The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

90 recommendations?

mwalker

Subscriber Member
On my trip this summer I have made the following lens choices;

21 2.8 and 28 cron for outside cv12 as well
35 Lux for inside
50Lux for Portraits

but I think I need something on the long end like a 90. I'm a little confused there, any recommendations?

Terry

I'm using the 90 Summarit and like it. Not much bigger than the 90 macro I sold.

Easy to focus, reasonably fast (OK very fast vs my equivalent Nikon lens) and not overly expensive.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Given my 90 experience, I think I will be keeping my chrome pre-asph, dumping my beater asph and get the summarit.
1) It is used not that often by me
2) The summarits are lighter and smaller, which is a benefit for me
3) They have a reputation for being easier to focus (I am not sure why, Terry can you explain?)
4) it is only a half stop slower
5) any very much less money
-bob

Terry

It just seems when you turn the ring I don't have to play around much. Guy, I think got it correct in that the throw (distance) from close to infinity is small you don't mess around with lots of fine tuning. Smaller moves on focus ring have bigger changes in focus. I haven't been using the magnifier either (but YMMV).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
And that was one reason I like the 90 and 75mm summarits was the focus was a short throw. I just seemed to nail focus a lot easier and it is very good wide open also.

irakly

the best 90 i've ever had was (and is) fat tele-elmarit. it is the size and weight of the current 1.4/50 asph (i am talking about chrome version) with non-existent XA and very smooth bokeh. oh, it is sharp too :)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
My vote is for the 90 summicron asph. Read the E . Putts review. Once my system was properly calibrated ..it just is amazingly sharp . The reason for the longer throw is to aid in fine tuning the focus (same as Noctilux and 75 summilux) and is necessary when using it wide open. I use this lens a lot and have just forgotten about the size. The summarits do seem to be a great value if this isn t a priority focal length and have the advantage of a smaller size.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Good point , all of these 90's will have a certain look to them. The modern 90 apo is clinical to say what Irakly just described. Problem is there are a slew of 90's out there . One lens i liked also was the latest 90 2.8 elmarit also some folks like the 90 pre asph lens. The 90 Summarit is more acting like a 90 apo per say. Guess the real question to ask yourself is what you want your 90 to look like. I have for example a 50 pre asph Lux which gives me a nice feel and great bokeh but than i have a 75 cron that is sharp as a tack and more clinical looking . I try to setup my lenses to look a little differnt so depending on what I am shooting i will grab more for look than anything else. Something to consider in your choices.

Stuart Richardson

One lens that I really like is the 90mm M hexanon, cheap, beautifully made, and sharp as heck. Coding does not matter at this focal length, so unless you need f/2 to be blisteringly sharp, get the m hexanon or an elmarit (or summarit). Good 90mm lenses are easy to make...

Peter Klein

I have both a 90 Summicron and a 1960s Elmarit. Neither focus quite right on the M8.

On the other hand, I also have a humble CV 90/3.5 "APO Lanthar." It focuses fine, does not shift, and gives beautiful rendition. It's also small and light. It's not clinical, but it is sharp. A bit lower contrast than the Leica ASPHs, so it make a good sunny-day lens, to use Sean Reid's term. Inexpensive, too--particularly used.

From the image below, I can make an 11x14 print, and count individual trees on the high snowy ridges in the distance. That's sharp enough.

--Peter

Last edited:
M

Michael Rivers

I chose the Leica 2.8, latest, because I don't use a 90 much except for travel, and it weighs much less than the the 90mm Cron Asph. I don't have the magnifier, but I also tend to use the lens at infinity for landscapes like the above photo where I don't need to focus precisely.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
With resopect to Bob's post above:

1) It is used not that often by me, only when I need to go long and only have the M with me
2) The summarits are lighter and smaller, which is a benefit for me
3) They are easier to focus than other 90's I've owned (which is several); I suspect due to having a faster focus throw than the other 90's
4) it is only a half stop slower
5) it is reasonably priced for this niche

Which is precisely why I sold all my other 90's and replaced them with a single Summarit. However, a good 90 Elmarit may be an even better choice if you don't shoot much. A bit slower at f2.8, but about the same size and probably even less money used with excellent optical quality is the 90 Elmarit. OTOH, if you are going to use it a lot, and want the best image quality, the APO Asph Cron is tough to beat.

vieri

I have and love the 90 pre-ASPH Cron. Fantastic lens, sharp but with a great look, can be had relatively cheap... what could I want more? A free Nocti, maybe... :D

harmsr

Workshop Member
Take a serious look at the latest 90/2.8 Elmarit (which was just discontinued in favor of the Summarit).

In size they are very similar, however I give the advantage to the Elmarit with its built in hood.

I honestly believe the Elmarit gives better image quality out to the corners of a full frame (ie: film) and even on the M8. Mine seemed to also edge out the Summarit in its ability to render fine details and a larger tonal range.

It is like the Summarit in ease of focus, since they are both geared with a short throw.

Best,

Ray

Don Hutton

I went through this 90mm saga too - ended up with 3!! All great and different - I have the 90ApoAsph, 90pre asph and the macro elmar... I'd highly recommend you buy just one - and learn to like it if need be - it will be much cheaper!

fotografz

With you all the way on that RAY. I have a 90/2.8 which I had calibrated along with my 90/2AA ... so I thought I'd sell both of them for the 90/2.5 ... my dealer sent me one and it fell short of both the other lenses ... not as sharp as the f/2AA and lacked the character and bokeh of the f/2.8. ... so I sent it back. Didn't like the lens hood either.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
:bugeyes::toocool: Terry, I wish I lived close to civilization so I could try em out...I'm think I'm going to try to find a used elmarit.