long now, that mixing systems presents no issues.

For weddings, it depends on the venue conditions. Usually a DSLR with a 24-70 and flash for the obligatory, expected shots like the processionals etc., plus a 135.

For anything else I can do with a rangefinder, it's the M9 and usually 3 or 4 lenses: 21, 28, 50, 90 ... or a 24, 35, 75. The plan is 2 M9s ... one dedicated to WA, and the other 35mm on up using a Mag.

WATE is a general walk about lens for travel, along with a 35 and 90.

The only Macro lens I own is a 120/4 for the MFD.

Marc

PeterA

@ 18 megapixels + best lenses + the ergonomics the M9 is a compelling value propostion. Another camera is required to do stuff that the M9/M8 combo I have doesn't do- and the only things it doesnt is give me tilt shift lenses and tele - in particular the image stabilised 70-200 range. I am not fussed about high ISO shooting - for my purposes it doesn't ever get used.

So do I fork out for a technical camera with tilt and shift capability and the high prices of each lens - or do I buy a 5D11 ?

I just picked up my M9 yesterday - WOW.

PSon

Peter,
Congratulation on the M9.

I normally never use high ISO as well but when I was in Florida 3 weeks ago, the high ISO allow me to capture the lake from the rocking boat in the early morning. I still like the Leica R lens on my Canon when I need speed to freeze the action and minimizing the option of going to too much high ISO setting.
Best Regards,
Son

fotografz

Good to hear your M9 arrived!!!!! Seductive piece of kit to be sure. Wait until you take a look at the images ... other stuff in the gear box tends to just sit there.

What is cool is that unlike the M8, there is a much wider selection of ISO choices ... so rather than jumping from 320 to 640 to 1250 you can also select 500, 800, 1000. 800 and 1000 is pretty good. 1250 is also if exposed well and processed in C1.

Check which firmware is installed, there is a very recent update that improves the M9 ... especially the reformatting function and LCD views at higher ISOs.

My dealer called and a second one is heading my way just in time for wedding season. WaHoo!

Peter, don't you already have a 35mm DSLR? If you don't need really high ISO, Check out the Sony A900 and Zeiss 135/1.8 or Sony 70-200/2.8G APO.

I'd do T/S with a tech camera and MFD back since T/S a more thoughtful slow paced process anyway.

What are you thinking? Updating your ALPA? Or the Sinar?

-Marc

Paratom

For a DSLR+70-200 combo I can highly recommend the d700+70-200/2.8VRII combo. That lens really rocks. It even works great with TCs.
I shot some comparisons with the M9+135/3.4 APO and you dont want to see the results. The zoom doesnt look inferior at all plus you can focus it precisly much easier. (its a little heavier though ;) )

PSon

For a DSLR+70-200 combo I can highly recommend the d700+70-200/2.8VRII combo. That lens really rocks. It even works great with TCs.
I shot some comparisons with the M9+135/3.4 APO and you dont want to see the results. The zoom doesnt look inferior at all plus you can focus it precisly much easier. (its a little heavier though ;) )
Can you expand on the M9 + Apo 3.4/135 compare to the 70-200 zoom?
thanks,
Son

unclearconcept

Similar to what you mentioned above Son, i enjoy shooting macro at the same time I'm shooting landscapes/cityscapes. are there any lenses that would function well on an M9 for macro photography? i have a 50lux pre-asph and a 24elmarit asph at the moment. (edit: obviously those are not options - they are just what i'm working with, but i have been reading about M macro lenses that are built on extension tubes, and have issues where you cannot collapse them without destroying the sensor on an M9, so... that's kinda scary sounding)

i have been thinking of investing in a DSLR camera to use for macro shooting simply because you can judge results through the lens immediately. any suggestions? I have 2 Minolta macro lenses, but I'm not sure where to find info on what digital bodies they might fit. Dealing with sensor sizes, crop factor and all that has been rather confusing to know how they would work. My other option is obviously investing in a new (or new to me at least) kit.

thanks!

Last edited:
Most jobs I use the M9 in the range of 28-75 mm, and a D3 with a 70-200 zoom. Before I got the 21 lux, I used a 17-35 on my D3 for wide coverage, now the 21 lux covers most of the wide angle needs on the M9. I will use the nikon 28/1.4 at times though. Otherwise the D3 comes out when I need iso 3200 (or even up to 6400). If I need macro type event shots, I use the great Zeiss 50/2 makro ZF. I find the systems work extremely well together. best...Peter

Stuart Richardson

Most times, I just take the M9 out on its own, or with a film M. If I am planning doing a lot of shooting and have a car or something to shoot out of, I will bring along either a medium format film camera or my 4x5 camera.

Sharokin

For years I shot newspaper and editorial with a Canon EOS 1N/1V (long glass) along with an M6/MP (up to 50mm)
A perfect blend.