The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question RE: Coding and turn-around time.

roanjoh

I've googled and searched but can't seem the find an answer.

First, how much does it cost to code an un-coded Leica lens? Where is it sent and what is the turn-around time?

Also heard that they calibrate the lens while being coded - is that always the case or do you have to specify?

Thanks!! Any help would be appreciated.

:)

Terry

Time is dependent on whether or not they have the specific lens mount on hand.
It goes to NJ and they can do the work there (since you would be sending from NY).
Not sure of current pricing
They do calibrate the lens but I have heard of some cases where there have been problems (pre-existing) with a lens and there was a cost to fixing.

thrice

I'm sending a lens for full CLA (needs aperture blades cleaned and helical regreased) as well as coding to Sherry Krauter of The Golden Touch and that is going to cost me $125 for the CLA and $175 for the coding plus the cost of postage. I assume Sherry calibrates/shims the lens if necessary, which is a necessity with the summiluxes (my lens is a 35 lux asph). Sherry quotes 3-4 week turnaround but I think that's just for the CLA, probably another week or so for the coding? I'm not sure.

I have heard of Leica NJ only replacing the flange, not doing any testing or any calibration and lenses requiring a trip to Solms if they need a proper overhaul and recertification, I have read of this costing one user $900 and 3-4 trips to Solms.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I recently sent two lenses off to Leica NJ for coding back in mid December. They cost $175 each for coding and were returned to me at the end of February. I don't believe that they perform a full calibration, although they do obviously check that the lens is within spec and if there are any issues they quote to fix those before coding.

monza

4-6 weeks at $175 at Leica NJ

DAG charges $95 and it's about 3 weeks; the work is actually sub-contracted to John Milich, he sends the flange to John.

roanjoh

I have heard of Leica NJ only replacing the flange, not doing any testing or any calibration and lenses requiring a trip to Solms if they need a proper overhaul and recertification, I have read of this costing one user $900 and 3-4 trips to Solms.

:eek: oh my......... $900!!!

roanjoh

Thanks Monza - might inquire on getting my lens coded there. Cheaper with a quicker turn-around time.

Leica has a list of lenses they won't code, but DAG can code a number of lenses that they can't or won't. Leica just swaps the mounts, if the screws wouldn't interfere with the coding area. But Don + Milich mill the old mount & can make the coding work even on lenses where screws fall under the code.

Kirk

M

Mango

roanjoh

roanjoh,

While you're considering the coding logistics, get yourself a Bo Coder for $5, and code the lens yourself, it works perfectly. I use it for my lenses.

It makes no sense for me to send my lenses for weeks, pay for the coding, and risk them messing up the smooth functionality, which has happened in some cases.

http://bophoto.typepad.com/bophoto/2009/01/m8-coder-simple-manual-handcoding-of-m-lenses.html

Here are the codes:

http://whimster-photography.com/leica_m_lens_codes/index.html
Mango - THANKS so much!!! For $5 it can't hurt right?? I will mainly be coding a Zeiss 21 and 35. (I am crossing my fingers that it will work)

roanjoh

Just an update with the Bo coder:

Was able to successfully code the Biogon 21 f2.8 - now I don't have to worry about cyan corners wide open.

OTOH, unable to properly code the Leica 35 Summilux..........also the 50 Summicron. No big deal as it only cost me $5 - and it worked on the ZM 21 (a gorgeous wide lens that I will be keeping for sure).

thrice

My lens has been with Sherry Krauter for 3 weeks now, after several e-mails asking to know the status (she didn't tell me when she received the lens) I finally got an e-mail saying it will be cleaned and 6-bit coded (no further detail).

In her original correspondence she quoted 3-4 weeks, so we'll see come Thursday (4 weeks since she received the lens) whether she can stick to quoted timeframes.

I get a strong impression from her e-mails that she has an excessive workload at the moment. This causes me stress as my chrome 35 Summilux asph was perfect aside from needing aperture blades cleaned and the aperture ring tightened. It had essentially no focus shift that I could detect on the M9, and I'd hate for it to arrive out of calibration or noticeably focus shifting just for the sake of being pristinely clean.

Tim Gray

I sent a 28/2 in last year to Leica for a cleaning of the aperture blades and coding. Coding was quoted at $175. It took a bit over two months, but I had sent it in right before the M9 was released - I don't know if that mucked up their schedule somehow.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
My lens has been with Sherry Krauter for 3 weeks now, ....

I get a strong impression from her e-mails that she has an excessive workload at the moment. This causes me stress as my chrome 35 Summilux asph was perfect aside from needing aperture blades cleaned and the aperture ring tightened. It had essentially no focus shift that I could detect on the M9, and I'd hate for it to arrive out of calibration or noticeably focus shifting just for the sake of being pristinely clean.
I had a lens cleaned & top/bottom serviced by Sherry plus a lens repaired by her a while back and her work was flawless. I wouldn't worry about getting a sub-standard job from her, regardless of how busy she might be.

I also just got back my M9 and four lenses that I sent to DAG for calibration and I have to say that I'm VERY happy with the job he did for me. Everything just focuses exactly as I'd expect it to with no front/back/shift focus any more :thumbs: Great service with a 3 week turnaround - highly recommended.