The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1, the Son of M8

markwon

When the Dlux4 was first introduced, Leica called it the Son of M8. I got one of the first ones available in the US and used it for about a year. Though I enjoyed the camera in many respects, in its design and operational character, it was not even a remote cousin to the M8.

After shooting the X1 for a day, with the CV 35mm finder, both in AF and MF modes, I must say that it was the closest thing to shooting with my M8 in a smaller package. Sure the RF and manual lenses on the M body is faster and more precise. But the X1 is great for its size and ISO performance. The files are robust and the operation of the camera was extremely fluid. It was a good thing I picked up that extra battery though!

X

One color

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Wow, what a lovely series of images, Mark. The first set of "dynamic" images that I have seen to show that the X1 can shoot action. As usual, I love your "style" and would love to see more!

Best,
Ashwin

M

Mango

Mark, you rock!

What's the shutter lag like?
Pocketability?
Ease of using manual mode?
Is it worth the "price"? (for us lesser mortals)

Please write a mini review.

Thanks!

markwon

Ashwin and Vic, thank you both for your comments.

What's the shutter lag like?
--in MF, it's virtually absent. Shot to shot time is not bad either, even when shooting raw. I did not feel the speed of the camera made me stop and break my concentration even when shooting several shots consecutively. In AF, the only lag you are dealing with is the AF speed, which is not too bad when set to SPOT and AF single (without macro). I would say in most cases, the AF locks in about a second or so. Come to think of it, I think most if not all these shots were taken in MF.

Pocketability?
--Coat pockets are about the only thing that would fit the camera. Eventually, I plan on just using a neck strap and wear the camera rather than use my current $5 wrist strap. I usually tote it around in a small messenger, covered with an old Sigma DP2 cover. Not the best in size and portability, but the ergonomics are great when shooting with it, which is not often the case with tiny p&s cams.

Ease of using manual mode?
--I don't think people complaining about the MF are using it for street shooting but for different applications, since I found it very usable. The only markings I really use are the 6 ft, and the positions about two or three scrolls farther out, it covers approximately 10-15ft or so. That's usually where I do most of my shooting anyway, at least in good light, at f11 to f16. It was pretty smooth and intuitive for my purposes.

Is it worth the "price"? (for us lesser mortals)
--I guess it depends on how much one needs or wants a camera of this kind. But as an M user, I think you would appreciate the simplicity of design and ease of operation on the X1. The files need no explanation. I think they are as robust as the M files, with a 24 elmarit asph, but with a different look and tones.

Please write a mini review.

This was my first real shooting day with the X1 so its hard to arrive at any final conclusions. But I can say that the X1 is what I was hoping the Dlux4 would have been. I realize now that Leica was not targeting the X1 to those who wanted a DSLR type camera in smaller form (GF1 is better suited for them), but for Leica M users or RF users, who wanted a carry around mini-M. To that end, the X1 is in my book, a great accomplishment.

Thanks!

Lloyd

Wow, what a lovely series of images, Mark. The first set of "dynamic" images that I have seen to show that the X1 can shoot action. As usual, I love your "style" and would love to see more!

Best,
Ashwin
Big vote from me for more!! Looking very impressive so far, for sure. :thumbup:

M

Mango

Mark, Keep them coming!

Is your M8 feeling lonely now?

I wonder if it's economically feasible for Leica to produce one or two "Daughters of M8/9" cameras; one having a fixed focal length of 35mm, and the other with 50mm, as these two focal lengths seem to be the most popular amongst casual snappers. Having a fixed focal length would allow for a smaller body, less parts, and faster shutter lag.

markwon

Mark, Keep them coming!

Is your M8 feeling lonely now?

I wonder if it's economically feasible for Leica to produce one or two "Daughters of M8/9" cameras; one having a fixed focal length of 35mm, and the other with 50mm, as these two focal lengths seem to be the most popular amongst casual snappers. Having a fixed focal length would allow for a smaller body, less parts, and faster shutter lag.
Vic, your guess is right on! I haven't used my M8 since I got the X1. It's also because I carry the X1 everywhere I go, while I would take the M when I have a camera bag with me. I think a 50mm X2 would be a great companion to the X1 too.

At the moment, I am looking at the X1 as a smaller carry around backup to the M8, but only time will tell whether the M8 will remain my main camera or not. I think you should give the X1 a try if you can find one at a local dealer!